• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I put a adoption application in a for a pigeon

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Transport has been arranged, he's coming here on Thursday :heart: .
Why are pigeons not valued as much as dogs or cats? Got the same 'it's a pigeon? is there something special about him?' on the phone from transport service.. they tried to recommend us to travel him 700 kms by road because it would cost a little less.. wouldn't do that to him... he's on a 2 hr flight not 700kms by road..
The million dollar question of humanity & economics!!! Tell them he poops 14K... :pinklol:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Just have to say "thank you for the suggestion, however I can afford to do this" If they ask more than that say "I do not feel comfortable having my spending questioned"
I do get where they are coming from. Most people do not understand pigeons or why they would cost so much. The breeder I got my Modenas from showed me some of his breeder birds that cost around $800 plus ( that is each bird) when he had bought them.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I forgot its already Thursday in NZ...:bliss:

Exciting :excited1:

Safe travels

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How exciting that soon he will be home with you!

Jogging around the block
I was too focused on how cute he is to remember to post an update here :lol:
We picked him up yesterday, understandably he was a bit stressed but today looks to be settling in well :tup:.
S/he is ADORABLE. Even cuter than in the SPCA pic. When you go over to him he coos (his unique coo, it's more like a short 'hm?') at you. I can see a bit better why he's got his name, he's got a very small mane. He's very good at making a mess, likes to stand in his food dish and kick all his seeds and pellets out all over the floor, then eat them on the floor :facepalm:.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He sounds like a unqiue little guy! I can't wait to see more pics of him,ha if you dont like the name you could always change it to something Lion like as a nod to his mane. Simba,Mufasa,Leo,Kimba ect ;)

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Aww, congratulations! What a cute little pigeon!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg::faint: Never saw anything so cute!

Looks like an cross between a Elizabethan collar or the collar on a cape standing up. Maybe like a turkey tail.

Do they breed them like that? He's part frilly? The black & white is stunning...he looks painted. Like how his legs are white/

Jogging around the block
:omg::faint: Never saw anything so cute!

Looks like an cross between a Elizabethan collar or the collar on a cape standing up. Maybe like a turkey tail.

Do they breed them like that? He's part frilly? The black & white is stunning...he looks painted. Like how his legs are white/
I believe they do breed types of pigeons specifically for the frill/mane, I wonder if he has some in his breed mix.
These are Jacobin pigeons
1636069174341.png 1636069189087.png

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
True sometimes birds same as dogs the breeding of strange attributes becomes a health hazard.

If a bird can't see well in front or around its head its not safe so yes it is more easily spooked

I think @Birdbabe rescued one of those rollers I think...So many things stupide humans breed that go against the function of the bird to live.

Look at the adorable new pigeon on the forum...I can't get over the coloration on how it looks like brushstroked paint & those white legs!!!

The little cowlick is so darn cute too.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beauty!! Welcome home, Toupee!