• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some help. . .

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
To preface, it's only been a week and a half since I adopted Slade, and I know we are definitely still getting to know each other and I don't expect it to be sunshine and roses from a traumatized bird, I just need some advice.

So, I'm usually pretty good at reading body language from birds since I worked in a pet store for most of my 20s, and my parents have 7 parrots themselves. I'm having a lot of problems reading Slade and am basically looking for hints on what I should be looking for when he's going to bite. It's been discussed that he probably use to tell people, I'm his forth home, and those signs were ignored so now he just strikes.

I'm not sure if this could also be a poi thing too or not so any hints from other poi owners would be great too. He hasn't actually latched on like he did at the fosters either so I think it may be just test bites anyways. Everything will be going fine and then he lunges and I end up trying to not jump, but I do, but then I turn my back on him (while he's in cage) so he knows I don't like it. Like I said, I don't expect miracles and I'm in this for the long haul to earn his trust, I just want to make sure I can try to read him better if it's possible.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pois and biting....not necessarily predictable. Sometimes they will puff up a bit, sometimes they hold their wings out away from their body, sometimes eyes will start dilating, sometimes they will start running towards you with head down but many times they will just bite and there are no warning signs.
I wouldn't pick up a Poi that is weaving side to side and puffing up. With my Pois who bite/nip that behavior usually means that I will get bit 99% of the time.
It's a good idea to have a t-stick nearby or even a towel but only if your bird will step up on the towel rather than being intimidated by it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's been discussed that he probably use to tell people, I'm his forth home, and those signs were ignored so now he just strikes.
That's about it. It's just going to take "time" and you getting more familiar with him to avoid those bites.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Pois and biting....not necessarily predictable. Sometimes they will puff up a bit, sometimes they hold their wings out away from their body, sometimes eyes will start dilating, sometimes they will start running towards you with head down but many times they will just bite and there are no warning signs.
I wouldn't pick up a Poi that is weaving side to side and puffing up. With my Pois who bite/nip that behavior usually means that I will get bit 99% of the time.
It's a good idea to have a t-stick nearby or even a towel but only if your bird will step up on the towel rather than being intimidated by it.
Thanks! Sounds like I need to watch his eyes a bit more. He'll be fine, no puffing or anything then lunge. I have a t-perch near by, and even though he's scared of it, if he comes out he will step up on to it. I'm trying not to push him at all currently because I want him to learn that I'm not going to force him to do what I want, and that he can trust me. He doesn't seem to want to come out of the cage at all accept the one time, and I feel bad he's just staying in there. He's just so hard to read because he will come up and bow for scritches all the time and most of the time he doesn't try to bite when that's going on, but then other times I will think everything is fine and he strikes, but it's almost like he bopped me with his beak rather than an actual bite. I pull away quickly so I'm not actually sure if it's a warning or he is actually trying to bite. I just hope he can learn that I'm not going to hurt him.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
That's about it. It's just going to take "time" and you getting more familiar with him to avoid those bites.
I thought this would end up being the end solution as well. When he bit me at the foster's it honestly was because she put him on my hand even though he had already told me he didn't want me to pick him up in a nicer way. I just guess I don't want to push him to the point that he feels he needs to bite to tell me I'm doing something wrong, so I have to still figure out his triggers.