• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Okay I figured out the pellet issue, I found some that can get here on Monday or Tuesday.

Now I just have questions about feeding.. How much should she be eating every 4 hours? I assume it’s 4-5mL since she was eating a little more than 2mL every two hours before... how many times a day should she eat? I wake up and start feeding her at 6am, which would mean the last feeding before midnight would be 10pm, should I have her wait 8 hours through the night or feed her again at midnight after two hours? I’m sorry I always over complicate things in my head :roflmao:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How much should she be eating every 4 hours?
A full crops worth.
If she stops before then, or pulls back, give her a second, then offer one last time before ending the feeding.

should I have her wait 8 hours through the night or feed her again at midnight after two hours?
No feeding after two hours.
Just do 7, 11, 3, 7, 11. See how you get on and adjust accordingly.

This won´t last long. She´ll soon be on 4 feeds a day, which would be something like, 7, 1, 6, 11.
As Phoenix weans, the next feed to go is a ¨middle¨ feed, so then you would have, 7, 3, 11.
Then next you just have two feeds, morning and evening (before bedtime)
Then finally, the last feed to go is always the bedtime feed.

The times are just rough so you get an idea of what to expect. You might find they don´t work for you and you do slightly different times, but it will be along those lines.

When weaning, offer the adult foods right after the formula, start with pellets soaked in warm water, and some mashed warm veggies.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
A full crops worth.
If she stops before then, or pulls back, give her a second, then offer one last time before ending the feeding.

No feeding after two hours.
Just do 7, 11, 3, 7, 11. See how you get on and adjust accordingly.

This won´t last long. She´ll soon be on 4 feeds a day, which would be something like, 7, 1, 6, 11.
As Phoenix weans, the next feed to go is a ¨middle¨ feed, so then you would have, 7, 3, 11.
Then next you just have two feeds, morning and evening (before bedtime)
Then finally, the last feed to go is always the bedtime feed.

The times are just rough so you get an idea of what to expect. You might find they don´t work for you and you do slightly different times, but it will be along those lines.

When weaning, offer the adult foods right after the formula, start with pellets soaked in warm water, and some mashed warm veggies.
What veggies are a good idea for babies? Thank you!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I think yesterday Phoenix weighed about 49g, and today she only weighs 46.8g.
I’m a little worried, but I also don’t know how accurate yesterday’s weight was... she wouldn’t sit still at all so the number was jumping all over the place, and her crop was filled with air. This morning her crop was completely empty, not even air inside.

I also haven’t started giving the new medication yet because I didn’t want to start giving it to her last night before bed when I wouldn’t be able to monitor her

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe weigh her again mid day today as a check? I know that sometimes low batteries, or the bird not being centered on the scale can have an effect.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Maybe weigh her again mid day today as a check? I know that sometimes low batteries, or the bird not being centered on the scale can have an effect.
I could try that, but I feel like she’ll weigh more either way because her crop won’t be completely empty... I emailed the vet my concerns and I’ll see what he says.

She also flew about half a foot this morning(or perhaps, fell with style). When I picked her up out of the scale, she perched on my fingers like she always does, and she flew onto the table. She landed on her feet at first but it’s a glass table so she fell forward :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What veggies are a good idea for babies?
Any. You can mash them so they´re softer. I hear people having success with sweetpotato (you gotta cook that), for me, broccoli, carrots, peas all work great :)

the bird not being centered on the scale can have an effect.
That´s the tricky one, especially when they´re on the move :lol: Use a bowl lined with kitchen roll to keep her still the best you can in the middle.

She landed on her feet at first but it’s a glass table so she fell forward
Try to be careful. While she´s on formula you don´t want her banging her crop.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Any. You can mash them so they´re softer. I hear people having success with sweetpotato (you gotta cook that), for me, broccoli, carrots, peas all work great :)

That´s the tricky one, especially when they´re on the move :lol: Use a bowl lined with kitchen roll to keep her still the best you can in the middle.

Try to be careful. While she´s on formula you don´t want her banging her crop.
Thank you! Yes I feed her actually on the table, which is probably why she flew onto it because she was so hungry :roflmao:

I am currently using a Tupperware bowl (that’s taller than her) lined with tissues... the only way I can get her to sit remotely still is by letting her nibble on my finger (she usually nibbles on my fingers when she’s hungry, I’ll just put my finger above her and she goes to town) but it’s still not enough for the numbers on the scale to stay on one number. I always just pick the number that it keeps going back to repeatedly.

I’ve tried feeding her in the scale, too, and it didn’t work at all she gets too excited and flaps her wings when she eats. I’ve also tried taking the whole brooder and putting it on the scale, zeroing it, then putting her in but that didn’t work either since she won’t sit still.

I’m not crazy worried about the potential weight loss just because yesterday’s weight probably wasn’t accurate at all, and her crop was totally empty this morning unlike previous mornings... plus I haven’t started the antifungal yet(I was going to when she’s due for her antibiotics which is 10am) so the weight loss can’t be from that

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Hi! For some context, one of my family friends started breeding her parakeets... it was a terrible idea in my opinion, because she has no idea what she’s doing. The budgie in question hatched yesterday (01/20) and was not being fed by the parents, and basically shoved away.
Honestly, I had seen something like this coming. I spent days prior researching how to care for budgie hatchlings, watching videos on how to hand feed them,etc. After the budgie was neglected by the parents, and my family friend refused to do anything for it, I stepped up.
View attachment 370644
this was taken the night I got her, after I fed her.
View attachment 370645
View attachment 370646
these two are from today (01/21).
I just want to know if she looks healthy? She eats really good, and her crop empties about every half hour (yes last night was so rough for me lol). Shes also sure to let me know that she’s hungry. She’s on a heating pad in her little nest I made her, keeping her at about 98° and I check it regularly. I put my hand in with her a lot to snuggle with her because she just looks so lonely. She does seem very lively, and even bites the syringe when I feed her.
Is her bright pink color normal? Her belly/rump seems to be purple-ish too. I’m just so worried about her, I’ve already fallen in love. Thanks!!
I’m a stay at home college student (thanks covid) so I’m almost always with her
If she eats really good you're doing a good job! Wow! You're friends have no business breeding birds if they aren't prepared to do what you do. I am sure you share that opinion. I hope you keep an eye on your friend while she's "breeding" these poor birds. I think she looks healthy. Are all her tiny limbs moving?

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Phoenix:
(in classical mythology) a unique bird that lived for five or six centuries in the Arabian desert, after this time burning itself on a funeral pyre and rising from the ashes with renewed youth to live through another cycle

It feels like she rose from the ashes of her life with her older brothers and sisters. What a good name choice!:awww:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix:
(in classical mythology) a unique bird that lived for five or six centuries in the Arabian desert, after this time burning itself on a funeral pyre and rising from the ashes with renewed youth to live through another cycle

It feels like she rose from the ashes of her life with her older brothers and sisters. What a good name choice!:awww:
That’s exactly why I named her Phoenix. I’m a sucker for mythology :lol: :heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
View attachment 373969
Do these look sprouted enough to start giving Phoenix? I think they’d be good for older birds but Phoenix is so young... I won’t be getting the pellets until Monday
Yes. Sprouts are actually at their peak as soon as the little tail starts coming thru. She might enjoy sprouted quinoa, too - it's small and soft. My guys love it. Along with sweet potato.

And I was going to mention - chop the broccoli tops to death, like shred them. They love it.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Yes. Sprouts are actually at their peak as soon as the little tail starts coming thru. She might enjoy sprouted quinoa, too - it's small and soft. My guys love it. Along with sweet potato.

And I was going to mention - chop the broccoli tops to death, like shred them. They love it.
Awesome!! Thanks!