• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I hope you've been able to get some sleep tonight!

When he seemed hot, was he breathing with his mouth open, too? I know nothing about raising chicks, but I do know that hot adult birds breathe with their mouths open to cool down--no idea if chicks do the same thing.

So, yeah, take those 2 cents with a grain of salt and all that! Lol!
Nah, she was only spreading all her limbs out and staying away from her cloth buddies. She’s better now though, I guess she likes it at 95° exact :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
95 is a good temp for now

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad you are watching carefully. Phoenix is a special case.
They say 95 to 97 degrees while not feathered so you are still at a good temp.

Phoenix still has no feathers so you want to keep him warm. Keep the 95 now. They are really snuggling cozy with the knot babies now which should help keep them warm. so cute

Can;t wait for Phoenix to see the world & hope the feathers start to come in another week.

:smileflower:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
View attachment 371474
It’s hard to get on camera, but her eyelids are so defined now. I really hope she opens her eyes tomorrow :D
Thanks for the update! It is hard to see the definition in your photo. Hopefully she will start to have a growth spurt from here on out. When you feed her is she able to sit upright for the feedings?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thanks for the update! It is hard to see the definition in your photo. Hopefully she will start to have a growth spurt from here on out. When you feed her is she able to sit upright for the feedings?
Yes! She’s starting to stand up by herself completely, and she stands for feedings. She’s gained over a gram the past 2 days (she now weighs 3.60g), she’s getting stronger!
I used to hold her head for feedings but now she gets mad if I do it because she wants to do it herself :D I just hold her head to get her into position of the syringe and then she takes it from there. Shes so adorable

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Has some developmental time frames but Phoenix not being parent fed is smaller & behind schedule in some areas so might take longer for some of these things like feathers etc.

Seems the eyes can open during week 2 anywhere from 6 to 10 days so that would be good if they did open soon as it would be on time but I imagine it could take longer for Phoenix.

Look at the egg candling pic in the article. The egg does look darker than yours & today would be day least 22 or 23 so it probably did die sometime after 10 days of development.

Head up in 7 days is on schedule!

Yeah for Phoenix! Glad they are gaining weight.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

Has some developmental time frames but Phoenix not being parent fed is smaller & behind schedule in some areas so might take longer for some of these things like feathers etc.

Seems the eyes can open during week 2 anywhere from 6 to 10 days so that would be good if they did open soon as it would be on time but I imagine it could take longer for Phoenix.

Look at the egg candling pic in the article. The egg does look darker than yours & today would be day least 22 or 23 so it probably did die sometime after 10 days of development.

Head up in 7 days is on schedule!

Yeah for Phoenix! Glad they are gaining weight.
Yeah I know she’s underweight and a bit stunted :( but that’s never stopped her, she started standing up the third day I had her, now she’s consistently standing up. She’s such a fighter, which is really good for her survival.

yeah... I think the egg is dead. It’s been a week and the colors haven’t changed at all... I think I will toss it out

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I imagine as she feathers she’ll be hot. You’re doing great- she’s starting to look like a bird! :D
Stick with what you know is the right feeding for her. When she’s hungry early or more often, that’s a little growth spurt.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I imagine as she feathers she’ll be hot. You’re doing great- she’s starting to look like a bird! :D
Stick with what you know is the right feeding for her. When she’s hungry early or more often, that’s a little growth spurt.
I can totally tell she’s going through a growth spurt. She’s so demanding tonight, and she looks bigger tonight than she did this morning. I hope we get her back on track fast! :D

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix is starting to walk/crawl all around the brooder, I’m a little worried about her hurting herself because I have the wet washcloth on a plate in there, as well as the thermometer... is there something I can do to baby proof it? Or should I not even be worried :shy:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Phoenix is starting to walk/crawl all around the brooder, I’m a little worried about her hurting herself because I have the wet washcloth on a plate in there, as well as the thermometer... is there something I can do to baby proof it? Or should I not even be worried :shy:
See if there's something you can use for a divider to keep her in her nesting area.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
See if there's something you can use for a divider to keep her in her nesting area.
Try this,
Grab a cereal box (or other cardboard).
Cut the back down the two lines (corners of back and side).
Fold in half.
Then fold the bottom so it makes a base.
Bury the base under the bedding in the brooder.
IMG_20210129_131402.jpg
IMG_20210129_131411.jpg
IMG_20210129_131446.jpg
IMG_20210129_131437.jpg