• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help with behavior and biting problems, is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

Xefalen

Meeting neighbors
Ok, I start to really ask myself some things XD. I saw Coco trying to jump on Snowball's back and Snowball tried to jump on Cocos back as if they tried to mate. I start to doubt that she is a she or he a he. I think it's that they are either 2 males or 2 females (although males would probably be more logic...). Or the DNA test was wrong, which is rare but can happen

(sorry for spamming this sub)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s how you do it :) Food will always help to build trust :bliss:

Ok, I start to really ask myself some things XD. I saw Coco trying to jump on Snowball's back and Snowball tried to jump on Cocos back as if they tried to mate. I start to doubt that she is a she or he a he. I think it's that they are either 2 males or 2 females (although males would probably be more logic...). Or the DNA test was wrong, which is rare but can happen
When you go to the vet for a check up/wellness exam, you could conduct two new DNA tests if you want to know for sure.

Xefalen

Meeting neighbors
It was terribly hard to get Snowball in, once Coco was in before him. He startet wanting to nibble/bite/reach him through the cage. It didn't seems he wanted to get in, since I closed opened it and he didn't even tried.

Then I put a sheet over his cage, and Snowball was even more stressed because he didn't understood what was happening. after around 20 min, I tried to move Coco's cage out of my room, which confused him even more. In the end I just let the cage open and after years he went in XD. It really took between 1-2 hours.

At least I could get Coco on my arm, and then in the cage with some millet.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovebirds can be extremely stubborn little birds. ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
and after years he went in
:lol: That sounds about right!! :roflmao:

It really took between 1-2 hours.
Birds will always go back in, especially when hunger kicks in and they know that food bowl is in there. Worth remembering this before you let them out, that you need to be sure you have plenty of time to get them back in :)

Xefalen

Meeting neighbors
Today, I tried to interact with them. Coco wants but Snowball doesn't cares at all, he only cares ot get bak in his old cage. So I try to put them together again, but I let a way between the two cages, so one can go in the other cage. If it degenerates I'll put one of both back in...

Xefalen

Meeting neighbors
The second I did this, snowball starts again (two times, and the second time it's more insisting/aggressive). It's completely "R" worded, I don't think I'll ever get them together again... It may be because Snowball is hand fed since birth, the previous owner probably added Coco without any adapting time, Coco is only hand habituated (so they don't feed them directly after they hatch). It's actually a bit sad, and I don't really know what to do...

Now they exchanged cages, what actually wasn't my plan, they are probably just more confused. But I cannot handle them that good so I couldn't really decide, Coco followed.

It's really difficult because now they are continuing to just watch eachother most of the time (like hanging on the cage side) and it's not that easy to watch. Before I tried it they squeeked together, like they should do if they were in a normal cage....

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m struggling to follow a little bit.

Just remember, these things can sometimes take time. I had Sydney/Adelie courting for months before I allowed them to stay in the same cage. They would have the same out of cage time, even hang out in her cage during the day while I flew the others, but I would separate for bedtime, or if I went out - his cage was next to hers.
She pined for him a lot. Was always watching him, spreading her wings for him, always hung out on that side if he wasn´t in her cage.
It was hard taking him out of her cage and she wanted to go with him, but in the end it all paid off and now they live together peacefully (obv they bicker a little, they are lovebirds after all....)

Xefalen

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! That gives me hope. I'm having the feeling that I do everything wrong :banghead:, but anyway, you're right. I just have to give them time... Thank you!

next days I'll concentrate on: giving them better food and see what they like and what they don't. I already replaced every perch with real wood perches :). And I'll try to stick to the training!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just be sure they get time out together so they have the opportunity to fly, play and bond :)

Xefalen

Meeting neighbors
Oh yeah! About flying, I had one question. Do you have curtains? Because for now I just Sellotaped newspaper to my windows, but I would like to do something which is more practical, and if possible no curtains, since they make a lot of dust and my room is in the corner of the building and I live under a railway (so it's already VERY dusty...). Does anyone have some advice? Are stickers enough (I'm not sure, I always thought no, so I prefer to ask).

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think some people put decals up (stickers), I don´t know how effective they are. I have thin curtains.
Maybe start a thread and ask over on Safety Avenue ? :)

Xefalen

Meeting neighbors
Observation of the day:

Snowball isn't very active. He really only talks when he tried to communicate with Coco, which is Kinda weird. He rarely squeaks or talks in any way. At the moment he's only hanging at the cage's sides ad looking into Coco's cage. I installed 2 games for him, one swing and one Carton roll, he actually played a bit on the swing, but the carton isn't interesting him (although he loves destroying my books XD). Mybe he is just tired, they could fly out for 2/3 hours today, and they did :D. Also I cleaned their cages afterwards and my arm may have stressed him a bit.

I saw him fluff his feathers multiple times, but I think it is more of a way to relieve tension when I'm approaching my arm, or he is playing outside. His feather's aren't continuously fluffed, so he doesn't seem sick. He also fluffed before cleaning himself, but that is normal. I'll continue to watch out, but his behavior still a bit weird, he is often just looking, either oustide of the cage to me, or to coco.... . I really don't want to go to the Vet right now, because 1. I have no money, 2. I don't want to scare them more and to handle them, I know that a visit to the vet will make him uncomfortable.

Also, about the DNA tests, yes I will do them, but as late as possibe, since I want them to really trust me before if possible.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a peachfaced lovebird who is pretty quiet. He will return my calls, and the calls of his girlfriend. But he doesn´t sing or call for no reason. He´s a very quiet bird. I wouldn´t worry too muich about it.
Who likes the books¿ Coco? Maybe he would prefer a piece of white paper :)

I saw him fluff his feathers multiple times, but I think it is more of a way to relieve tension when I'm approaching my arm
My girls fluff as a warning to get back. Other times they do it during preening or before flight.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My girls fluff as a warning to get back. Other times they do it during preening or before flight.
Most of my lovies will raise the feathers on their head and upper back when giving a warning. They lower their heads at the same time for a next level warning. They do the body fluff and shake when they’re relaxing, and the tail shake when pleased with something.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Most of my lovies will raise the feathers on their head and upper back when giving a warning. They lower their heads at the same time for a next level warning.
Same here
But they do fluff and shake as well. It´s easy to distinguish as it is paired with the raised feathers etc

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Not really.
I would switch out those dowels (or move them lower down), and put some natural branches up there for him to rub his beak on.
A pedi-perch would be helpful to for him to keep his beak in tip top condition :) (I like the Hagen pediperches)