• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some help. Please

mybirdandi

Moving in
Real Name
Alyssa Brown
I am hurting. My 5 month old cockatiel has passed away. He was a runt hatchling and severely underweight as well as incredibly small for his species, but he was happy for the short while I had him.
I was aware , or my heart and gut was, that something wasn’t right and he would pass soon. I just didn’t think so suddenly.

I am hurting a lot because this is the third baby I have lost. The first, a conure named Pippen to an accident I couldn’t foresee happen. The second, I had to rehome my beautiful Galah Andrea to a family that was compatible with her needs.(I was but my family was not).And now, Toby. My cockatiel.
It’s a hard confrontation because I do an exceptional job at caring after my babies. And the way ive lost these beautiful souls, has not been my fault.
I feel cursed. Almost like no matter what, the babies I love will leave me. No matter what. No matter the love, the attention I give, the care I provide, the vet bills I pay or the training I employ into their routine, they will leave. It sounds so stupid I know but all I feel is this sign that the universe doesn’t want me to own a feathered friend. Even when I know I’m a good carer and I’ll stand by that.
I just needed to share this because it’s hurting me. I know I want to rescue another bird and home them and love them. I just wish this wasn’t a curse or maybe it’s not am I’m just experiencing harsh times with birds. Who knows. But please, someone tell me I’m insane. Please

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
It is NEVER easy to lose a valued friend. They come into our care, accept our love and give it back in their own way.

You obviously are learning with each interaction. That is all you can do. Learn, change if necessary... and go from there. When you learned to ride a bike, that came w/ falls and scrapes and mistakes. Sometimes also out of your control.

So please don't give up on birds... keep on loving, caring and learning!

MAKE SURE you know all about diet, environment, etc... so it WON'T be your fault. It is SO DIFFICULT to lose a bird.
We will all pass on one day....... today? :sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Maybe it is the universe's way of saying that you are the special person that will love them no matter what and give them a peaceful loving end when they need it. If you take such pride in your care and will give them all they need, then keep going. I also had a couple of rescues that were with me a short time. I had a Tiel that couldn't digest her food well and she passed away at about 6 months. Then I had a Nanday who I rescued from horrid conditions. She too passed away from a freak accident that I could not have foreseen (fell on a clip that was in the cage to hold her treats because she could not stand on one foot). I have a wonderful 39 year old African Gray now. If you give yourself a chance, you will find your heart bird. Hugs to you! You know in your heart that you did your best for the birds and let no one judge you for it.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sorry. It’s not a curse. Did your vet test for infectious diseases postmortem or otherwise determine the cause of death?

I think you should take a critical look at your home, firstly. And if everything checks out get an adult bird.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm so sorry for the loss of your birds, I honestly don't know what to tell you. None of these deaths seem to be your fault, but it would be horrible to lose another bird. Maybe you could work/volunteer at a rescue so you could have the joy of being around birds without any worries

Zoey_Bear2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail
I know how you feel a little bit. I lost both my birds in a short amount of time, the first (Skittles) was my fault for not realizing that there was a cat in the room. But my second parrot (Zoey) died suddenly even though she was deemed healthy by the vet a few months before. So I understand how you feel but it's not true you gave your parrots the best life you could and they had a happy life even if it wasn't as long as you wanted it to be.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I think so many of us feel the same way. We hear about the long life expectancies of parrots and think that with love, proper care and vet visits our birds will thrive. But we also forget that they can be heartbreakingly fragile. My first loss was an exceptional canary. I didn't do research just did what the breeder dictated---when I realized Herbie was ill , I rushed her to the vet . He was able to save her and that's when I learned all the things that were wrong---lighting, perches, gravel paper and ultimately what lead to her death --an all seed diet. I waited and researched so I was completely prepared and knowledgeable when i brought another magical bird home---a tiel, Fritzie. What I did not know was that Pet Smart was acquiring birds from birdie mills. Vetted and I believe well loved and cared for he died the day after a wellness check at the vets. he was only 6 months old. Later I had another bird from Petsmart that had giardia --she almost died (there was another bird in the office from Petsmart , also with giardia) and after treatment , the vets gave up. However in this case Maxie is brain damaged but still alive 20 years later.
I lost a budgie from cancer, and recently, my Quaker, Cricket from leukemia.
My sadness is missing them, and realizing that I probably am now too old(70) to ever get and love another bird. I hate that I will not have the joy of finding out if a new baby--will be smart, funny, loving or crazy. I still have my barely there Maxie and my egg obsessed sun, Rika---and the bird community where I can rejoice in everyone else's babies.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. Many of us here have lost birds and it's always very hard no matter their age or how they were lost. So, we understand how you feel.

mybirdandi

Moving in
Real Name
Alyssa Brown
B
I think so many of us feel the same way. We hear about the long life expectancies of parrots and think that with love, proper care and vet visits our birds will thrive. But we also forget that they can be heartbreakingly fragile. My first loss was an exceptional canary. I didn't do research just did what the breeder dictated---when I realized Herbie was ill , I rushed her to the vet . He was able to save her and that's when I learned all the things that were wrong---lighting, perches, gravel paper and ultimately what lead to her death --an all seed diet. I waited and researched so I was completely prepared and knowledgeable when i brought another magical bird home---a tiel, Fritzie. What I did not know was that Pet Smart was acquiring birds from birdie mills. Vetted and I believe well loved and cared for he died the day after a wellness check at the vets. he was only 6 months old. Later I had another bird from Petsmart that had giardia --she almost died (there was another bird in the office from Petsmart , also with giardia) and after treatment , the vets gave up. However in this case Maxie is brain damaged but still alive 20 years later.
I lost a budgie from cancer, and recently, my Quaker, Cricket from leukemia.
My sadness is missing them, and realizing that I probably am now too old(70) to ever get and love another bird. I hate that I will not have the joy of finding out if a new baby--will be smart, funny, loving or crazy. I still have my barely there Maxie and my egg obsessed sun, Rika---and the bird community where I can rejoice in everyone else's babies.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
bless Your time and love dedicated to your babies. I am so sorry for the pattern of loss you do not deserve. But they watch over you like angels and protect you every day. My deepest condolences to you and thank you so much for your words.

mybirdandi

Moving in
Real Name
Alyssa Brown
Bless all of you. Thank you for your kindness and your heartfelt messages. I wish you all the best of love, luck and faith in your journey of caring for birds. It’s a hard time when they leave us but I am forever thankful, as most say here, for the time I had with them. Always. Thank you guys so much