• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Good... keeping her in a consistent temperature around the clock is what she needs. Minimize any time you have her out of the container... in a minute she can get chilled even in your hand because her body that isn't touching you is exposed to the air temperature. I don't know how fast the plastic plate can cool off after you dry it and put it on the scale but if you think it isn't warm enough for the time it takes to weigh her you can take a look at the photos on page 8 Zara posted on how she weighs her chicks.
Yeah I do what Zara does... sorry I’m bad at explaining :roflmao: The only thing I do differently is heating it up with water so it’s not too big of a shock. But she’s always lively anyway, I don’t think temperature is the issue here.
I just called the vet and asked why it was happening, the avian vet is out of office still, but they said they’ll call him and ask him for me when they can.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Try weighing in a small ceramic food ramekin like used for custard lined with a paper towel. They have thick walls & when heated will keep heat much longer than a plastic plate. You can tare out the weight of the vessel.

You could even try using it when you take her out to feed her. Least she is safe & you don't have to hold her. Soon she may roll off a plate. Your hands while warm are not 90 plus degrees.

1611793469733.png

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Try weighing in a ceramic food ramekin like used for custard lined with a paper towel. They have thick walls & when heated will keep heat much longer than a plastic plate. You can tare out the weight of the vessel.
Okay! I think I have something like that, thanks!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Dr says it probably empties quicker in the morning because she goes all night without eating, but by the time noon rolls around she’s still got food in her system so it takes longer to get the crop empty. He said to still feed her every two hours no matter what to make sure the crop stays as full as possible, and also wants me to take a picture of her poo to see if it looks normal

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
No, but I’ve had birds before. It’s been years though
Lol, I was almost hoping you hadn’t kept birds before just so we could have the pleasure of following along while you discovered the joy of cage decoration...I didn’t have birds until I was in my 40’s and was delighted when I realized that bird cages are like “dollhouses for grownups”.
So much fun playing around with perch material and position, adding toys and ladders or bridges. I had no clue in advance, but I LOVE it!:loveshower:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Lol, I was almost hoping you hadn’t kept birds before just so we could have the pleasure of following along while you discovered the joy of cage decoration...I didn’t have birds until I was in my 40’s and was delighted when I realized that bird cages are like “dollhouses for grownups”.
So much fun playing around with perch material and position, adding toys and ladders or bridges. I had no clue in advance, but I LOVE it!:loveshower:
Well I haven’t had a bird since I was in elementary school so it’ll basically be my first time :roflmao:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
@Britnicorn , ,hows our baby doing tonight? Yes, we all have adopted her,,,,although you are her mom,,, :heart:
:rofl: I appreciate all the support for her! She’s good tonight. She’s crying some but I think it’s from my younger siblings stomping around upstairs and waking her up :/

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I love decorating them too! My finch cages are like little (fake) gardens.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hmm she’s being a little strange tonight. She’s holding out her wings and trying to stay away from her cloth buddies like she’s hot? Her brooder is only 96° though. I put some tissues underneath one side of her brooder, despite the heat pad not really heating up that side anyway so hopefully that helps. She was also burying herself in the bedding but I think that was an accident from her just trying to get to a colder spot, she was laying against the plastic sides of the brooder too. I hope she’s okay.

Also, man is she finding her voice. She’s starting to chirp so loud it makes my ears ring. It’s adorable but sheesh I’m going to lose my hearing from her :roflmao:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hmm she’s being a little strange tonight. She’s holding out her wings and trying to stay away from her cloth buddies like she’s hot? Her brooder is only 96° though. I put some tissues underneath one side of her brooder, despite the heat pad not really heating up that side anyway so hopefully that helps. She was also burying herself in the bedding but I think that was an accident from her just trying to get to a colder spot, she was laying against the plastic sides of the brooder too. I hope she’s okay.

Also, man is she finding her voice. She’s starting to chirp so loud it makes my ears ring. It’s adorable but sheesh I’m going to lose my hearing from her :roflmao:
She could be warmer than she likes at the moment. How thick are the shavings between her and the bottom of her container? Are there about 3 inches of thickness of the shavings to keep her from the bottom where the heating pad is?

Boy... just wait till she gets older and can REALLY scold you.. it'll be fun!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you certain your temps are reading correct? Like have you tried to take the temp with a few devices to see if they are all reading similar? I am wondering if the thermometer is reading correct, I know some dont work properly when dropped or when positioned incorrectly. Just guessing so please dont panic but it is worth double checking the temp reading with more than one thermometer.

It does sound like she might be a bit warm from yojur description.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She could be warmer than she likes at the moment. How thick are the shavings between her and the bottom of her container? Are there about 3 inches of thickness of the shavings to keep her from the bottom where the heating pad is?

Boy... just wait till she gets older and can REALLY scold you.. it'll be fun!
It’s probably more like 4ish inches deep, maybe a little more. She’s not crying anymore so I think she figured herself out.

I can’t wait :roflmao:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Are you certain your temps are reading correct? Like have you tried to take the temp with a few devices to see if they are all reading similar? I am wondering if the thermometer is reading correct, I know some dont work properly when dropped or when positioned incorrectly. Just guessing so please dont panic but it is worth double checking the temp reading with more than one thermometer.

It does sound like she might be a bit warm from yojur description.
Yes I thought the same thing, I used three thermometers and they all said about 96°... I’m honestly wondering maybe she feels warmer because she’s gaining weight now? Like yesterday she was pretty scrawny and now she’s getting pudgy

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes I thought the same thing, I used three thermometers and they all said about 96°... I’m honestly wondering maybe she feels warmer because she’s gaining weight now? Like yesterday she was pretty scrawny and now she’s getting pudgy
I love pudgy babies. My green cheeks looked like little fat turkeys when I pulled for hand feeding.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She was just crying so I thought I’d peak to see if she was okay, and she’s laying right where I put the tissues under the brooder looking hot again... I turned the brooder down a degree, I’m not sure why she’s hot suddenly because the temperature hasn’t changed at all. The only explanation in my eyes is that she’s gaining weight

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you've been able to get some sleep tonight!

When he seemed hot, was he breathing with his mouth open, too? I know nothing about raising chicks, but I do know that hot adult birds breathe with their mouths open to cool down--no idea if chicks do the same thing.

So, yeah, take those 2 cents with a grain of salt and all that! Lol!