• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I really don't want to do this

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I guess I could try contacting some.
That would be a start. There's another option too. I don't like it personally but it is an option. Are you friendly with a good pet store? Sometimes they can (unofficially) look after birds short term.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Is you feel concerned about them, feel free to post videos:) I think you are doing a great job caring for them, but I also think you are stressing yourself a bit over things that are not so scary after all:) it's good you are watching their health, but it shouldn't affect your health in return. What was the wing shaking you were describing? I have lovebirds, they have vibrating wings when they are happy, excited, tons of things. Sometimes for no reason I know, but we'll they have done it since the first day they were here, and have gotten several clean bills of health. Not everything out of the ordinary is bad:)

chuckylove

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
LLOYD
hello again, I’m late to reply and I’ve never seen poop like that, but my budgie does sit on the perch like yours.. mine is blue too and he just chills sometimes he doesn’t want to join in and will fluff up and rest for a little bit, I noticed when the other bird flew next to he reflexed and went back to normal

I have seen some miserable looking budgies on google image search when i have been researching and they have survives with no feathers, overgrown beaks, crusty faces etc, and yours looks wuite nice.. mine had a bit of crust when he was molting and it flaked off eventually, but I was getting concerned because one google search said liver cancer! I mean all we can do is just give them our best

I’m not a behavioural expert in birds or humans, but unless he os panting I think your budgie looks ok, and maybe it’s you being overly worried.... he doesn’t look ‘unhappy’

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
Yeah, everyone seems to be doing good, thanks! I actually think they've been more active lately.
As for the droppings, I'm trying something out. I noticed that when I didn't have the pellets that they liked, meaning they weren't really eating any pellets, I didn't notice the wet droppings. I'm guessing it's possible that Toby forms a habit of drinking more water when he's eating pellets? I'm not sure, but I've removed pellets for now and am going to be watching.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah, everyone seems to be doing good, thanks! I actually think they've been more active lately.
As for the droppings, I'm trying something out. I noticed that when I didn't have the pellets that they liked, meaning they weren't really eating any pellets, I didn't notice the wet droppings. I'm guessing it's possible that Toby forms a habit of drinking more water when he's eating pellets? I'm not sure, but I've removed pellets for now and am going to be watching.
Sounds plausible, pellets usually have a low water content, so when the eat them they have to drink more water to make up for that:)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Anxiety is a thing that goes up and down. You may have accumulated some issues unrelated to your birds that are causing your stress? So right now you’re having a lot of anxiety- what I call unwarranted worry.
I was diagnosed in the past with anxiety and ptsd. I strongly recommend seeing a therapist. They give you tools to help so you can handle the situation without a panic attack, and so you follow healthy steps (like coming here first for advice before calling the vet).
Also, as you work through the underlying problem you will have less anxiety. I believe that as this happens you’ll feel more confident about caring for your birds .
If you want to rehome your birds, you will survive it and after the initial grief it will be okay. The question I use is: will this bird be better off with someone else? If the answer is yes, let them go.
But in your case the answer might be no. You sound like a good birdie parent. Only you can decide.

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
I actually have been taking anxiety medication for a couple years now. It's for social anxiety, but I'm just an anxious person in general. Maybe I'll talk to a doctor, but I do want to find a therapist.

So, does this look worrying? I'm not sure if I should keep posting this stuff here or start a new thread.

I'm always worried about their breathing. I feel like his is weird? He's been to the vet last year when I thought he had a tail bob, but he was fine so he just sort of has one all the time. This looks worse, though, I think? He was zipping around the cage earlier today though and was doing this shortly after the first video
So I dont want to freak out, but I feel like it's off?? This was right before bedtime, but I dont know...

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
After being covered for about an hour, one of the birds flew to another perch and started climbing around, so I uncovered them a bit to check that they got where they wanted to go. This, of course, scared Percy, but I noticed his tail was barely moving (he was breathing quickly because of the startle). Does this indicate a good thing? Or does getting scared just generally make that happen.

Pistachio

Meeting neighbors
I’m not an expert but I would says they are fine. The first clip they just look sleep, cute, and ready for bed. The second one looks pretty normal, slightly labored breathing can happen after exercise or if the bird is anxious. Tail bobbing gets a bad wrap for a good reason, but it doesn’t always mean the sky is falling! lol

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
Okay, the quick breathing still didn't stop after about ten minutes, and he did start tail bobbing again. Does it take a while? I covered them again and will wait until morning but I am worried because OF COURSE ITS THE WEEKEND AGAIN

Last edited:

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
I’m not an expert but I would says they are fine. The first clip they just look sleep, cute, and ready for bed. The second one looks pretty normal, slightly labored breathing can happen after exercise or if the bird is anxious. Tail bobbing gets a bad wrap for a good reason, but it doesn’t always mean the sky is falling! lol
Ah, thanks. I dont think I've ever paid as much attention to their breathing until these last few months, so I'm learning what is normal

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So, does this look worrying? I'm not sure if I should keep posting this stuff here or start a new thread.
That does not look worrying at all. In fact if you watch and listen you can see the bobs are in time with his chirps. Totally normal.
Ah, thanks. I dont think I've ever paid as much attention to their breathing until these last few months, so I'm learning what is normal
That's no real surprise. There's been quite a few threads lately about tail-bobbing, the concern it generates ripples through a lot of our newer budgie parrots.

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
I don't think he was chirping, at least not in the beginning of the video. But thanks, I do feel better.

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
So is it fine for him to look like that intermittently throughout the day? The puffed and hunched look in the video, sometimes chirping and sometimes not. I know there's a difference between sick puffed and relaxed puffed, but I'm wondering if he's more tired than usual.

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
See, sometimes he's like this and I'm like "oh I'm worried about nothing"

But then sometimes he just sits there like this
It's not the best quality, but he's sitting slightly puffed and bunched like in the video I posted Friday.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I actually have been taking anxiety medication for a couple years now. It's for social anxiety, but I'm just an anxious person in general. Maybe I'll talk to a doctor, but I do want to find a therapist.

I'm always worried about their breathing. I feel like his is weird? He's been to the vet last year when I thought he had a tail bob, but he was fine so he just sort of has one all the time. This looks worse, though, I think? He was zipping around the cage earlier today though and was doing this shortly after the first video
So I dont want to freak out, but I feel like it's off?? This was right before bedtime, but I dont know...
He looks perfectly normal in both those videos. In the first video, his tail is bobbing because he is chirping.

See, sometimes he's like this and I'm like "oh I'm worried about nothing"

But then sometimes he just sits there like this
It's not the best quality, but he's sitting slightly puffed and bunched like in the video I posted Friday.
Sitting with the feathers puffed does not necessarily mean that the bird is sick. Budgies get tired, and they take naps sometimes. My profile pic is of my two budgies puffed up and napping after they were running around and playing for a while. They aren't sick.
Your budgies look very happy and healthy. I honestly think that you are overthinking everything, and I don't mean that in a mean way. You obviously love your birds very much, and therefore worry about their health. But, what is the point of having pets if you can't enjoy them? I think you just need to take a deep breath and try to relax a little more. You will know if your birds are actually sick. And when they are, they won't deteriorate as quickly as you think. You'll have enough time to get them to a vet.
For now though, just have fun holding them, playing with them, teaching them tricks, whatever. You and your birds will be a lot happier.

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
Thank you. I know I'm probably being irrational, but it helps to have other bird people tell me, you know? It's just that I've lost two birds to illness within two years, one very suddenly, and one of my birds showed very little symptoms before he started crashing (though this was early in the morning, so I guess any signs leading up to that I wouldn't have seen..). He is fine now, he's the green one you might be able to see hopping around in the background, but it was very scary. I guess I'm constantly waiting for it to happen again, which isn't healthy....Again, hopefully something a therapist can help with - I just keep forgetting to look for one, oops

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I guess I'm constantly waiting for it to happen again, which isn't healthy
I'm so glad you see that for yourself. I hope you can always remember it too.
But still, if you notice anything that worries you or you're just unsure about just keep asking us questions. As much as I'm here for the birds their welfare is based on the care given by a human. I'll help anyone who wants to help their birds.
The fact is once you get over these thoughts and fears you and your flock will settle into a rhythm. Once that happens you'll be able to benefit properly from their company.
And contact that therapist. :lol:

Last edited:

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
I'm so glad you see that for yourself. I hope you can always remember it too.
But still, if you notice anything that worries you or you're just unsure about just keep asking us questions. As much as I'm here for the birds their welfare is based on the care given by a human. I'll help anyone who wants to help their birds.
Thank you, that is very kind. I appreciate it a lot.

chuckylove

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
LLOYD
my budgie does the same, he goes from screaching and flying around to sitting still and having a hunching nap, but to be honest when he is napping we don’t make a sound! we just let him do what he needs to do and if that means having 20 mins of silence and stillness we don’t mind creeping around until he wakes up and starts chirping again..sometimes if he has not chirped a lot in the daytime i will get him out of the cage and play with him until he starts tweeting again, we call it his ‘waterfalls’ because my partner thinks it sounds like a waterfall when he is singing, so once we hear the waterfalls we jnow he is fine, and to be honest if he wasn’t fine and he is hidin an illness like people say budgies do, well it’s good enough for me. He can’t live forever and i accept that, but every day he does live we treasure it and give him the best day of his life! so when he eventually does have to go we know we gave him the best time! that’s what you sound like you are doing.. wishing you a wonderful day