• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgie boys are picky eaters, but you have a chance to teach Phoenix to have a varied diet which is great! The boys like kale and carrots as well as strawberries. I'm so glad Phoenix is being adventurous with his eating!

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
My budgie boys are picky eaters, but you have a chance to teach Phoenix to have a varied diet which is great! The boys like kale and carrots as well as strawberries. I'm so glad Phoenix is being adventurous with his eating!
It helps that Phoenix has always been a little pig :roflmao: She never wants to stop eating!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Both my budgies like greens - wheat grass (before I started growing my own I got it in the organic produce section of my grocery store), basil, oregano, dill, cilantro, carrot tops - all fresh not dried. They love sprouts and I saw that you already gave her some to try.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Man Phoenix wants out of her brooder so badly today. I keep hearing her pecking on the walls and I’ve even caught her dangling from the top of the lid trying to bite her way out. I let her out and on my bed for about half an hour but it doesn’t seem like it was enough for her because she’s still doing it

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I imagine they tend to want to play more as they grow & not just sleep alot though sleep is still important.
You both will have to adjust to what is best & safest as he grows.

Be careful he does not jump with a full crop & land on the crop as it could push food into the airway.

I imagine that heat is not as important now as the brooder is practically the temp of your room.

He needs to learn to play by himself too so maybe a safe toy in the brooder to keep him occupied?

You can try putting some paper towels on the floor of your cage or that small cage & place some harrisons on floor to encourage him to forage & get some exercise where you don't have to corral him on the bed. You need a playpen that is safe & leaves you some time not to watch him every second.

Maybe that could work to add some different experiences to his day?

You decide whats best & safest as I am trying just to make suggestions but he seems like he is able to get around pretty well now but you dont want him falling.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I imagine they tend to want to play more as they grow & not just sleep alot though sleep is still important.
You both will have to adjust to what is best & safest as he grows.

Be careful he does not jump with a full crop & land on the crop as it could push food into the airway.

I imagine that heat is not as important now as the brooder is practically the temp of your room.

He needs to learn to play by himself too so maybe a safe toy in the brooder to keep him occupied?

You can try putting some paper towels on the floor of your cage or that small cage & place some harrisons on floor to encourage him to forage & get some exercise where you don't have to corral him on the bed. You need a playpen for me that is safe & leaves you some time not to watch him every second.

Maybe that could work to add some different experiences to his day?

You decide whats best & safest as I am trying just to make suggestions but he seems like he is able to get around pretty well now but you dont want him falling.
I could try that. When I got him out just now he immediately curled up into me and was preening my arm until he fell asleep. It was so cute

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Man Phoenix wants out of her brooder so badly today.
If she wants a little snuggle during the day, I don´t see a problem now that her feathers are open more. As long as the rooms nice and warm.
Did you end up playing on the bed? Try rolling a wicker ball around with her :)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If she wants a little snuggle during the day, I don´t see a problem now that her feathers are open more. As long as the rooms nice and warm.
Did you end up playing on the bed? Try rolling a wicker ball around with her :)
I haven’t played with her much today, besides the snuggling for about 20 minutes. She loves rolling around the little cat ball she has, I’ll give her a wicker ball next!!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Her watery poops are getting even worse as she takes more antifungal. I can actually hear them if the room is silent. She's still having normal poops, and not showing any signs of dehydration, but I'm worried it may get to that point soon :(

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She loved the cage time. She was so excited as soon as she got in there. She wouldn’t eat any pellets off the ground, and in fact I’d try to scratch the paper towel in front of a pellet to draw her attention to it and she’d just scratch the paper towel too :roflmao: She did eat a couple from my hands though. She also started climbing up the sides of the cage, you can see her trying in the second video. She’d take one step up then start squawking like she was scared so I’d help her down:lol: She did that a couple times then I decided she wanted to go back to her brooder (it had been about a half hour of being in there)

I have a couple questions though. Is her stretching her wings out like that normal? She usually does that a couple times after she gets out of the brooder. I was also wondering if I could put a perch or a ladder in there since she’s so interested in climbing? Or is it too soon?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So cute:cheer: Love the cute sounds!:loveshower:30 seconds is too short. Could watch more. :smileflower:
Its good to have new experience. Try putting the seed in a small pile to attract interest.

Least she can run around the little cage & not fall. Gives you a break from moving her on the bed for safety. Gives some independence to do what she wants. I think she is a he though... :pinklol:

You could probably get a small perch & have it on the bottom bar a inch above the floor. Could learn to perch or play with a ball. Just good for him to learn to do things by himself.

Last edited: