• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I really want to help this quaker-pics of him and his cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I've talked to the woman who has him, an ex boyfriend of hers left him there and she doesn't know too much about birds and she doesn't have a lot of time to spend with him.

She said her boyfriend got him from someone that raised him on chicken feed :confused: . He's on seed now. As you can see in the pictures the paint is coming off of his cage. She said she had another smaller cage (I don't have another bigger one right now) that she could let go with him that isn't chipping pain. She just didn't know how dangerous that can be. I also noticed especially in one place the bars are bent and he may get his head through it. She does care about the bird, she said she has been praying someone would come give him a good home.

He hasn't been handled in about a year she said. I don't know how old he is, she couldn't see the band to see if the hatch year is on it. She was guessing a couple of years.

The thing is, right now as far as money, if he has some medical issues, then I just can't afford it. A vet exam, blood work I could do, but not ongoing expensive vet care.

But I really want to help him. :(:(:(

She lives an hour and 1/2 from here. Should I just go get him? Get her to meet me half way? Even if I can't afford him right now, I could at least get him out of there and over to a rescue if I had to. Of course I would explain that to her and tell her about the rescue, I'm sure she would be fine with it, she just wants him to be happy. I really want him though.

I went to bed thinking about him and woke up thinking about him. I can't just leave him there, in that cage, sitting in a back room, knowing he hasn't been out of the cage in a year. How sad. :(

Like I said, she does care, she just doesn't know about birds. I think she may be scared to get him out of the cage. I'm glad she's thinking about the bird and trying to find him a good home.

It wouldn't be fair to him for me to take him and not be able to get ongoing medical care, if he needs it, which he may not, and the rescue here may not have foster homes open. I just can't leave him though. She has only had 2 other calls and no one showed up. And what if he goes to a home that doesn't know about birds, he may very well bite after not being handled for so long, and they may just leave him sitting in his cage if they don't know how to work with him.

I need some input.

Here are the pictures. Bless his heart.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you need to get him out of that cage..go get him..even if you have to take him to a rescue..just get him out of there..pronto..

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Isn't it sad? I cannot leave him there. He has to come out of there now. She may even meet me halfway, if she can get him out of the cage to put him in some kind of carrier. She doesn't get home until after dark and driving up rt. 77 in the dark scares me. It's in the middle of nowhere. And, he may be fine health wise. I'm going to try and get in touch with the rescue today, just in case I can't keep him. I told her some of the symptoms of lead toxicity and she said he doesn't have any of them.

Poor little boy. :(

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Might be surprised and it could be in good health but ya it needs out of the cage - rather the paint's peeling or not, it is a ROUND CAGE! which is a NO-NO from the start

You don't even have to give it up to a rescue, get him out of that cage and find a forever home on your own for him. Anything is better than that cage. and no human contact

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I would go get him. At least you can provide him with a home, decent food and love until you can find him a forever home

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I'm going to call her and see if she'll meet me with him. If the other cage she has isn't any better then I do have a small one, which is better than the one he's in. She said I could come get him Saturday or Sunday. I want him out of there sooner, but it may have to wait until then.

Kelli, isn't that round tall cage horrible?

The reason I was thinking of the rescue was if he has any serious health issues because of his history that could run into a lot of money. I know the rescue would take care of that. Once I get him checked by my vet I'll feel better. I want to keep him. I do have a vet fund set aside but not enough for a long on going illness due to diet etc. Which may not be that expensive? I just want to do better for him than he has now. We are trying to get hubby's unexpected medical bills paid off or I wouldn't worry about the cost right now. That's the reason I haven't gotten any more birds right now that I really want. I have to get him out of there though.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I'm going to call her and see if she'll meet me with him. If the other cage she has isn't any better then I do have a small one, which is better than the one he's in. She said I could come get him Saturday or Sunday. I want him out of there sooner, but it may have to wait until then.

Kelli, isn't that round tall cage horrible?

The reason I was thinking of the rescue was if he has any serious health issues because of his history that could run into a lot of money. I know the rescue would take care of that. Once I get him checked by my vet I'll feel better. I want to keep him. I do have a vet fund set aside but not enough for a long on going illness due to diet etc. Which may not be that expensive? I just want to do better for him than he has now. We are trying to get hubby's unexpected medical bills paid off or I wouldn't worry about the cost right now. That's the reason I haven't gotten any more birds right now that I really want. I have to get him out of there though.

it is I wouldn't even use that for flowers! Trash bag holder Maybe

I know how unexpected bills go :( have those here our self and it never fails they always pop up at the holidays :(

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I just wrote her to see if she can get him out of the cage and into a carrier and possibly meet me somewhere before this weekend. She said she lives out in the middle of nowhere and I'm not so sure I could find it at night. But either way, he'll be out of there this weekend, hopefully sooner.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I definitely say take him even if you have to rehome him or take him to a rescue later.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I just wrote her to see if she can get him out of the cage and into a carrier and possibly meet me somewhere before this weekend. She said she lives out in the middle of nowhere and I'm not so sure I could find it at night. But either way, he'll be out of there this weekend, hopefully sooner.

Hooray!

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hope you're able to get the poor bird out of there soon and he doesn't have any ongoing health issues.:hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I know that once he's here that I'm not going to be able to let him leave. It would break my heart to have to do that.

I just want him to have a life he deserves. No wonder her ex is an EX!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yeah I can see why.

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Please take him . Conditions are so bad. Poor baby.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I'm definitely going to take him. I just called my vet's office and got an estimate on the tests he would most likely want to do for a bird of unknown age and unknown health issues.

If he is not showing any symptoms of illness should I let him settle in a while before I take him to the vet? He will of course be in quarantine.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just one more comment on that round cage. Not only is it round (bad), those decorative scrolls and etc. around the cage are dangerous. Probably the most dangerous part of the cage. It is easy for a bird to get a head, leg or wing caught in those scrolls and get seriously injured or killed.

No one of us can save and keep every bird in distress. Sometimes we are just a conduit for the bird to have a better life. Nothing wrong with that - it's saving a bird too.
ML

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I noticed that too ML. I hope the other cage she has can be used, if not the only other one I have is about 18x18? The one that MJ came in when I got her. That would be better than the one he's in. I may be able to find one on craigslist.

I heard back from the rescue. They said they could help if I decided not to keep him but it may take them a bit to find a foster home. And they screen people very well.

First thing is to get him out of there. asap!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
"First thing is to get him out of there. asap!"

You are very right. It's a disaster waiting to happen for that bird. We do our best, but can't have everything perfect all of the time. Thank you, for helping him.
ML

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Your a great person if you can help this bird out, even if it's only to find him a good new forever home.

Status
Not open for further replies.