• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some answers ...

tiancai

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
na
We have raised a baby mynah to fledging ++, still acting like a baby (wanting to be fed) but able to fly far and fast. He is also able to eat on his own if you don't fed it to him.
He flew away one day after being scared by a loud noise while playing in the balcony.

When a friend found a mynah nestling fallen from somewhere (he believed is at least 4 level but couldn't find the nest or parents), he brought it to us saying "it'll be food for the cats and crows around if you don't keep it".
The baby wasn't in a good shape, always sleeping, doesn't respond much to taps and never opens it's beak for food. Seeing that, we decided to give it a try.

We're quite cheapskate and I do regret it, we never thought of bringing it to the vet as it'll definitely be expensive and my father kept saying there is no vets for mynahs and that birds die too easier once they fall sick.
We made him a DIY nest with newspaper and padded it with towels and tissue. The nest is placed inside a box which was covered with a shirt (at night). It's late when we got home and Day 1 passed with him being fed twice that night.

Day 2, still doesn't open it's beak. we gave it cooked oatsmeal (nothing added) and some moistened bread (we gave him the food cold). It ate little but was pretty ok after eating - pooping once or twice after every meal or when we bring it out of the "DIY nest". If we left it inside for long enough, he poops in the nest.
We usually change the tissue paper in his nest after every poop or 2 poops. The newspaper is changed 2x a day.

He was active and sleeps all day. But he is strong enough to throw himself out of the next and waddle a little around the box if he wants to.

Day 3, we gave it a molten mixture (like human baby food) of papaya + oatsmeal + some biscuit + some yolk (less than 1/8 of a hard boiled egg) and heat it up every time so he ate it warm to touch. He was still the sleepy bird but able to ressist us more when we try to pry his beak.
He was fed every 3hours. We did overfed him once in the morning and he regurgitated some out. We learn to feed it smaller portions (from 8-9 "tiny balls" around the size of 1.5 green beans) to just 6.
He gets some sunbath (not directly) in the noon and he seems to enjoy it, preening and stretching. When he opened his beak slightly and we quickly got him back into the box in fear of overheating him. I tried to feed him (the mixture) at this point to try hydrate him but he regurgitated again after 3 "tweezers". He seems to be struggling to regurgitate more but there is nothing and he continued to sleep and even pooped.

We didn't changed the tissue paper at that point but covered it up with another tissue as we're going out for a quick dinner and we plan to feed it once more before we call the night.
Somehow, we got delayed and reached home only 4 hours later. When we got back, he had pooped all over the nest and he is resting right on top of his poos. (It honestly seems so much for the amount we fed it prior)
He was very very weak at this point, barely able to hold his head up. We decided to warm it up by wrapping it in warm towel and then feeding it a small portion of the warm mixture.
That was probably the worst decision. After that, it started to struggle and was opening his mouth wide but made no sound.
He "jerked" up and fall back down on its back and was opening it's mouth to gasp for air...
then it started curling up and then more jerking over to its back and out of the next again.
This happened for 10-15 minutes and then it was motionless. Honestly ... It's so hard to watch ,,, I felt so bad and hopeless ... I know it's struggling at the last few moments but I honestly cannot do anything ...

I picked it up and try to warm it up ... but it's stiff and cold. Like almost immediately after it stopped moving.

We're all sad and full of question mark ... did we do anything wrong?
Maybe we should have sent it to a vet ... maybe he cannot eat yolk or oatsmeal or the biscuit?
Did we put the tweezer too deep in that it was injured? Did the sunbathe gave it heatstroke?
I wish we have some answers or it'll just continue to haunt us ...

My brother did wanted to bring Baby (I didn't even gave him a name, just called him Baby all the time) to a vet to find out the cause of its death in attempt to find closure and stop all these "hauntings".
We kept it's body in a bag and placed it in a cool foam box. But when we woke up, the body was gone. My father have buried him, I guess he does fear it might really be due to our negligence or mistake.
But it has been weeks and it still haunts us.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No one can say what happened. Sometimes young birds fail to thrive. A necropsy might have given you a better idea but it's too late for that now.
Sorry for your loss.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’m sorry to hear. Mynahs are such neat birds.

With it being a wild baby, it could honestly be anything. There are so many possibilities of problems before you even got him - parents could have kicked him out of the nest, he could have been pulled from the nest by a predator and dropped, he could have had internal injuries from falling… I don’t think there was much you could have done.

At least he passed in a safe place though, and you can feel better knowing you were able to provide that :sadhug2:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow: Sometimes there are no answers... I'm not sure I can give you much comfort other than to tell you, you clearly loved Baby, and we all have some form of regrets. Try to take what you've learn and to do better if there should a next time.... Taking care of a fledgling is no easy task. Lots of things can go wrong even for who how to properly take of one.

Perhaps take this opportunity to learn more about your local wildlife and what resources are available to if find yourself in similar situation. Ideally whenever we find local wildlife in distress it's best to find a local wildlife rehabilitation center. Lots of people will lend a helping hand if you know where to look. Too often though we don't know where help is when we need it.

This summer a little bird crashed in one of my windows. I didn't know what to do at the time other to keep it safe until it fly away on its own. It took a long for it do that and the reality is it probably didn't make it. But I now know of local group who volunteered to take birds to a local rehab if your unable to. I feel awful I didn't know this information when I had the small bird. But I'm now armed with information for the next time. That's all we can do, is take what learned and apply it moving forward :heart:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am sorry for your loss. There are no definite answers. I use keep nesting box on my deck at my old apartment. The house sparrows loved it for raising their young. I was sitting outside on nice cool morning watching the day start. Mama house sparrow was in the nest box raising all sorts of ruckus and caine. I knew the eggs had hatched a couple days earlier. I sat there she maneuvered one tiny baby up to hole and kicked him out , about 4' drop to the floor boards. She did it 2 more times dropping tiny, featherless ,eyes still closed babies out. One of them died instantly, I quickly worked a tiny brooder box together to keep other two safe and feed them. Neither survived passed a day.
Mother Nature can be cruel, heartless and down right mean. Mama sparrow knew there was something wrong with all 3 of those babies and rather then risk the chance of whatever it was, spreading to the other 4 nestlings, she threw them out. Sad yes but she raised the other four up to flighted birds.
Other baby birds will kick out nest mate and some will commit murder of their brothers or sisters to get their share of the food. It's not easy on us humans but it happens a fair amount.
Again I am sorry for your loss.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow: