• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED HELP PLEASE, baby in my ¨garden¨

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
No. In English there´s no default and usually an animal of unknown gender is referred to as it. Eg. ¨The cat plays with it´s ball in the garden.¨

In Spain, Every animal already has a gender ¨assigned¨ because the actual word is feminine or masculine.
For example, Elefante (elephant) is masculine. Jirafa (Giraffe) is feminine.
Pigeon is Paloma, and Dove is Tortola - both are feminine. So when talking about the animal without knowing it´s gender it would be reffered to by ¨it¨ but here we have masculine or feminine ¨it¨ - ¨El¨ male or ¨Ella¨ female. There is no masculine/feminine neutral ¨it¨ word here.
So linguistics made him call Pepper ¨She¨.

BTW, is there a way to visually sex doves? The parents look the same ...
Spanish is the same as French then, so it is natural he'd say she.
As for English, I've often heard people say she of a baby for example, although there was nothing to indicate it was a girl. And since baby is a masculine word in French, I noticed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes Italian is the same with the M / F

Hmm I don´t know why they would call a baby she.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Look what I found on the floor...
IMG_20190830_151533.jpg

I've got a hold of pepper to check for bleeding or an open wound.
To me it loos like when a scab falls and new skin is underneath.
I will be emailing the pictures to the vet.
Anyone here have any thoughts?

IMG_20190830_153340.jpg IMG_20190830_153348.jpg IMG_20190830_153349.jpg please excuse my dry skin. I've made the pics small incase anyone doesn't want to see.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
could have been scratching himself, but it is not bloody, looks like he is healing well, which is good because you won't be able to hold him there for long now

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think it's old skin, and perhaps it took a stitch with them when it was falling off. You was at the vet yesterday and if there where something wrong I think the vet had told you so.

I´m staying positive because there´s no reason to think something wrong is happening.
I would do the same. :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Looks and sounds like exactly what you said, healing and preened off.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You was at the vet yesterday and if there where something wrong I think the vet had told you so.
Yea, we we´re there yesterday and the vet said it is healing well and that he would take the stitches out in a week if he was still hanging around my balcony.

If there was bleeding or a visible wound I would have took him right to the vet.

He has finished his course of amoxicillin. He had 8 days worth but I lost two quarters so that was a day lost. I gave the last pill last night.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Trying a new approach with the feeder....
IMG_20190831_085313.jpg I've dropped the big Bush back a bit so I can clip the feeder in the middle.
I also drilled extra holes so I can put the lid on at night and when it rains.
I didn't want to move the Bush completly because maybe they use that as reference. Let's see.......

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Repost

Some pictures of the healing. I took these last night. I had to grab pepper in the dark because I can't get near him any more, he doesn't like humans which is good.

Screenshot_20190831_215052_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20190831_215113_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20190831_215132_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20190831_215143_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Also it may sound strange but I noticed some uneaten seed sprouting behind the pepper plant so I have dug it out and potted it. It can stay here and grow once pepper fledges. Maybe one day he'll return and eat some seed from it...

IMG_20190831_202926.jpg IMG_20190831_212036.jpg IMG_20190831_212912.jpg IMG_20190831_212926.jpg