• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I checked in two hours after her last feeding, and her crop was still pretty full. I fed her 0.3mL because she was going crazy for food, even chewing on the cloth buddies trying to get something out of them. I think from now on, though, I’ll wait 2 and a half hours between feedings

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
View attachment 371260
I checked her crop to see if I could feed her and it looks like the air got out! Hopefully it stays out :D
Crop does look better.
:awww:
Is that the side with the bruise? I don't see it anymore.

Tomorrow she is 1 week old. Phoenix (wanted to name Rio that) is looking good

What color are the parents. Be nice when you finally get to see some color feathers coming out.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Crop does look better.
:awww:
Is that the side with the bruise? I don't see it anymore.

Tomorrow she is 1 week old. Phoenix (wanted to name Rio that) is looking good

What color are the parents. Be nice when you finally get to see some color feathers coming out.
Nah the bruise is on the other side, but it is fading away :D
I’m so excited, I wish I could get her a toy or something for her one week birthday but she wouldn’t use it :roflmao:
C7280ED6-9C89-4301-8FF1-6955C0E417E9.jpeg
this is a screenshot from one of the videos the breeder posted, but both parents look like that. Very pretty :D
(You can see how dirty the nesting box is because she won’t pick up the parents poop :( )

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Nah the bruise is on the other side, but it is fading away :D
I’m so excited, I wish I could get her a toy or something for her one week birthday but she wouldn’t use it :roflmao:
View attachment 371271
this is a screenshot from one of the videos the breeder posted, but both parents look like that. Very pretty :D
(You can see how dirty the nesting box is because she won’t pick up the parents poop :( )
Maybe make her more bird knot buddies. The you can wash the others if she gets food on them.

I guess they are trying to use dried poop as bedding. :omg:
Pretty lemon lime parent.

Do I see Phoenix way in back on the right? The reddish thing???
How old are those chicks then? Maybe 2 weeks? Be nice when yours starts to feather.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I guess they are trying to use dried poop as bedding. :omg:
Pretty lemon lime parent.

Do I see Phoenix way in back on the right? The reddish thing???
How old are those chicks then? Maybe 2 weeks? Be nice when yours starts to feather.
No, Phoenix wasn’t born yet at that time. The chicks in the picture were about a week and a half old at the time, and the oldest chicks were two weeks old when Phoenix was born... she was really late, no one thought she would hatch but she did. I can’t wait until she starts to feather so I can cuddle and snuggle her. I feel so bad that she’s alone in there right now

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I feel so bad for her. The past couple hours she’s been crying almost nonstop because my dad is remodeling the bedroom right above us... it’s so loud and scary for her :( I keep trying to comfort her, which works sometimes but other times she mistakes it for food time and starts biting the air which causes her air bubbles in her crop so I just have to leave her alone :/
I have some soft music playing next to her as well as my space heater running so it drowns out most of the noise but there’s some really loud banging that makes her cry

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I feel so bad for her. The past couple hours she’s been crying almost nonstop because my dad is remodeling the bedroom right above us... it’s so loud and scary for her :( I keep trying to comfort her, which works sometimes but other times she mistakes it for food time and starts biting the air which causes her air bubbles in her crop so I just have to leave her alone :/
:bighug:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The air in the crop could possibly be the beginning of yeast setting up. I can’t remember if your vet already gave you something for that. If not, please add a tiny bit of applesauce or Bragg’s apple cider vinegar to the formula. Just a little. It will help the crop empty as well as fight off yeast if it’s happening.

I don’t think switching to a spoon will help at this point. She’s young and you’re inexperienced. Do you point the syringe toward (her) right when feeding?

If she’s frightened I would cuddle her. I even made a little “purse” to wear one of my babies in. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
also - when they had you thicken the formula, that was a concern to me. I get the issue, but it can cause other problems (like crop impact ion). I’m hoping the applesauce or ACV helps, but I would be tempted to give one feeding that’s a little more runny.

And as I mentioned before - you don’t want to stretch the crop so it’s better to feed “her” amount than try to go by some chart.... it’s like the children’s growth chart at the pediatrician, it was wrong in 1958 and still wrong for most kids but everybody goes by it. :D

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
also - when they had you thicken the formula, that was a concern to me. I get the issue, but it can cause other problems (like crop impact ion). I’m hoping the applesauce or ACV helps, but I would be tempted to give one feeding that’s a little more runny.

And as I mentioned before - you don’t want to stretch the crop so it’s better to feed “her” amount than try to go by some chart.... it’s like the children’s growth chart at the pediatrician, it was wrong in 1958 and still wrong for most kids but everybody goes by it. :D
Thanks... I’m just worried about her being underweight/stunted. You think a yeast infection could be starting? He ran tests yesterday and it was clear. I really think the crop filling up with air is my fault, the syringe is a little too big for her so I can’t get it actually inside her mouth, and I’m still just learning :( I feel so bad that it’s at her expense. Do you think I should give her a tiny bit of apple sauce just in case? Does it matter the brand or anything?

edit: I put the syringe to her right side and squirt it in

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’ll try calling the vet again tomorrow (I tried calling today but the only vet that cares for birds was away) and see what he thinks. I really hope he’ll be able to teach me the best way to feed her to avoid the crop bubbles.
her crop emptied completely this morning too by the way, I don’t really feel like it’s a yeast infection, especially since she was completely cleared yesterday. The vet said everything about her was really healthy besides her weight.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ll have to buy some anyway just in case I do end up needing it. Thanks!
It’s really easy to make if you’re ever stuck- it’s essentially just apples cooked in a small amount of water till it’s mushy.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Her crop is still pretty full and it’s been about an hour and a half since the last feeding... I know I don’t need to let it empty all the way, but it’s still almost the same as after I fed her two hours ago. Usually when chicks are getting fed this thick of formula theyre getting fed every 3 hours but the vet told me 2 hours for her to gain weight... this is so confusing to navigate. Should I give her a thinner feeding right now? Or wait a bit longer? :/

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Welp I took it upon myself to do a little bit of both. I waited about an extra 20 minutes, it went down a little bit, and I fed her 2 parts water and 3/4part formula (instead of one whole part). She ate about .5mL again. I think most of whats inside her crop is just air :( Shes so food crazy. She learned that now she can be fed in the brooder and will start gnawing on her cloth buddies trying to get food... sounds like we’ll be going to the vet for her birthday :(

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Kind of off topic but her back seems to be itchy... each time I checked on her she was trying to reach behind her to scratch (I’d scratch for her with a Q-tip and she loved it, absolutely adorable) but I’m wondering if that might be a bad sign? I looked through her bedding and I’m not seeing any mites or anything like that. Maybe her pins are just growing in and it’s a little itchy?