• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED HELP PLEASE, baby in my ¨garden¨

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good morning,

It´s almost 8am. I have had to lift to shutter so I can keep an eye on the chick, who has been calling for 10+minutes. My birds are now awake!1-2hours early! :(
I see a dove just arrived to the balcony in front... maybe that is her...

@tka Luckily the adults haven´t pooped on here at all. The baby has pooped in the pepper plant pot, so I question how safe that is now :(

edit, yes it´s her, she´s here and baby is begging for food

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yea @finchly I left crumbled dry bread, crumbled wet bread, seed, soaked seed, and veggies and pasta. The spare dish is out there with water.

Aww sounds cute :) , it would be better if I had a garden I would not mind at all. But it is just a balcony. This chick didn't leave the nest, the council workers came with chainsaws and cut it down whilst trimming the palm trees :(
much better on the balcony. At least you don't have to fear for cats

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She fed him :yah:
It was the cutest thing ever, she landed on the floor and he came running over to her!! He´s now sleeping again.
He tried to fly, did almost 2 metres distance but only 1 foot height.

much better on the balcony. At least you don't have to fear for cats
yes! and dogs and cars.
It is still very close to my birds, too close for my liking. Hopefully he will fly soon...

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:starshower:Yay mamma!! Hahaha oh that is too cute! Sounds like the little chick is well on his way to fledging :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She came and fed the bird at about 8am and returned just before at about 9.30 for a second feed where she fed him twice.

Poor little thing is just sat in the middle of the floor waiting for her.
The sun will be here about 2pm (in about 4 hours) it will be hot. Hopefully he will be ok. He is in the middle of the floor right now, but I will put him back in the plant pot in the shade when the sun comes.

Sounds like the little chick is well on his way to fledging
Yea and he´s constantly preening so hopfully soon he will be able to fly away :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Aaw how sweet! Hopefully he’ll scoot himself back into the *pepper plant before/when it starts to get hot. I had a west facing balcony when my pigeon friends decided to commandeer my mint plant and I worried about that little chick until he fledged.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea, I face west. Luckily there´s a building in front, so the sun only stays for about 4 hours, but it is so hot and at the hottest time of the day.
The hen has been sat on the railing for 10 minutes watching me :lol: She´s eyeing up the food on the table for her :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So everyone who said that doves don't abandon their chicks, you guys are right.
The chick has been fed at 8.30, 9.30, 10, and 11.30 so far. This last time, both parents came.
One fed the chick but a guy closed a sliding van door and scared them, but they came back and fed the chick some more a few minutes later.
*please excuse my dirty doors :eek:, it looks worse too because there's two doors together :(

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Yay! I'm so glad the parents have made their way back! It's so cute to see the baby being fed! The parents look like they are thinking - hmmm- I hear some very happy birds in that house. I wonder if we should go in there too sometime :lol:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice plants. Thanks for the videos. It wont be long until baby makes it up to the railing for some wing flapping. M&M are loving the your bird sounds.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a really bad update guys.

So the parents have been coming and going, all good.

But I noticed a strange almost wet patch. Upon closer inspection it was a cut. I saw white wet substance which I though was infection.

I have called sanctuary after sanctuary, organization after organization, the animal rights org for the whole of Spain, the police, no one will help us. Their response "it is just a pigeon".
My vet is on holiday.

My boyfriend had a friend suggest their vet, it is a hospital. I have never been there before. The vet felt so bad for us and the bird he said he would clean the wound for us.

I have packed the bird and driven here only 10 minutes away.
The receptionist came over, shoved papers in my face and said, we'll take the bird, just sign here and leave your number so we can inform you if he lives...(???!!!!)
I told her I want to take the bird home if possible because the parents are actively caring for this bird and have been on my balcony all day.
Remember they hadn't even seed the bird at this point.
I waited to see the vet.
I told him what happened and he looked. He took the bird into the back, cleaned him up and came back.
The white stuff I saw was food. The little one has a hole in his crop. It is a round hole and food is gushing out with a light press.

My options were ; Put him to sleep, or surgery requiring anaesthetic.

So, I'm waiting in the car. They said the surgery should take about 30 mins..... They have pushed him to the front of the queue because the parents are at my house waiting for him.

Let's all hope he pulls through....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor guy. I hope he'll be okay. And you're wonderful for helping him.