• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I would feed a little less than that to avoid overstretching the crop. You are constantly checking on her so it´s not like her crop could empty and you won´t notice.
Okay... the fact that she’s supposed to be eating like almost 3mL or something by now really scared me, so I’ve been trying to make her eat at least one every feeding, but in the morning she fits two in just fine. I’ll feed her a little less, thank you! :heart:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She also never seems full until I put her back in the brooder... like it takes her a minute to realize she’s full or something. Is that normal?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just a smidge less so it isn´t so strained and stretches out would be perfect :)

The most important thing is to be sure you´re prepping the formula correctly. Fill her crop until it is full, it´s worth noting the amount fed, just so you can monitor it, but don´t try to give more if the crop is full.

. like it takes her a minute to realize she’s full or something. Is that normal?
It´s a baby thing :) Once she get´s a little older she won´t do that.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Just a smidge less so it isn´t so strained and stretches out would be perfect :)

The most important thing is to be sure you´re prepping the formula correctly. Fill her crop until it is full, it´s worth noting the amount fed, just so you can monitor it, but don´t try to give more if the crop is full.

It´s a baby thing :) Once she get´s a little older she won´t do that.
Okay... thank you so much!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
(Sorry I took so long to reply, I’ve been doing school work in between feedings)
Me too...sorry I took so long coming back but I had to type out a lengthy email regarding my medical bills to get some help sorting it out. Thanks for the crib tour!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix has the strangest habit going on right now. (I don’t remember if I posted it here or not, but I decided to name him/her Phoenix because of her fiery will to survive) She’ll cry on and off for like half an hour, even if I wasn’t disturbing anything, but I’ll check her anyway. I tuck her back into her nest with her cloth buddies, and it makes her stop crying. So strange but so cute!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's hard to say why she does that though I do think it's normal. She's in a unique situation where she is the only living being in her nest. Her peeping could be contact calling for siblings or parents for reassurance. If her crop is full it's not because she's hungry and she settles down after you check on her tucking her in with her little buddies. Phoenix is a great name for such a little fighter!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So it’s nearly time for another feeding. I had a peak at her and her crop still looks pretty full. It’s definitely gone down since last feeding, but if I overfed her a little last feeding and I fed her now it’d be right back to over feeding. The vet said I should feed her every two hours, no matter how full her crop is, but this looks a little too full... do you think waiting an extra twenty minutes or so is okay?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So it’s nearly time for another feeding. I had a peak at her and her crop still looks pretty full. It’s definitely gone down since last feeding, but if I overfed her a little last feeding and I fed her now it’d be right back to over feeding. The vet said I should feed her every two hours, no matter how full her crop is, but this looks a little too full... do you think waiting an extra twenty minutes or so is okay?
Take a photo of her current crop but try not to keep her out of her container for long. Double check the temperature of the inside of the container... what is that temp? And.. as Zara mentioned... take note of how much formula each feeding you are giving her. You have the chart I attached. If you can't print it out then make a chart and write everything down.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She’ll cry on and off for like half an hour, even if I wasn’t disturbing anything, but I’ll check her anyway. I tuck her back into her nest with her cloth buddies, and it makes her stop crying. So strange but so cute!
She's in a unique situation where she is the only living being in her nest. Her peeping could be contact calling for siblings or parents for reassurance.
Exactly.
Remember the photos I showed you of a huddle of chicks, they can hear each other so when one falls from the huddles (because they won´t stop wiggling), they know where the group is and can wiggle on over and snuggle back in.
Your little knot friends are not very social and so Phoenix does not know where they are and can´t find them because her eyes are still closed. When her eyes open she will be able to get there on her own and won´t cry as much.

I decided to name him/her Phoenix because of her fiery will to survive)
Great name :)
I love how it has a nice meaning but is also unisex (just in case she is a he). Very fitting!
I called my little wiggler Adélie, after the Adélie penguin species, apparently a fiesty species.

As this is not the time when the crop needs to empty (is it not?), then feed her when it´s time, but only feed until the crop is full.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Take a photo of her current crop but try not to keep her out of her container for long. Double check the temperature of the inside of the container... what is that temp? And.. as Zara mentioned... take note of how much formula each feeding you are giving her. You have the chart I attached. If you can't print it out then make a chart and write everything down.
8838823B-139E-467B-A087-784B5FEEF58A.jpeg CCBA33A2-F753-4D1D-B2E3-E910F81D2D0E.jpeg
Sigh... I see some more air bubbles. She gets so excited with feeding she starts gulping before I even have the syringe in her face. It’s not as bad as it was when I took her to the vet though.
The temp in the brooder says 95° exactly. Should I turn it up a bit more?
I’ll be sure to start writing it down. I know last feeding she ate .7mL

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Exactly.
Remember the photos I showed you of a huddle of chicks, they can hear each other so when one falls from the huddles (because they won´t stop wiggling), they know where the group is and can wiggle on over and snuggle back in.
Your little knot friends are not very social and so Phoenix does not know where they are and can´t find them because her eyes are still closed. When her eyes open she will be able to get there on her own and won´t cry as much.

Great name :)
I love how it has a nice meaning but is also unisex (just in case she is a he). Very fitting!
I called my little wiggler Adélie, after the Adélie penguin species, apparently a fiesty species.

As this is not the time when the crop needs to empty (is it not?), then feed her when it´s time, but only feed until the crop is full.
Thank you! I feel bad for her. I hope her eyes open soon, I see little slits forming though!
That’s a really cute name haha
The vet said feed her every two hours, even if it’s just “topping off” but since I over filled her crop last feeding, now her crop just looks like it’s full, so I’m not sure if I should wait or not. She’s sleeping soundly anyway

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, I see a lot of air.
Brooder temp is ok. Try to keep it steady - inconsistent temps can cause problems.

Are you picking her up to feed her? Like in your hand?
She can´t see, so she feels you touching her and knows food is coming... but when? Better start swallowing now!
Try to feed her in the brooder without lifting her out. Get the food ready so as soon as the syringe is in the beak and she shows feeding response, you can feed her. She won´t see you coming with the food and shouldn´t start gulping until she feels you touch her.

Don´t feed her just yet, I would wait a half hour and see. Hopefully it goes down. Remember you did pack that crop pretty full.

Did tghe vet give you tips on how to massage the air out? (Don´t do that when there is still food in crop)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Yes, I see a lot of air.
Brooder temp is ok. Try to keep it steady - inconsistent temps can cause problems.

Are you picking her up to feed her? Like in your hand?
She can´t see, so she feels you touching her and knows food is coming... but when? Better start swallowing now!
Try to feed her in the brooder without lifting her out. Get the food ready so as soon as the syringe is in the beak and she shows feeding response, you can feed her. She won´t see you coming with the food and shouldn´t start gulping until she feels you touch her.

Don´t feed her just yet, I would wait a half hour and see. Hopefully it goes down. Remember you did pack that crop pretty full.
Thanks, I’ll feed her in the brooder then! If the air isn’t out by tomorrow, I guess it’s back to the vet we go :/ poor girl, I feel so bad

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did tghe vet give you tips on how to massage the air out? (Don´t do that when there is still food in crop)
Sorry I added this last line on after I posted. Did you see it?

If the vet didn´t show you how to get the air out, it would be good if they could show you. While the baby has her eyes closed, It could happen again.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Sorry I added this last line on after I posted. Did you see it?

If the vet didn´t show you how to get the air out, it would be good if they could show you. While the baby has her eyes closed, It could happen again.
No he didn’t, but he also said he wasn’t able to get the air out by hand either. He had to use a tube to suck the air out

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I see.
Once the chicks eyes are open there will be less chance of this happening because she can actually see what is going on and will learn quickly where the food comes from.
Let´s see how things are in a little while...

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I see.
Once the chicks eyes are open there will be less chance of this happening because she can actually see what is going on and will learn quickly where the food comes from.
Let´s see how things are in a little while...
Do you think it’s possible to start spoon feeding her soon? I think that’d help the air problem