• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Think he was maybe testing to take a bath. Likely he;s playing with the water & if he;s acting fine he should be OK.
Yeah after vigorously preening himself he’s back to running around and playing. I think he was like “don’t touch me I’m wet :shifty::roflmao:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So he only ate formula once today, I tried to give him his formula every hour this morning from 10am-3pm, and he flew away every time. I fed him his formula at 10pm, and he was extremely reluctant to eat it and only ate about 2mL. He’s definitely ready for once a day feedings, and maybe even no more formula at all

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just do your night feed tonight. Be sure he sgoes to sleep with a full crop :)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Every time Phoenix drinks water he sneezes like crazy like he got water in his nose. Is there anyway to help him avoid this? The bowl I’m using is slightly tilted so he doesn’t need to bend over so far to grab a sip, I’m wondering if maybe he can’t see the water that well since the bowl is stainless steel?

He also just gave himself another bath in his water bowl, do you think he’s ready for a real bird bath?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Ohh and a little happy update, he eats a lot of veggies now. He prefers them raw, and will only eat them if I am eating them :roflmao: so I ended up putting some of his chop, pellets, and sprouted seeds on the plate of veggies I was eating and he ate a lot of sprouted seeds!
And my dad got me a huge cage for Phoenix for my birthday(he gave it to me early since he wouldn't be able to hide it lol)! It's twice the size as the one Phoenix is in, now, I'm super excited to set it up for him

Last edited:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohh and a little happy update, he eats a lot of veggies now. He prefers them raw, and will only eat them if I am eating them :roflmao: so I ended up putting some of his chop, pellets, and sprouted seeds on the plate of veggies I was eating and he ate a lot of sprouted seeds!
And my dad got me a huge cage for Phoenix for my birthday(he gave it to me early since he wouldn't be able to hide it lol)! It's twice the size as the one Phoenix is in, now, I'm super excited to set it up for him
Aww, yay Phoenix! It's great that he loves his veggies.
Can't wait to see the new cage! I bet Phoenix will love it.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Personally I don’t think Phoenix needs/wants his formula anymore. He always got a little grumpy every time I gave him any but tonight he cleared off the whole spoon (which after looking down I found it all over my pant leg, so he was just spitting it all out) and then he flew off squawking and wouldn’t even come up to my finger anymore. He sure was mad at me. Do you think we could stop?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he´s not eating anything at all, then stop formula. But pay close attention because when you don´t offer it, he might want it. In a few days to a week, if he´s not asking for food, and doing well on his foods, then he will be weaned :)

edit; I wanted to say, but got distracted :facepalm: How wonderful of your dad to get you a new cage for Phoenix! I´m also super excited to see it :D

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If he´s not eating anything at all, then stop formula. But pay close attention because when you don´t offer it, he might want it. In a few days to a week, if he´s not asking for food, and doing well on his foods, then he will be weaned :)

edit; I wanted to say, but got distracted :facepalm: How wonderful of your dad to get you a new cage for Phoenix! I´m also super excited to see it :D
Awesome! I’ll be sure to keep a close eye on him food-wise, but he usually eats out of the cage with me anyway :roflmao:

I’m super excited too! It was so nice of him. Phoenix is gonna love it!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oooo looks nice and spacious! Just make sure to be careful about chewing, if the wood is painted he could eat some of the paint.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Oooo looks nice and spacious! Just make sure to be careful about chewing, if the wood is painted he could eat some of the paint.
Nope it’s not painted! My dad made sure everything was non toxic, including the wire mesh

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
View attachment 376005
View attachment 376006
Phoenix’s new cage! I haven’t put all of his perches or toys in yet, I want to make sure he’s comfortable in there before I full on move him in.
(He saw my phone then started to move to attack it in that second pic :roflmao: )
AMAZING!!!! :heart: :jawdrop1: I wish I had a cage like that:hilarious:
Where did you get it and for how much?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
Nice! I love those big doors -- that'll make it so easy to take things in and out. The cage my flighted budgies were in (before I just got the new one for all of them) had really similar dimensions to that one. My birds used every inch of it, even though some people say their birds won't go down in the bottom half. (Of course, mine would sit on a low perch and stare directly into the eyes of the cat that was watching them, so they've never been particularly sensitive to threats! :roflmao:) It's nice that that cage is roomy without having a huge footprint -- that should make it easier to take with you wherever you wind up next. Love it!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My only concern is that climbing frame thing in the middle. If you have a little extra money you should see if cockatoo John could make you one of natural wood.