• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well that good that she isn't having any other symptoms. I didn't think the vet would be open on Sunday. My vet has office hours but I know he cares for his patience and understands how sensitive parrots are. I honestly think its the meds, to much for her little tummy. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow and get some rest! She is healthy and I missed the crop bra part, I'll have to read old posts. I work at night so its hard to keep up

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The regurgitation is normal. I mean, not normal exactly but - they do that to show they love us! Yes throw up on us. :wtf:

it sounds from what you described that’s what she did. Meds could also make her regurg though... you’re so diligent you’ll figure this out .

The poop deal is not normal, but who knows? Hopefully it was a one time thing.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
The regurgitation is normal. I mean, not normal exactly but - they do that to show they love us! Yes throw up on us. :wtf:

it sounds from what you described that’s what she did. Meds could also make her regurg though... you’re so diligent you’ll figure this out .

The poop deal is not normal, but who knows? Hopefully it was a one time thing.
I definitely think the meds were causing her issues. I don’t believe it’s normal for babies to regurgitate at all, and I was also poking around her brooder and found a couple more watery poops (as well as more normal poops). This morning, after not giving her her night dose, there was no watery poops

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
poking around her brooder and found a couple more watery poops (as well as more normal poops)
Baby parrots poops are all the same (all blended together) until they start eating human foods and drinking water. Medicine can interfere with that as you have seen.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Baby parrots poops are all the same (all blended together) until they start eating human foods and drinking water. Medicine can interfere with that as you have seen.
Thanks!!

Just heard back from the vet, he said the watery droppings are normal when given the antifungal and I just have to make sure she’s not getting dehydrated

Edit: he also said he’s not worried about her regurgitating once but if it happens again I should let him know

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Should I start offering water to avoid dehydration?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You should consult with your vet, but,,,A good hydration is unflavored Pedialyte, if you can get it, also, filtered water ..maybe about a 3rd of a cup with A PINCH of sugar and A PINCH of salt, it's for ER hydration.. it's kinda like an "unflavored " Gatorade..
@Hankmacaw
@Zara
@saroj12
@JLcribber
@rocky'smom

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
You should consult with your vet, but,,,A good hydration is unflavored Pedialyte, if you can get it, also, filtered water ..maybe about a 3rd of a cup with A PINCH of sugar and A PINCH of salt, it's for ER hydration.. it's kinda like an "unflavored " Gatorade..
@Hankmacaw
@Zara
@saroj12
@JLcribber
@rocky'smom
I’ll ask my vet about this. I may also take her in tomorrow just to make sure it’s all going smoothly, I need some reassurance :shy: I think she’s starting to have watery poops more frequently

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
361D382D-6546-4BF8-B472-74D6E24D08A2.jpeg
Is this what you were talking about @Birdbabe ? I think it might be good to have on hand anyway just in case Phoenix starts looking dehydrated and the vet isn’t open or something

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope everything is OK.

Glad the vet got back to you.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So Phoenix has been trying to jump out of my hands sometimes now. She managed to do it once, but I caught her. She only likes perching on my fingers now (won’t just stand on my palm) but then she starts jumping. I definitely think she’s trying to fly, but I don’t know if she’s ready?? I’m so scared lol. Every time she jumps she’s flapping her wings like she’s flying, but it looks more like falling with style to me

Is it okay to start letting her jump if her crop isn’t full? I could start letting her jump onto my bed so at least it’s not a super hard landing. Her tail still has a lot of growing to do, which makes me think she’s not ready, but since she clearly wants to so badly maybe she is?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would not hold her too high, and would not let her jump. She´s not going to be able to fly because she eats so much formula. Formula is heavy, it´s why she weighs so much. Then on top of that her feathers aren´t fully grown. You can put her down on the bed and let her have a little run about.

Be sure to introduce some veggies after handfeeding. A nice variety, get her off on the right foot :)

Maybe ask around the budgie folks and see what veggies their budgies enjoy eating.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I would not hold her too high, and would not let her jump. She´s not going to be able to fly because she eats so much formula. Formula is heavy, it´s why she weighs so much. Then on top of that her feathers aren´t fully grown. You can put her down on the bed and let her have a little run about.

Be sure to introduce some veggies after handfeeding. A nice variety, get her off on the right foot :)

Maybe ask around the budgie folks and see what veggies their budgies enjoy eating.
Thanks! I will. I was going to give her some carrots today!

I also wanted to ask if not gaining weight was normal at this age? She hasn’t been losing it but she’s been right around the 46-50g mark for a few days

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Budgies dow´t weigh too much. Phoenix currently weighs more than an adult budgie because she hasn´t weaned. I usppose it has to stop somewhere before coming back down :)

I saw Kassiani post her birds are in there mid to late thirties (gs).

You can see she is eating, so that is a good sign. Rermember when you offer the carrots, to have a little water nearby. I like to use jam jar lids at first, they´re so shallow. After eating adult foods, you can splish the water with your finger, see if it peaks her interest. Then gently touch the side of her beak once so a little goes in. Sometimes it takes a few times for birds to learn to drink water, other times they are straight in there drinking.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Budgies dow´t weigh too much. Phoenix currently weighs more than an adult budgie because she hasn´t weaned. I usppose it has to stop somewhere before coming back down :)

I saw Kassiani post her birds are in there mid to late thirties (gs).

You can see she is eating, so that is a good sign. Rermember when you offer the carrots, to have a little water nearby. I like to use jam jar lids at first, they´re so shallow. After eating adult foods, you can splish the water with your finger, see if it peaks her interest. Then gently touch the side of her beak once so a little goes in. Sometimes it takes a few times for birds to learn to drink water, other times they are straight in there drinking.
Thanks so much!!

So should I mash the carrots into like a baby food consistency or more/less?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try it any way you like. I start with lightly steamed carrots for the young birds. Sometimes I mash, some times I dice, other times I give a large slice.
The variety is good, it will get Phoenix used to different presentations.
If you mash, it doesn´t have to be completely puréed, mashed with a fork is ok.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Try it any way you like. I start with lightly steamed carrots for the young birds. Sometimes I mash, some times I dice, other times I give a large slice.
The variety is good, it will get Phoenix used to different presentations.
If you mash, it doesn´t have to be completely puréed, mashed with a fork is ok.
Thank you!