• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED HELP PLEASE, baby in my ¨garden¨

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I don’t have any advice but I’m hoping for the best!! :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Had a similar situation here. My next door neighbor had a dove build a nest in a flower pot on her balcony. She laid 2 eggs. She was a good Mom and Dad was close by also. One little one fledged but the second one which I assume was the second to hatch did not fledge for 2 more weeks. Little one crawled about on the balcony and would sit in various placed like a chair, table or under something. Mom did not come back but Dad kept a look out and brought food. Carefully I put a seed bowl on the balcony but the Dad ate most of it. # 2 eventually flew off balcony. Doves are great caregivers so I don't think you need to do much. The more you are involved the more scared the parents will get.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I actually saw the hen with another bird, so maybe that is the dad. I have kept my distance and observed from my couch. I put the food out when the hen wasn´t there.
I´m just worried about if the chick is hungry as they haven´t fed it whilst it has been here, but another concern is the proximity to my birds. I don´t know if I´m being paranoid, but it´s a wild bird.
I kept Lapis and Nubes cage in the nook today, usually I pull it forward so they can see outside.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You can try to feed the baby with formula. The same you had for your lovies. But that baby seems older so perhaps it can eat on his own too.
You can also place 2 bowls with wet and dry seed. And water of course. Seed is what they eat. Perhaps you have lentils, peas and mung beans at home? They eat any seed. Even sunflowers.

And don't worry if you feed the baby, the parents will come back anyway. Doves are sweet birds and feel really comfortable near humans. And they will never surrender their baby.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The palm tree in this video is where their nest was. I saw the hen try to go back but she can't even land up there any more.
How did her baby land on your balcony from a tree on the other side of the road?! :wideyed::wideyed:
I guess the hen is a little confused but these are not really "wild" birds, they are used to humans so hopefully she will be fine.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Its 9 pm and getting dark. I have a dish of veggies out but he wouldn´t eat those. I will soak some seeds and put some dry ones out. I have to go out for a while... I know I will worry over the little one! I hope he will just sleep.
I have formula but it is hookbill, I don´t think I can use it.
Thanks for your help @Eloy :)

How did her baby land on your balcony from a tree on the other side of the road?! :wideyed:
That is exactly what we were discussing in the video. My thoughts... he flapped his way over - the adrenaline made him flap hard and fast.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the baby will be okay and mom will get more comfortable about hanging around. Thanks for looking out for the wee one. I hate it when they top off trees like that. I have four big aspen trees in my front yard which are due to be lobbed off soon. The previous owners had planted them right under the power lines. I know they are a fire danger, but I think there is a way to prune so they don’t have to take everything off up there.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m home, he´s out there sleeping under the pepper plant. :)

. I hate it when they top off trees like that. I have four big aspen trees in my front yard which are due to be lobbed off soon.
The tree is still there, they aren´t cutting the down ,just removing the dead or dying leaves. But they destroy birds nests and don´t care. Same with the quaker nests - that´s how so many people here have them as pets, they find chicks and raise them. :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Well the baby is very close to flying I think, so the mom probably doesn't have to feed it too often. You gave it some food, right?

We have doves that nest in our yard often, and the little ones huddle on our porch or in the window sill. So cute. They must try to leave the nest before their time.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea @finchly I left crumbled dry bread, crumbled wet bread, seed, soaked seed, and veggies and pasta. The spare dish is out there with water.
We have doves that nest in our yard often, and the little ones huddle on our porch or in the window sill. So cute. They must try to leave the nest before their time.
Aww sounds cute :) , it would be better if I had a garden I would not mind at all. But it is just a balcony. This chick didn't leave the nest, the council workers came with chainsaws and cut it down whilst trimming the palm trees :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yea @finchly I left crumbled dry bread, crumbled wet bread, seed, soaked seed, and veggies and pasta. The spare dish is out there with water.
You left a feast!!!! In the morning you'll have 1,000 doves on your balcony!

This chick didn't leave the nest, the council workers came with chainsaws and cut it down whilst trimming the palm trees :(
Oh. :( Poor baby must be frightened. BUT he sure landed on the right balcony!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I didn't know what they would like to eat. I was hoping the mummy bird would eat some and regurgitate but she didn't. Eloy suggested soaked seeds, so I did those too. I just hope he eats something.
Yea, I'm also wondering why only one baby, how many is a usual clutch?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I didn't know what they would like to eat. I was hoping the mummy bird would eat some and regurgitate but she didn't. Eloy suggested soaked seeds, so I did those too. I just hope he eats something.
Yea, I'm also wondering why only one baby, how many is a usual clutch?

We have 2 pairs here and they seem to always have a clutch of 2.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I had pigeons roost in a mint plant on my balcony once, they only had the one chick but neither of the parents were afraid of me by the time the chick fledged. Pigeons and doves are very good parents, hopefully once the trauma of losing their nest passes they will be back to caring for their little chick ❤ I’m so glad he landed where he did! Smart chick!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a pigeon nest on my balcony this spring/summer. They laid two eggs but only one hatched. The parents will leave the chick for long periods of time by itself at this stage so I don't think you need to worry that a parent bird isn't constantly around. Just give it shade and water.

You must be careful not to encourage them. Their droppings can carry bacteria etc that can infect your birds. Once my guest fledged, I had to bang on the window every morning to shoo the family away and had to scrub my entire balcony down with F10. I literally had to chisel poo off the walls. Felt a bit bad about shooing them off but it's the only space that Leia has to go outside and, as a London pigeon, it has a wealth of places to go. Hopefully its found a nice statue somewhere to poo on.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
You are a good person Zara!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have has robins that come and make a nest in corner of the window. She has been to just about every window around here. Mom goes out at night to find food, I know that is true because it gets really quite BUT before the sun comes up you wont believe the racket, its like mom's home, time to eat. I have a fenced yard, one day I saw the babies fly off but one got stuck in the fence (chain link fence) Mom was watching so I gingerly walked to the fence, gave the baby a tap and off flew momma and the baby. Then mom came back and stayed on the fence like she was saying 'Thanks'