• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I need to know if this article is true or not for my birds safety

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
hi

PLEASE RESPOND

there's been painting going on in my house for about a week now. it was supposed to take a day or two, but they are taking longer than expected. So the couple days I was expecting turned into a week, and they still are painting. I'm getting worried for my birds safety, as she is a gcc and i can smell the fumes from her room.

they are using oil based paints. I found a website saying that they are harmless, and another saying they are some of the worst. i NEED to know which one it is, and if its the latter, I have to rush her out of the house and maybe bring her to the vet over the wknd. Please respond urgently, I need help now.

oil paint is bad Is Oil Paint Safe for Birds? - Blended Canvas

oil paint is ok Safe Paint for Birds: 15 Things Most Beginners Don’t Know! | Birding Outdoors

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most paints are absolutely fine when DRY, which is what the second article is talking about. When actively being used, SOME can emit toxic fumes. You want low or no VOC paint. There ARE safe(r) oil based paint so without knowing the exact brand/type, I don't know if it's safe or not.

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
Most paints are absolutely fine when DRY, which is what the second article is talking about. When actively being used, SOME can emit toxic fumes. You want low or no VOC paint. There ARE safe(r) oil based paint so without knowing the exact brand/type, I don't know if it's safe or not.
just asked, its called davis or davies something like that

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
just asked, its called davis or something like that
Are we painting a room? Furniture? A canvas? I'm afraid "Davis or something" isn't specific enough for me to do any googling for you. You need to know exactly what is being used, including any primers, solvents, etc, depending on what they are being used on.

Find what it is and either contact the manufacturer or check their website or Google it until you have all the answers you are looking for

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
Are we painting a room? Furniture? A canvas? I'm afraid "Davis or something" isn't specific enough for me to do any googling for you. You need to know exactly what is being used, including any primers, solvents, etc, depending on what they are being used on.

Find what it is and either contact the manufacturer or check their website or Google it until you have all the answers you are looking for
they are using davis oil based paints. they are painting two rooms and are painting walls made of wood. the rooms are on the ground floor, and my bird is in a room upstairs with no door that is next to the stairs.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Better safe than sorry… if you can smell fumes then in the same situation I’d move my bird temporarily till the fumes are gone.
When painting you often also use things like thinners/turps to clean up- again, better safe than sorry.