• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help with grains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarbeth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Beth
This is the mix that I feed Buzz: Volkman soak and simmer
Birdseed.com Wingin it!

I mix in chopped frozen veggies (and any other veggies/fruits I have around) and some coconut oil. It's his main food base, and then he gets pellets and a bit of seeds and nuts.

It's pretty cheap directly from the maker, and it's super easy.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Birdseed.com Wingin it!

I mix in chopped frozen veggies (and any other veggies/fruits I have around) and some coconut oil. It's his main food base, and then he gets pellets and a bit of seeds and nuts.

Thank you. Yes, that is VERY reasonable. I think I am going to order 20 pounds. I have all small birds so it will probably last.

Vicki

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Birdseed.com Wingin it!

Does this last a pretty long time? It's really reasonable but the shipping is almost as much as the mix, which is ok as long as it will last for a little while:)

Vicki

sugarbeth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Beth
The price is still good even with the shipping. To compare, I pay $6+ for the 2lb size at the bird store. The mix will double in volume after it is soaked and cooked. I usually cook up 2 cups of mix at a time, which turns into 4 cups, then add a package of frozen veggies. Freeze in 1 cup containers. And Buzz gets about 1/4 cup of the total mix each day. So I think for Buzz, 2 cups of the raw mix lasts well over a month. But he is a little macaw. :) A 20lb bag would last a LONG time for him!

I have a pic of it all made up...

Attachments

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
The price is still good even with the shipping. To compare, I pay $6+ for the 2lb size at the bird store. The mix will double in volume after it is soaked and cooked. I usually cook up 2 cups of mix at a time, which turns into 4 cups, then add a package of frozen veggies. Freeze in 1 cup containers. And Buzz gets about 1/4 cup of the total mix each day. So I think for Buzz, 2 cups of the raw mix lasts well over a month. But he is a little macaw. :) A 20lb bag would last a LONG time for him!

I have a pic of it all made up...
Ok, that's it, I'm ordering it. I am making it for 7 budgies, 3 cockatiels, my GCC, my rosy Bourke and my Linnie. Their food probably adds up to about 1/4 to 1/2 cup when I make these mixes. It will last a long time.

Thank you!

Vicki

Status
Not open for further replies.