• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I really don't want to do this

ali_and_birdie

Meeting neighbors
Again, hopefully something a therapist can help with - I just keep forgetting to look for one, oops
Hey there! Just chiming in to add my support that you seek assistance from a therapist. The good news is that both social anxiety and generalized anxiety can be treated quite effectively through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). You mentioned being a college student -- most colleges have counseling centers that offer free or very low-cost counseling for students. You can also look on the psychology today website for therapists in your area.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Hi there! I do understand how you feel, as I have an overweight budgie named Blueberry. He is almost six years old. His avian vet told me to not worry so much and he is on the diet the vet recommends to drop some weight. He did lose a bit of grams, but not enough to make a real difference in his breathing. I decided a few months ago that the more stress I exhibit around him...the more he breathes heavily. I can't do anymore than I am doing for him. He has a wonderful life, great clean cage and plenty of toys and healthy perches. I give him as much love as I have! :bighug: I am letting go and letting God handle the rest. I wish you well!

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for your additions! Things are going good. The wet droppings have subsided. I haven't regularly been leaving the house since school transitioned to online, so I still get a bit nervous whenever I get home from being away for the day. I may be starting a new job in the next few weeks, though, which might help me get used to that again (I had a work from home job, but the company had to close permanently because of the pandemic and I have been unemployed since).

I mentioned a while ago, near the beginning of the thread, that Dewey (green) was doing a weird wing twitching thing. This has pretty much stopped completely. I think this is a good thing - maybe it was a product of stress, and now he's calmed down? - but I wanted to post some videos of him just to be looked over. I'm getting better; I'm actually not super worried about him like I may have been before, but he has started to just sit around more when the wing twitching stopped. He still chirps, plays with toys and the other birds, etc, but closing eyes and rocking always makes me nervous - and he has been doing this more, I think, since the twitching stopped. Sorry about the quality; it's hard to get videos without disturbing him (also the cardboard is because I have cats. I don't let them in the room if I'm not there. I'm working on a more permanent solution). I might try to get more later, this is just what I have now. Thanks!

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you all for your additions! Things are going good. The wet droppings have subsided. I haven't regularly been leaving the house since school transitioned to online, so I still get a bit nervous whenever I get home from being away for the day. I may be starting a new job in the next few weeks, though, which might help me get used to that again (I had a work from home job, but the company had to close permanently because of the pandemic and I have been unemployed since).

I mentioned a while ago, near the beginning of the thread, that Dewey (green) was doing a weird wing twitching thing. This has pretty much stopped completely. I think this is a good thing - maybe it was a product of stress, and now he's calmed down? - but I wanted to post some videos of him just to be looked over. I'm getting better; I'm actually not super worried about him like I may have been before, but he has started to just sit around more when the wing twitching stopped. He still chirps, plays with toys and the other birds, etc, but closing eyes and rocking always makes me nervous - and he has been doing this more, I think, since the twitching stopped. Sorry about the quality; it's hard to get videos without disturbing him (also the cardboard is because I have cats. I don't let them in the room if I'm not there. I'm working on a more permanent solution). I might try to get more later, this is just what I have now. Thanks!

Glad to hear you're doing better!
From what I can see in the video, Dewey seems to be a happy, healthy budgie. :)

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
Alright, so. Everything has been fine, but on Saturday, I noticed some sort of weird droppings. More wet and stained yellow (so more the urine than the stool, I think - like what was happening to Toby). I thought it was because I was cleaning out their cage and it was making them nervous, but they are still happening today (though maybe a bit less than before). It's not Dewey, his are fine. Toby's are wet again, but I can't tell if he's the only one producing the weird droppings because I just could not catch Percy pooping. My plan is to find out tomorrow if Percy's droppings are the weird ones. If they are, then I'm going to make a vet appointment because that's not normal for him. If it's just Toby with is wet droppings returning, I'm just going to send his stools in for a culture to avoid an unecessary trip with him. Does this sound reasonable? I think I forgot to mention that when I got him from craigslist, I took home two (she's one of the ones I lost last year..). I believe the other bird was related to him in some way, and she had chronic polyuria, so I'm wondering if there's something genetic going on there?

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
Alright, so. Everything has been fine, but on Saturday, I noticed some sort of weird droppings. More wet and stained yellow (so more the urine than the stool, I think - like what was happening to Toby). I thought it was because I was cleaning out their cage and it was making them nervous, but they are still happening today (though maybe a bit less than before). It's not Dewey, his are fine. Toby's are wet again, but I can't tell if he's the only one producing the weird droppings because I just could not catch Percy pooping. My plan is to find out tomorrow if Percy's droppings are the weird ones. If they are, then I'm going to make a vet appointment because that's not normal for him. If it's just Toby with is wet droppings returning, I'm just going to send his stools in for a culture to avoid an unecessary trip with him. Does this sound reasonable? I think I forgot to mention that when I got him from craigslist, I took home two (she's one of the ones I lost last year..). I believe the other bird was related to him in some way, and she had chronic polyuria, so I'm wondering if there's something genetic going on there?
Hi, from the videos that I've seen your budgies look very happy and they look healthy. It sounds like you're a great bird parent! I completely understand about getting overanxious about your birds. I have OCD so I get very anxious about my bird as well. A lot of the times, it's just us overthinking it. if by wet poops, you mean they have a slight sheen on them, sometimes that happens to my budgie too and he's okay. It could just be extra water in their diet. I think you can save on vet visits for your own health and for that of your birds. There's a forum called health highway where you could ask these questions to avoid vet visits. Being fluffy and rocking a little is normal, especially if a bird is a little chubby lol. It just means they are relaxed. My budgie is a little on the chubby side and he rocks a little to balance when he naps. Obviously, if they are fluffy for most of the day, it could mean they're sick but again from the videos they look very happy and healthy :)

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! By wet I mean there was a somewhat substantial ring of urine/water around the droppings, but luckily they cleared up the next day. I think Toby has a sensitive stomach.

Recently, I worried that two of them seemed more tired than usual, but it looks like they're starting to molt. So, I'm trying not to let that worry me, as a vet visit is probably the last thing they need haha. They also still have bursts of energy, even "zoomies" where they zip around like wild, so I assume they're probably fine. However, I do have a question. Dewey and Percy molted in November - is it not kind of early for them to molt again? I thought they do it twice a year or so?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Dewey and Percy molted in November - is it not kind of early for them to molt again? I thought they do it twice a year or so?
I’ve noticed 4 major molts a year (they drop one long tail feather during each of these) and then some small molts in between.

Kiwi has been in molt for a few months, but almost all the pin feathers are gone now, and he only lost feathers for the first month or so

Edit: I recommend making a new thread so that the posts don’t need to be approved every time

taykiren

Meeting neighbors
Oh, is this the only topic that does that? I didn't realize; I will make a new post in the future, thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, is this the only topic that does that? I didn't realize; I will make a new post in the future, thanks!
Yes only Rehome Highway has post approval on by default due to some past issues :)