• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh!! I’m crying tears of joy!!

Phoenix was only in the vet for about 10 minutes, usually it takes them at least an hour so I was very surprised. The vet said Phoenix looks so good, and the vet was shocked by how much progress Phoenix made. He said the crop is still a little bit bigger than normal but it’s went down over half in size since last week. He said we don’t need another appointment, and I can quit the antibiotics. I’m so proud of my little Phoenix! :heart: :yah:
What great news!:yahoo:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wonderful update!! :loveshower:

Push your first feeding back an hour so you do first feed at 7 instead.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Most budgies like "leafy" things. Try some fresh herbs like dill, basil, cilantro, parsley (not too often), rosemary, lettuce especially romaine, carrot tops, leaves from celery, nothing from the onion family including chives as they are toxic to budgies. If your grocery store carries wheat grass in the produce section budgies go crazy for it. Clip some off, bundle it together with paper string (make sure its not colored or has chemical treatment because he will chew it!) and hang it in the cage. You can use clip like this to hang it in the cage.
https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-T...e+clips&qid=1614702916&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-23

I'm not sure how old he should be before you offer him a bath but sometimes you can hang wet herbs in his cage and he'll rub up against them to bathe.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Most budgies like "leafy" things. Try some fresh herbs like dill, basil, cilantro, parsley (not too often), rosemary, lettuce especially romaine, carrot tops, leaves from celery, nothing from the onion family including chives as they are toxic to budgies. If your grocery store carries wheat grass in the produce section budgies go crazy for it. Clip some off, bundle it together with paper string (make sure its not colored or has chemical treatment because he will chew it!) and hang it in the cage. You can use clip like this to hang it in the cage.
Amazon.com : 6 Pack of Prevue Pet Treat Clips (3 Packages with 2 Clips Each) : Pet Supplies

I'm not sure how old he should be before you offer him a bath but sometimes you can hang wet herbs in his cage and he'll rub up against them to bathe.
Thank you!!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
:bliss: :cantwait::cheer:No more vet visits!!! Go Phoenix! I love this forum and the way we make new feathered friends and their care takers! I don't like to refer to ourselves as owners since birds are so unique. LOL

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Here’s a video of Phoenix flying to me! I used to just hold out a finger but I realized he’s more comfortable with me holding out both hands for a bigger landing pad.
(he’s on a little make shift perch I made him with an old phone stand and some self adhesive bandage for grip...also ignore my messy desk :roflmao: )
Okay, informal poll...who else watched this video several times in a row, because it is just *that* cute and impressive:yes4::heart2:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix has so much dandruff!! Every time he preens on me my clothes are covered in little skin flakes. Should I offer him a bath? Or is this normal :roflmao:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is not dandruf, rather feather dust. Its why i had to give up having birds. Please consider investing in a good air filtration system. budgies really do love broccoli. Keep it handy and present it to him in different ways like a clip holding it in the cage. Too bad we cant have a Phoenix party on AA. :flowgdnc::bridgette1:

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It is not dandruf, rather feather dust. Its why i had to give up having birds. Please consider investing in a good air filtration system. budgies really do love broccoli. Keep it handy and present it to him in different ways like a clip holding it in the cage. Too bad we cant have a Phoenix party on AA. :flowgdnc::bridgette1::car::bounce5:
Is feather dust harmful for them? I already have an air purifier in my room :D

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is not dandruf, rather feather dust. Its why i had to give up having birds. Please consider investing in a good air filtration system. budgies really do love broccoli. Keep it handy and present it to him in different ways like a clip holding it in the cage. Too bad we cant have a Phoenix party on AA. :flowgdnc::bridgette1:
@Lady Jane ,,,my dearest Diane, we could have virtual party on AA for Phoenix..