• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I've had a brilliant idea! You all will have to wait and see... :sneaky:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he´s doing that with poops, clean them up so he can´t and offer him some pellets :)

Just because we give the adult foods after the formula, doesn´t mean that´s the only time they can have them. It´s just higher chance they will eat them. So if he´s after more.. Offer some more things for him to explore :)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If he´s doing that with poops, clean them up so he can´t and offer him some pellets :)
He poops like every 15 minutes, then will find it only a couple minutes later and start pecking at it :roflmao: The vet said I should only give him a few pellets a day :/ I’ll see what he says tomorrow, maybe if his crop is all better the vet will say I can give him as many pellets as he wants

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Phoenix has learned how to use the plate!! I felt bad taking it away after a few pieces, but the vet said not to give him more than 2 or 3 at a time... you can see him breaking the pellets open and eating only half of it like he would with seeds :roflmao:

Edit: he’s been sitting next to me in the cage for about 3 hours total(not all at once, I make him stay in the brooder for about two hours after he eats just in case)... he’s so happy in there. I can’t wait until he can stay out all the time. I’ve made my room 80° again so he doesn’t get cold
When I look at this baby I just tear up...So gorgeous! I just want to kiss him so bad!!!!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix got his first ouchie today :( I’m not exactly sure what happened but he came to me in his play cage asking to rub a certain spot on his cheek and there was a little bit of blood :( I found some feathers in the wood of his perch, so I’m assuming they got ripped out. Anything I should do? I tried to dab the blood with a q-tip but he got mad

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I think the bleeding stopped, it was such a tiny amount, like when you pluck an eyebrow hair sometimes and a little blood comes out. Is it something serious though? Should I stop using real wood perches because of this or maybe shave the bark down a little?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I think the bleeding stopped, it was such a tiny amount, like when you pluck an eyebrow hair sometimes and a little blood comes out. Is it something serious though? Should I stop using real wood perches because of this or maybe shave the bark down a little?
Yes, definitely take any rough or peeling bits of bark/skin down to smooth. I bet he was doing some beak cleaning/rubbing and got his feathers caught.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Yes, definitely take any rough or peeling bits of bark/skin down to smooth. I bet he was doing some beak cleaning/rubbing and got his feathers caught.
Poor little guy, I feel so bad. He doesn’t seem phased at all but he’s a little sweet bean who deserves no harm :(

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Poor little guy, I feel so bad. He doesn’t seem phased at all but he’s a little sweet bean who deserves no harm :(
Life happens. You can't prevent everything, but it's a good habit to run your fingers and eyes over every toy looking for sharp, gaps, and other issues. He's going to get more dexterous soon, so you're going to be looking for toe dangers soon too.