• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That hanging toy that she has is a favorite with my flock! The tiels love it and so does Kiwi, although he’s not a very heavy chewer lol (it takes him forever to go through a single toy :wacky:)

She’s so cute, and growing so fast!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She is loud for a wee one. Now she is entering the world of toys. Happy play times ahead.
I get told she’s super loud!! It sounds normal to me, but I’m hard of hearing. Every pet I’ve had is loud when talking to me, I feel like they can tell I’m hard of hearing, maybe Phoenix can too :roflmao: :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Phoenix is just so precious. Boy or girl doesn't matter. You are going to have a sweet best friend for life.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix is just so precious. Boy or girl doesn't matter. You are going to have a sweet best friend for life.
That’s exactly how I feel :heart: I can’t wait until I can have Phoenix out all the time. I even got a little desktop play set so he can hangout with me while I’m at the computer (which is a lot of the times because my entire college is online right now)

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
What a gorgeous kid! How old is Phoenix now? I'm curious how much he's caught up to his actual age -- it seemed like once the feathers started, they came in so quickly. I can see they're not all fully opened yet, but he's looking like a real budgie now!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could try leaving some veggies down on a small flat plate or on a lid. Let her explore them whiole out :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's incredible how fast they grow, even if Phoenix is? was? lagging a bit. It's why good nutrition is so important for babies and will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Phoenix is sounding very bright and active. Try offering some veggies but don't worry if he doesn't eat much. Much like with a human toddler, you're just encouraging him to explore new textures and flavours.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's why good nutrition is so important for babies and will affect them for the rest of their lives.
I couldn´t agree more.
It actually starts before they hatch. The parents need to be on a good diet so that the egg has enough nutrients to pass on to the chick. Some chicks are lacking in some things as soon as they hatch because they didn´t have enough in the egg.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
How old is Phoenix now?
Today Phoenix is 33 days old!

It's why good nutrition is so important for babies and will affect them for the rest of their lives
You’re right. Not only was I not feeding her enough each feeding (I was scared of making her throw up, but I always made sure the crop wasn’t empty) but I also decided I hate the formula I used. I used Kaytee exact formula. I wasn’t aware of all the negative feedback they received, and it’s the only ones they had in store. If I had to do it all over again, the formula would be the first thing I’d change.

Also, I believe Phoenix was stuck in the egg for too long. I’m not sure why that could happen, but I think the poop being caked onto the egg was a big factor. When she came out her intestines were black and there was no yolk on her belly. She was also smaller than her other siblings according to the owner (I never saw any of them when they hatched so I don’t know). I think it’s amazing that Phoenix has literally been such a fighter her entire life, even before hatching, she definitely wouldn’t have lived so long if she wasn’t.

I can’t wait to give her veggies today!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but I think the poop being caked onto the egg was a big factor.
Poop on eggs is never good. I don´t really know how that happens. I´ve only ever seen poop on abandoned eggs in my house and at our uncles (who breeds birds).

. I wasn’t aware of all the negative feedback they received
I don´t know much about this. It´s not a popular food here.
I have always used Nutribird and both my vets said it was a good food. I´ve never had any issues with digestion problems or slow crop, any thing like that. Plus it smells nice :)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
What a beautiful story, I love following along watching her growth! You did an amazing job with her/he @Britnicorn and of course strong little phoenix for never giving up!!