• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Do you guys know when he’ll be able to start sleeping in the cage? He’s absolutely hating the brooder now. I can hear him trying to peck his way out a lot, trying to climb through, and flapping his wings like crazy. It takes him nearly two hours to calm down whenever he gets back in the brooder.
He seems pretty comfortable in the cage, the only thing that scares me is that he tries to climb up the walls of the cage even though he can’t quite fly yet to catch himself if he falls. He has actually fallen asleep in the cage though, it’s so cute. I haven’t kept his in there for longer than an hour though.

Also his brooder is currently set to 81°, I’ve been turning it down whenever he seems hot.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have them at room temperature when they’re fully feathered. But he’s been a little behind the charts. Why don’t you go ahead and lower it gradually— a degree or 2 each day?

He’s old enough now, so as soon as the temperature is leveled out you could move him. You don’t want him to chill after all this hard work.

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I have them at room temperature when they’re fully feathered. But he’s been a little behind the charts. Why don’t you go ahead and lower it gradually— a degree or 2 each day?

He’s old enough now, so as soon as the temperature is leveled out you could move him. You don’t want him to chill after all this hard work.
Yeah for sure. I could also crank the heat back up in my room, I have it at 78° now, I’ve been lowering it as the heat pad has been lowered :roflmao:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix has a super itchy neck for some reason. I think it might be because his feathers are still growing there? I’m also slightly worried about the possibility of fleas or something, even though the possibility is so slim because none of the animals in my house even have fleas, I always wash my hands before handling him, and Phoenix has never even met any of the other animals nor have been in the same room. I’m definitely overthinking it aren’t I :ashamed3: :roflmao:

On the bright side, Phoenix has finally let me start petting him and giving him scratches. I don’t think he realized it was even a possibility, he used to only nibble on my fingers for food:roflmao: it’s so cute having him waddle up and bow his head for some pets. I’ll try to get a video later, but he gets aggressive when he sees my phone:lol:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix has learned how to use the plate!! I felt bad taking it away after a few pieces, but the vet said not to give him more than 2 or 3 at a time... you can see him breaking the pellets open and eating only half of it like he would with seeds :roflmao:

Edit: he’s been sitting next to me in the cage for about 3 hours total(not all at once, I make him stay in the brooder for about two hours after he eats just in case)... he’s so happy in there. I can’t wait until he can stay out all the time. I’ve made my room 80° again so he doesn’t get cold

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
34A4E80A-0E1C-4F88-A6BA-B6229DED6FFA.jpeg
So I added a higher perch in the cage because Phoenix was climbing up the bars a lot, I thought he might like it, but as soon as I did he started laying and walking around like this... but I know he can walk fine because when I open the cage he stands up and starts walking around normally. Anyone know why he’s doing this?

Edit: I took out the higher perch and he’s still doing it so I think it’s unrelated

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
It's so crazy how much he has grown from hardly the size of a quarter to this! Your an amazing momma bird

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Uhh... so I have Phoenix out in the cage, and he was dead set on eating his poop?? I kept trying to distract him from doing it but he kept b-lining for it, so I ended up just cleaning it all up. Any reason why he was doing this though?? Is he possibly lacking nutrients?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Weirdo!
Well of course it’s a possibility but more likely he just found something he could eat! :roflmao:
He’s so strange! I noticed he wasn’t actually swallowing it, but he’d crush it all up in his beak before spitting it out. I think he wants more pellets... I can’t wait until I can give him unlimited access

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s so strange! I noticed he wasn’t actually swallowing it, but he’d crush it all up in his beak before spitting it out. I think he wants more pellets... I can’t wait until I can give him unlimited access
One of my budgies does this too sometimes. It's very weird. :laugh:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
F5EF5993-2397-44AA-A775-442702343551.jpeg
Ive been sitting next to him on my bed while I do my homework, and he keeps taking little naps right next to me :heart: I can’t wait until he can fly so I don’t need to keep a constant eye on him, he loves to snuggle!!