• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help with grains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi there,

I got Argyle, my Linnie a week ago tomorrow. The people fed him basically all fresh food, really good stuff. The way I feed my birds is that they have Lafeber pellets in their cages at all times. In the morning they get their other food which may be veggies, or veggies and fruit, birdie muffins, today they are having Orzo pasta with veggies like peas and corn and peppers mixed in. Then, I offer some seed in the afternoon. Argyle eats the pellets and the seed and he is now starting to pick at the fresh stuff but he's still cautious. Anyway, they had sent home a mix for me and they are supposed to send the recipe but haven't yet. It had grains in it and beans and I think some veggies. I don't know what grains were in there. What do you guys use when you make a mix like this? I went to the store and didn't see anything that looked like what was in there. It looked like barley or something and beans. Can you guys share what you use for your fresh mixes?

Thank you!

Vicki

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
My greys love it, its in that Nuts for Alfredo mix.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know what everyone else uses but

quinioa (sp)
amaranth
barley
oat grouts
wheat berries
to name a few
:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
When I make my rice mixture, I use brown rice and quinoa and some kind of whole wheat pasta. Then I add in some of the Goldenfeast single ingredient foods like goji berries, papaya, blueberries. I also add red palm oil.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I do not know what everyone else uses but

quinioa (sp)
amaranth
barley
oat grouts
wheat berries
to name a few
:hug8:
Ok, this is really helpful you guys. Where do you buy this stuff? At the grocery store? What area? How do you prepare it?

Vicki

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
I mix it up. Mostly fresh, mostly leafy dark green. But I am allowing grains now too. Perhaps your grains look like:

Bulgar

Couscous

Quinoa

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Vikki look in the health section or organic section of the grocery store. Sometimes they have some of this in bulk bins. Usually a 2-1 ratio of water to grains. Bring to a boil and simmer until water is absorbed.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I buy them in the organic section on my grocery stoer
where the rice is found :hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Vikki look in the health section or organic section of the grocery store. Sometimes they have some of this in bulk bins. Usually a 2-1 ratio of water to grains. Bring to a boil and simmer until water is absorbed.
Ok, I am going to check in he health section. Thank you!

Vicki

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Went to the store and got some cous cous and some pearl barley. They did not have the quinoa which bummed me out since that is what his mix from his previous owners had. But, the good news is that we have some local health food stores so I can probably find it there, but may not this week since I have a lot going on. I am going to make a mix of either the barley or the cous cous and a veggie mix with corn, beans and peppers. We'll see how that goes. Someone mentioned oat groats, is that just basically oatmeal or something else? Is oatmeal an option?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Vicki

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
steel cut oats is an option oat grouts is the oats before any pricessing:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
steel cut oats is an option oat grouts is the oats before any pricessing:hug8:
Are steel cut oats just regular oatmeal, like Quaker oatmeal that you can just cook and eat?

Thank you for all your help on this. I want to make Argyle stuff he likes!

Vicki

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
not quit they have more fiber the third choice is the long cook quaker oatmeal not the quick cook :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
awesome! I found a local place to get all of those ingredients in bulk, and they are organic also!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
not quit they have more fiber the third choice is the long cook quaker oatmeal not the quick cook :hug8:
Ok, I got it. I think I will go ahead and try the cous cous and the barley. Today he is enjoying the Orzo mix, so that's good. They told me he loves to eat,but he didn't seem to be "loving" the stuff I was making. I think he is coming around as he becomes more comfortable.

Vicki

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Went to the store and got some cous cous and some pearl barley. They did not have the quinoa which bummed me out since that is what his mix from his previous owners had. But, the good news is that we have some local health food stores so I can probably find it there, but may not this week since I have a lot going on. I am going to make a mix of either the barley or the cous cous and a veggie mix with corn, beans and peppers. We'll see how that goes. Someone mentioned oat groats, is that just basically oatmeal or something else? Is oatmeal an option?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Vicki
I get quinoa at the health food store here, the regular grocery doesn't carry it

Status
Not open for further replies.