• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice

12Katie03

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Hi I need some advice... I just got 2 boy budgies and they are about six months old. One of them has lovely long wings and looks normal but the other has really short wings and they are both different lengths and shapes. Also he can’t fly very well and would rather climb around and tends to preen a lot more than the other bird. I was wondering if his wings have been clipped wrong (we haven’t clipped them) or whether it’s just because he is young. He is also taking longer to tame than the other. Should I call the vet?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like from the description that the one with short, uneven wings has been clipped.

12Katie03

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
He’s very nervous of me. Will that go away the more I train him? And also will the wing grow back?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Clipped feathers will molt out and new feathers will replace them. Sometimes it takes a while. My Quaker was 3 months old when he was clipped and he couldn't fly until he was about a year old.

Taming takes time, and with him being clipped he probably just feels pretty vulnerable :)

12Katie03

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Fabulous thank you!! You’ve really put my mind at ease. Is there anything that I can do that can get him to feel more at ease? I’m doing the hand in nice and slow waiting for them to come to me. They’ve calmed down a lot since we first got them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Try using millet on the outside of the cage.

Do you have pictures of their wings for comparison?

12Katie03

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Thank you that’s a helpful tip. He won’t stand with his back to me if I try to move around the cage to get a picture he turns so that he’s always facing me.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi I need some advice... I just got 2 boy budgies and they are about six months old. One of them has lovely long wings and looks normal but the other has really short wings and they are both different lengths and shapes. Also he can’t fly very well and would rather climb around and tends to preen a lot more than the other bird. I was wondering if his wings have been clipped wrong (we haven’t clipped them) or whether it’s just because he is young. He is also taking longer to tame than the other. Should I call the vet?

Katie, did you get them from a pet store? The uneven and different shaped wings on your one boy sounds like a botched wing clip! What are their names? There is a description of my budgies first months with me here on one of the forums, I believe it is the Budgie forum. Just search for Fergus and Fiona diary.

12Katie03

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
I got them from a breeder in the local area so assumed they’d be coming from a good home and from people who knew what they were doing. I have pure yellow one called Tweetie and the other is green and yellow and he is called Gary (boyfriends choice not mine)

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
If you're concerned it is always worthwhile getting him checked over. I think I have vague memories of if one wing was clipped it best to clip other one to similar length so doesn't feel uneven. Then let them grow back in.