• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Such a cutie.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, sometimes people will let a bird's crop completely empty before each feeding, or only feed them when they ask for it. But just do whatever way works best for you and your budgie! :)
No. You shouldn´t ¨do whatever way works best¨, you should do what´s right.
Baby parrots crops only need to empty completely once per 24 hours. If you repeatedly let it empty to nothing, you can end up malnourishing the bird.

Phoenix is under vet care & has some issues so her care is specific to her & best to ask vet
before dietary changes.

Right now need to clear up an infection & get crop back in good health/shape.
You're doing well.
100% agree!!
@Britnicorn , Only start the weaning process when your vet says it is safe for Phoenix to do so - but I´m sure you already knew that :)

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
D38C9C35-0EC1-4AD0-9021-FBF5A31E6E7C.jpeg
Does this look like an okay weaning cage for phoenix? It’s 10 inches deep, 16 inches long, and 10 inches tall. She’d probably only use this for a week or less, just to start with before going to the big cage. (It’s actually an old travel cage)

Phoenix is still at the vet by the way, they were completely booked for today but the vet still wanted to see Phoenix so she’s just there until the vet is able to see her

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:thumbsup: Like the cage for safe weaning & will do for grown up travel cage.

Long day for Phoenix but hope everything is OK.

Bet vet will be surprised with the progress growth!

:cheer:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Does this look like an okay weaning cage for phoenix?
She doesn´t really need it, plus it´s too small.
You can just put the brooder container (without the thermometer etc, just the tub) and place it in the bottom of her cage when the time comes. She will likely spend the first night sleeping in the brooder but exploring the cage during the day.
You can line it with non pilling fleece to soften any falls.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She doesn´t really need it, plus it´s too small.
You can just put the brooder container (without the thermometer etc, just the tub) and place it in the bottom of her cage when the time comes. She will likely spend the first night sleeping in the brooder but exploring the cage during the day.
You can line it with non pilling fleece to soften any falls.
Okay! Thank you!!

Got some confusing news from the vet just now, I’ll talk about it when I’m home!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So this is going to be confusing to explain so please bear with me

He said the infection in her crop was nearly gone. He said when he first saw it the infection was so bad that there was foam filling her crop, but now the foam is all gone and there is only a trace of the infection(but he’s also not sure if there is even an infection, that’s where the confusion starts)

He said there’s not a dangerous trace of yeast, not any sign of yeast infection besides the extreme amounts of air in her crop. He said it’s possible the yeast infection is down into her belly where he can’t see it, but it’s also possible there’s a blockage causing the crop to empty slowly/the air. He watched her all day and he said within the four hours he fed her, her crop didn’t empty much, but it’s always empty in the mornings so he think it just empties slowly.

So long story short, after a long discussion of all our options, we decided to start her off with the antifungal, continue with the antibiotics, and check in on Friday. If it’s not any better by then, he’s going to put that liquid metal thing through her system and watch it go through the tract (sorry I don’t know what it’s called)

He also said I could start feeding her every four hours, and not only that I could start weaning her, he said I should start weaning her and it may help the air in her crop and also keep the bacteria at bay (since baby formula is so easy for bacteria to get to).

Overall, I would say this is mostly good news. I was expecting the battle with the yeast, and I’m praying that the air is nothing major.

Edit: I forgot to mention, he says it’s possible she doesn’t have a bacterial infection anymore because the possible blockage can emulate an inflammation

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Oh I also started sprouting some seeds last night because I had a feeling I would be starting soon.
I accidentally forgot about the seeds yesterday and they spent about 22 hours soaking before I drained them(instead of the 8-12 like recommended) are they still okay? Or do they risk being spoiled?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow sounds complicated to me. I guess it is one step at a time with little one. Thanks so much for keeping your AA fan club informed. @PoukieBear is our sprout person.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I'll tell you what I do but there are people here with more experience. If you put GSE or ACV in the soak water they should be OK. Drain them and feel them. If they feel slimy/slick, toss them. Put 1 part ACV to 4 parts water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Continue with the sprouting. If you want to be 100% certain, start over. The few times I've forgotten and left my seeds soaking for about 24 hours, they were fine.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thank you!! I felt them and they weren’t slimy at all, and they’re already sprouting quite a bit. I think they’re good

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
The vet recommended that I start feeding her high potency seed, but I can’t find any in my town! I could order some but it probably won’t get here for another week at least. Do you think it’s okay to feed her the Roudybush maintenance I have? She’ll only be eating a tiny bit every day

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
sorry, I meant high potency pellets, but I missed the deadline to edit lol

Also I forgot to mention, the vet said she doesn’t need to wear the crop bra anymore. It’s still bigger than a normal crop, but he thinks it’ll be like that her whole life because it hasn’t gone down much since last week. I don’t mind as long as it doesn’t cause issues :heart: