• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help taming!

makkibudgie

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hello! I recently got a cockatiel from my mom's friend. She had told us that he was about 3 months old, and this was back in april. He is not hand fed and is afraid of hands! He used to rock back and forth whenever anyone got close to his cage and would hiss whenever something got too close.

He's stopped doing that now and lets you feed him millet if you hold it out for him. He's still afraid of hands, though and runs away, but I'm not sure if it's okay for him to still be afraid! Whenever I see that he seems a bit too nervous, I back off and leave him be.

He does have moments where he seems happy and relaxed, and he chirps sometimes! It took him a couple of weeks for him to start chirping.

These past couple of days I've been trying to see if he would like to perch on my finger, but he tries to bite me and does a little squeak sound.. I'm not sure if that means he hates me :( Though it hasnt been too long since I first got him, so is the pace where things are going okay? Any tips on how to tame him without scaring him too much? :D

Also I do spend time with him by sitting next to his cage and every morning I change his food and give him water. I talk to him and call his name!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some birds just hate hands. Try seeing if he will work on stepping up onto a perch or stick instead :)

Is he Allowed out of the cage at all? That can help boost their confidence if they are given some freedom

LarryBird

Meeting neighbors
Vendor
Real Name
Diana
Congrats on your new adoptee cockatiel! Sometimes it takes months and years for a scared bird to warm up to a new family.

I adopted by cockatiel 14 years ago and he still hates hands (but has no problem now stepping up on my hand if it is covered with a towel!).

Great job with the millet! Slowly see if he will let your hand come near. If the hand is 5 inches away and he starts hissing, then put your hand 6 inches away and wait for him to calm down. Once he calms, give him a bit of millet as a reward. Then slowly move your hand 0.5 inches closer. Only give him millet as a reward for being calm. Continue this slowly and persistently over time and you might find that he can overcome some of the hand issues and maybe even step up! :) Good luck!

makkibudgie

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Some birds just hate hands. Try seeing if he will work on stepping up onto a perch or stick instead :)

Is he Allowed out of the cage at all? That can help boost their confidence if they are given some freedom
Thank you for the advice! He's been out of the cage a couple of times but he wont go out on his own, if he gets used to stepping onto a stick It'll be easier to take him out more often without forcing him out.

makkibudgie

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Congrats on your new adoptee cockatiel! Sometimes it takes months and years for a scared bird to warm up to a new family.

I adopted by cockatiel 14 years ago and he still hates hands (but has no problem now stepping up on my hand if it is covered with a towel!).

Great job with the millet! Slowly see if he will let your hand come near. If the hand is 5 inches away and he starts hissing, then put your hand 6 inches away and wait for him to calm down. Once he calms, give him a bit of millet as a reward. Then slowly move your hand 0.5 inches closer. Only give him millet as a reward for being calm. Continue this slowly and persistently over time and you might find that he can overcome some of the hand issues and maybe even step up! :) Good luck!
Thank you so much! I feel a lot more confident with your advice :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes they just need time and opportunity. If there is nothing outside of his cage that is enticing him, there isn't a reason to come out :) Try putting a perch just outside the door, and maybe a food bowl with his favorite food. Then open the door and walk away. Don't expect overnight results. Don't forget him out. Give him time and freedom to do it on his own. It can take months.