• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
If he’s sleeping, he probably won’t be sleeping next to the water container. If you are worried about him falling in in the middle of the night, make one spot of the cage a sleepy sanctuary like I did with a Cozy Corner (NOT THE TENTS, the blanket-looking one) and he will stick to that side like a magnet.
Or keep the water warm.
(I’ve never handled a baby bird nor a budgie, so if anyone says I’m wrong or thinks I’m wrong, say something. Take my advice lightly :)

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If he’s sleeping, he probably won’t be sleeping next to the water container. If you are worried about him falling in in the middle of the night, make one spot of the cage a sleepy sanctuary like I did with a Cozy Corner (NOT THE TENTS, the blanket-looking one) and he will stick to that side like a magnet.
Or keep the water warm.
(I’ve never handled a baby bird nor a budgie, so if anyone says I’m wrong or thinks I’m wrong, say something. Take my advice lightly :)
I moved his cloth buddy in the cage too, hopefully he stays on that side :roflmao:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If the water is far enough away it´s very unlikely he´ll fall in. But if you are away at 6am anyway then you can take it out because he´ll be sleepng most of the time overnight.
If he´s in the little cage, cover a back end of it with a tea towel so it´s sheltered, and will keep a little extra warmth in.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If the water is far enough away it´s very unlikely he´ll fall in. But if you are away at 6am anyway then you can take it out because he´ll be sleepng most of the time overnight.
If he´s in the little cage, cover a back end of it with a tea towel so it´s sheltered, and will keep a little extra warmth in.
Alright! I’ll take it out at night just to be on the safe side. And ooo I already covered it with the tea towel, I feel smart :roflmao: :lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Make sure your room is nice and warm through the night :)

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Adding off @Zara ‘s post (just a thought) it’s a good idea to cover a bird during night time. It helps my conure get ready for bed, telling him Mama’s done for the night, and it keeps in warmth. Night frights aren’t a good thing. If one thing moves that my bird can see, he gets scared. So that’s why I cover his cage. You might want to do a trial night—one night without, one night with—and see what happens.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I personally don´t. I leave the front portion open (uncovered) while they get acustomed to the cage living. That way I can see them and be sure they´re ok without having to move the cover and wake them.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I got a couple look-out perches that’re meant for windows, I’m hoping I can get them to stick to my wall so Phoenix can land on the wall instead of running into it. He’s only full on crashed into the wall once (that was today) but he’s flown into the wall another time... it’s enough for me to want to make some changes

Is there anything else I can do that might help prevent it? I know he’s still learning to fly so some bumps are bound to happen, but I don’t want anything major to happen to him

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is there anything else I can do that might help prevent it?
Maybe start a thread on The Airport and ask for some tips :) Not all members will read through all of these pages to get to your question.
I never had any issues with learning to fly other that the obvious (having to move sharp objects, unsafe objects etc out of the room) .

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Maybe start a thread on The Airport and ask for some tips :) Not all members will read through all of these pages to get to your question.
I never had any issues with learning to fly other that the obvious (having to move sharp objects, unsafe objects etc out of the room) .
Okay! Thanks!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So I gave him some seats with his pellets. At first he’d roll them around in his beak before throwing it, so I offered some millet, too, but he did the same thing. I left for a bit (I was still in the room but I wasn’t paying much attention to him) and the majority of the seeds were gone. I found some hulls, but I don’t know if it was all of them. But this at least shows he can break open seeds!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He wanted to pig out in peace :embarassed:

Just be sure he eats well before bed (I think I already said that though).

Is he drinking water ok?

(Edit, sorry my computer froze up for a second and spammed the thread )

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Goodness Phoenix is so confident today. He’s been climbing all over my shirt, perching on my shoulders, and flying around the room. He’s getting pretty good at it, but he seems to only like landing in one place which is a shelf I can barely reach. Luckily he’s pretty good about coming to my finger, so I can put my finger on the edge and he’ll climb up onto it and come down :roflmao:
He also hates the shirt I’m wearing today for some reason:rofl: I’m wearing a red flannel, and he’s gnawing on the collar and buttons and sort of growling like he hates it:roflmao:
Edit: the “growling” sound Phoenix makes doesnt sound like the official budgie growl, but it definitely sounds like disapproval :roflmao:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So Phoenix didn’t wanna eat a ton of formula again. I actually have no guess on how much he ate, maybe like 3-4mL? But his crop didn’t get completely full. He’s consistently trying to fly away every time it’s time for formula(he actually flew for a whole two minutes, and landed on my hand!! I was so proud :heart: ). Should I start feeding him less often and with more real food again? He seemingly really hates his formula.

Should I also leave some pellets in the brooder just in case he gets hungry in the middle of the night? I decided to leave his water in there since he hasn’t been going inside the water at all, I think he’s gotten used to the bowl

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I went in there to check on him and I saw him breathing with his beak open :( I had turned up the heater a bit because I didn’t want him to get too cold, so I’m hoping it was just too hot for him. I turned it back down.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I also decided to feel his crop, and it does actually feel full. Is it possible his crop is shrinking? I’m used to his big ol’ overstretched crop, the vet said it may heal some on its own. Hoping this is the case! I also decided not to give him any pellets just because he’d be sleeping anyway, but he does have water. I hope he sleeps good his first night in the cage! (He seems appreciative that I put his sock buddy in there, he’s snuggling it right now :roflmao: :heart: ) I’m also 90% sure him breathing with his beak open was just from the heat, I peaked back in awhile later after the room cooled a bit and he was fine. I’ll still mention it to the vet though just in case, maybe he can listen for anything unusual or something

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If he had been eating adult foods, be sure you see him drinking water.

I saw someone else mention cozy corners. I got one for my youngest (because he´s alone), and he snuggles with it every night. He has finessed it so it´s like an ¨r ¨ shape where he´s pulled the top down, then he scoots right up and snuggles in. You have to watch that it isn´t being chewed, but your little guy might like having one to sleep with .
I got mine here; Prevue Cozy Corner Snuggler Small (assorted colors)
(and I see they´re on sale 50% off)