• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

i really done it this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
ok i made a play stand for smokey today
he is scared of it
it sits on top of the cage and attachs to the wall for stability
it has 2 legs a long part on top of that and then a perch part
all wood so he could kill it if he wanted to lol he is killing my blinds,window seals and frames so i thought give him something of his own to chew since toys are to normal to chew up lol

its huge, lol
probaly to big,
but i thought he would like

are all toos scared of everything new at first
and now he wont go back to his cage
what should i do
:confused:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
can you lure him in his cage with a huge amount of his favorite treat?

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
yeah but it scares him, he looks up threw his cage and wants out and starts shivering like hes really really scared
mind you i dont know all his past and he was very abused,
so if it scares him i tend to tell him its ok and hold him, and thats what hes doing now on my shoulder and if i walk near the cage he will flip and fly off and then by the 3rd time i can put him in the cage but it dont take long before he looks up and gets scared again,

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
then I would take it off the cage and have it near and slowly move it closer over a period of weeks :hug8:and let him slowly get use to it

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
OOOO I would love to see pictures of it!!!!! I agree with cynthia it will take him a lil time to get used to it but he will come around soon enough. Maybe take it off the cage and set it in the room from afar so he can see it and get used to it from there.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Take it off and start with it away from his house. You don't want him so scared he starts plucking.

Ginger

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
it dont look fabulous lol
im not a great wood worker just trying something for him i guess,
paycheck this week was weak so i thought id build a few toys for him but its not working :(

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
My cockatoos are always scared but also always fascinated.

I agree with the other posters, have it a little bit further away and then let him see you put a treat or favorite toy on it.

I have a video somewhere of introducing a new playstand to The G2s. They were so funny. They wanted to be scared BUT they wanted the nuts that I put on the stand. They would get closer; then run away; get even closer; and then run away.

It is a GREAT way to keep them engaged and interested all day.

BUT it is a fine line between being stimulated and totally freaking him out. Which is why, you want to start out with it a little further away.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
ok well
we took it off the wall mount, and put it all the way across the room on top of one of my dog cages lol
the dogs love it hahahaha
he still wont get on top of his cage now but he is in it and grinding his beak so i figure hes happy just ••••ed off at me, lol
he wont even talk to me today now, :(
but he wants the bf lol go figure
thanks all for helping i thought he would just get up there and figure it out instead of freaking then when he started shaking and acting like i had to hold him i thought that was bad so i better ask bout it

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The next time you want to make him something I would suggest you build it in front of him so he can watch and see what your doing and see it going together. Don't pay attention to him while your doing it. You might get his natural curiosity up to check it out before your even done. JME :)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

The next time you want to make him something I would suggest you build it in front of him so he can watch and see what your doing and see it going together. Don't pay attention to him while your doing it. You might get his natural curiosity up to check it out before your even done. JME :)

Yes I agree. The fids watch me build toys then try and steal them as I am making them, these are birds that have been neglected/abused and are not even used to toys...Mom gets the foraging bucket full of parts and they all want to see whats going on. hahahaha

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
Right!
Thats what his problem is he has come from such a bad and abused home, im not sure he knows what toys are that are bigger then him.
I feel bad, that i scared him, But i know eventually he will like them now, just have to take it slow and remember he is more intelligent then a dog hahahaha

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Most birds are scared of new play stands and gyms and furniture in the house. Give him time to adjust to it in his presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.