• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She’s so demanding tonight,
Good. Once they are able to get around and walking, baby birds are determined and relentless. When they are hungry, they come at you like a zombie :zombi:

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ahhh!! She’s starting to open her eyes. She’s looking around like a grumpy old lady at everything :roflmao: I’ll have to try to get a picture next feeding. It’s so cute!
Hurray!!!!!!! I’m excited for her and you!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
8798D8E5-1216-43D6-88FA-ADFD0F95473E.jpeg
4A590C27-7365-4192-BED3-545844811027.jpeg
9042E17F-0DA5-4B78-B5DB-9074034589D9.jpeg
E62AE134-7558-43AB-BA63-9737A47B2F02.jpeg
I’m too scared to toss the egg out unless I know 100% sure it’s dead. I can’t tell if it’s changing colors because it’s rotting or if it’s because it’s about to hatch, but the air sac is looking awful big.
Also Phoenix has decided to shut her eyes every time I turn the lights on :arghh: hopefully she’ll be less sensitive for a picture tomorrow. I’m so excited!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ahhh!! She’s starting to open her eyes. She’s looking around like a grumpy old lady at everything :roflmao: I’ll have to try to get a picture next feeding. It’s so cute!
Woo Woo!!!! I can't wait to see her when she opens her eyes. When you have a scheduled feeding that is...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
View attachment 371595
View attachment 371596
View attachment 371597
View attachment 371598
I’m too scared to toss the egg out unless I know 100% sure it’s dead. I can’t tell if it’s changing colors because it’s rotting or if it’s because it’s about to hatch, but the air sac is looking awful big.
Also Phoenix has decided to shut her eyes every time I turn the lights on :arghh: hopefully she’ll be less sensitive for a picture tomorrow. I’m so excited!
I think that egg is and has been done for some time especially how old it is. If there was a chick in it there wouldn't be any light shining through.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Time wise i think the egg has to be dead... the first chick hatched on the 7th, so even if the mom somehow laid it on the day the egg was hatched, it has been longer than 20 days, but even the mom laying the egg on the first day of hatching is super unlikely to me

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I think that egg is and has been done for some time especially how old it is. If there was a chick in it there wouldn't be any light shining through.
Okay :( thank you. Poor little chickie. I feel so bad for every bird in that situation at the breeder’s house :/

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
In the meantime here’s a video of her trying to stand up ( I took this on Tuesday)
What a big girl standing up!!!! She's so cute chirping. Won't be long before she's doing the budgie two -step. Two steps here, two steps there... two stepping everywhere!!!!!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
What a big girl standing up!!!! She's so cute chirping. Won't be long before she's doing the budgie two -step. Two steps here, two steps there... two stepping everywhere!!!!!
Goodness I need to start recording her when I weigh her. She walks all over the scale trying to climb out! I’ll be sure I record her tomorrow. I’m really bad about not keeping my phone with me though :roflmao:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Okay :( thank you. Poor little chickie. I feel so bad for every bird in that situation at the breeder’s house :/
I agree especially after seeing the inside of that nest box you posted of one of the parents. Pretty disgusting. There is no excuse for that.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Goodness I need to start recording her when I weigh her. She walks all over the scale trying to climb out! I’ll be sure I record her tomorrow. I’m really bad about not keeping my phone with me though :roflmao:
Just be sure to keep an eye on her so she doesn't climb out and fall. We don't need a photo that bad.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep in mind she is still small. You really want to keep interactions to a minimum. Don´t worry, she will know who you are when she is older and able to spend more time with you. For now, let her use all of her energy growing ;)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Keep in mind she is still small. You really want to keep interactions to a minimum. Don´t worry, she will know who you are when she is older and able to spend more time with you. For now, let her use all of her energy growing ;)
For sure. The only time I interact with her at all is feeding time. It breaks my heart though, I just want to snuggle with her:xflove:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its too old to hatch now so its no good. The air space is bigger & it might be getting darker inside but it could be bacteria & you don't want it to burst as some bacteria can create gas.
Would toss it at this point as its just not safe for Phoenix to be around it esp with the poop & they are mobile now.

I was thinking about the wet wash cloth. Maybe you can put it in a shallow sided plastic container so that the sides are high enough so she can;t get in it. This way you can rest it on top of the shavings & don't have to make a partition.