• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Just by way of comparison, my two adult male blue budgies weigh around 35 or 36 g each.
Don’t they gain a lot of weight then lose it once they start getting ready to fly? I’m not sure when Phoenix would start losing weight because he’s stunted, but he is nearly fledged it seems

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but he’d only roll it around in his beak for a few seconds before throwing it
That´s actually good that s/he picked it up and had it in their beak :)

but it doesn’t look like he liked it...
Try not to think like that. Birds are weird. Sometimes you can offer the same food over and over again, and one day out of the blue they will eat it.
I would tuck that under the umbrella of ¨birds are wasteful¨, just keep offering foods daily :geek:

You may have better luck with mashed veggies or soaked pellets first because they are more similar to formula. Sprouts are a foreign thing right now.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
That´s actually good that s/he picked it up and had it in their beak :)

Try not to think like that. Birds are weird. Sometimes you can offer the same food over and over again, and one day out of the blue they will eat it.
I would tuck that under the umbrella of ¨birds are wasteful¨, just keep offering foods daily :geek:

You may have better luck with mashed veggies or soaked pellets first because they are more similar to formula. Sprouts are a foreign thing right now.
I’m glad that her reaction was normal!! Thanks!! I’ll definitely try some veggies next since I can’t do the pellets until Monday :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Curiousity is good :) Some birds take a few times before they will pick up a new food.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
View attachment 373970
I also got this picture which shows off a lot of his feathers... it looks like he’s going to have a black stripe down the middle of his tail. So cute
Wow, growth is amazing. The last chick in his clutch has a gray tail. Phoenix still looks like he has lighter gray then the last chick. Think mothers tail was never seen.

Look like some intense yellow on his tail. Body is more soft yellow. Most of the other chicks were more intense orange yellow. Just amazing how they all are a bit different from same parents.

I just love watching him (right now I'm leaning toward boy until his cere changes) LOL.

What a lovely fluffball of :smileflower:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
ABE74485-702F-4819-A50D-8EA561847550.jpeg
This might be an extremely stupid question but I’ve never really had a bird before(the last one I’ve had was in 1st grade and I hardly remember it) but can birds “pee” without pooping? I know they don’t exactly urinate... but this is weird.

Phoenix will have a totally normal poop, then a few minutes later do this. Its mostly clear liquid, with little flakes of poo and one of the two Times I’ve seen her do this it had the white urate(?) in it. I’m worried it might be diarrhea but it confuses me since she’s still having normal poops? It’s the first time I’ve started seeing this though, but she started taking her antifungal today so I’m worried

(She did this on my legs and this was all I was able to wipe up)
@Zara @camelotshadow @Mockinbirdiva

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’ve messaged the vet but I think it’s too late to get a response. I’m too scared to give the second dose of antifungal now, so I think I’m just going to hold off on both the antifungal and the antibiotics until I hear back from the vet

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So I just fed her and I think she regurgitated a tiny bit?? I held her for awhile after she ate trying to see if she’d poop again so I could check it, she was nibbling around on my fingers like she normally does and suddenly she started bobbing her head a few times and then started smacking her lips like she was chewing. I didn’t see anything come out but it definitely looked like regurgitation. I don’t think I fed her too much

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I am in no position to give advice on such a tiny bird. To me the poo does not look right. However, she she has been on meds right? I know they can mess with any animals systems including us humans. I think holding off on the meds might be a good idea right now. Will the vet contact you tomorrow? I don't know how long she has been on meds either. Just make sure she is eating and drinking water and see how she does, that's what I would do. By the way you are doing a fantastic job and I can't believe how fast she has grown.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I am in no position to give advice on such a tiny bird. To me the poo does not look right. However, she she has been on meds right? I know they can mess with any animals systems including us humans. I think holding off on the meds might be a good idea right now. Will the vet contact you tomorrow? I don't know how long she has been on meds either. Just make sure she is eating and drinking water and see how she does, that's what I would do.
She’s only had the one dose I gave her this morning. The vet should reply to my message tomorrow hopefully, but the vets themselves are closed on sundays
Edit: she’s also not experiencing any other symptoms besides the pooping issue and the possible regurgitation.