• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I need help with my sun conure

ginag0108

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gina
I have a female 10 year old sun conure. She started plucking out her feathers til she was bleeding on her chest, legs and wing. I took her to the vet yesterday but I still feel like I really don't know what's going on. The vet gave me antibiotics for her and pain meds and said it's probably hormonal and due to egg laying. Today she is still plucking her feathers. She won't come to me, which is not her. She is sitting in her little bed (her safe space) and turns her head from me, sometimes moving it up and down. She looks so horrible. I'm heartbroken and don't know what to do. I'm 2 hours away from an avian vet. I feel helpless right now and am in tears on how to help her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Gina,

Sometimes birds can act differently after a vet trip, especially a long journey when unwell.

Have you called your vet to talk on the phone? You can give them an update and see what they think.

Were any tests done? Was a collar mentioned?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How is your bird doing today?