• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED HELP PLEASE, baby in my ¨garden¨

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Somebody I know found a baby blackbird with a fractured wing at the bottom of his garden. Fortunately in Sheffield there is an amazing woman who takes in injured rescued wild birds into her home and helps them return to the wild. She's amazing, but she's just one individual, not a professional rescue. She posts her rescues on Facebook if anybody wants to see some cute baby bird videos!

As depressing as it is that there are people not willing to help, its important to remember that there are also so many wonderful souls who are :heart:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I worked one Summer at a Wildlife Hospital in UK, there is nothing as rewarding as helping a little creature you don't have to help and see them returning to the wild when healed. :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She's amazing, but she's just one individual
What a wonderful woman!!

As depressing as it is that there are people not willing to help, its important to remember that there are also so many wonderful souls who are :heart:
Quite right. It´s hard to remember that whilst receiving so many ¨no¨s in a row. But it is true, there are so many good people out there. Reading others stories on this thread too is uplifting, regular people going out of their way to help animals they found.

I worked one Summer at a Wildlife Hospital in UK, there is nothing as rewarding as helping a little creature you don't have to help and see them returning to the wild when healed. :heart:
That´s lovely. I´m sure that was quite the experience working there!

I feel that we are obligated to help an injured animal or animal in need - they can´t always help themselves, but we can help them.

I remember when I was a little kid I went to see my great grandma and me and my big brother went out to play on the grass. We found a hedgehog out there. I told my mum and she called a charity who came, had a look and picked him up. Poor thing was starving :(

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That´s lovely. I´m sure that was quite the experience working there!

I feel that we are obligated to help an injured animal or animal in need - they can´t always help themselves, but we can help them.

I remember when I was a little kid I went to see my great grandma and me and my big brother went out to play on the grass. We found a hedgehog out there. I told my mum and she called a charity who came, had a look and picked him up. Poor thing was starving :(
It was the best Summer I ever had :) We had quite many hedgehogs so full of internal and external parasites that they couldn't breath properly or eat.

I wish there were more people thinking like you do. Many do react the way you encountered this time "it's just a pigeon, just a mouse, just a ...".
My son is exposed to that all the time from other kids who not only don't think it is important to help them, but also laugh at him because he cares and would even torment animals. Just yesterday he got a snap from a boy he considered his best friend. The snap was a video of this boy throwing a plastic bag in a lake and he thought it would be fun because he knew my son would be upset... :banghead:
And that boy is usually a decent guy, so I don't even want to think about what the others are doing.. :shifty:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He probably didn't even realise why your son would be upset, I just wish kids would learn more about animals and nature from schools and their parents.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
What an ordeal! But does give me some faith in humanity that some of us actually do care. Knowing Zara, I'm not surprised, but still. And I'm relieved it's a been a happy ending. In NYC people refer to the pigeons and doves as flying rats. Awful.

I've had two small mice in my apartment this week, both I caught alive and released. (Actually my cats cornered and stunned the poor things.) I know people say "well they're just going to come back in," but I just need to find where they're getting in and fix it. I bought some humane mouse traps and put those out. I get so worried about the Canada geese here. I know they're invasive, but they like to cross the road with their entire family of babies and asking cars to slow down and wait.... You know not everyone cares that they're living creatures. And asking people to wait 5 seconds!? When people complain about invasive species I always point out that humans are invasive species. :bored:

Edit to say : rant over! I know I'm in good company though ;)

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I am hoping he will be ok too!! I can´t imagine being him. Quite the ordeal, I´m sure :(

I´m still really sad about the rejection we received from the ¨animal loving¨ foundations etc. A life is a life is it not? :(

It annoys me more because I live in Malaga, the dove is very special here, apart from being the symbol of peace, it was the muse for many of Pablo Picassos creations. There is a large room dedicated to them in the museum.

I will have to rise early enough to give this tablet in the morning before hopefully the parents return. I´m a little worried about the pill but I will do it as he showed me with no hesitation :)
Didn't Picasso name his daughter Paloma? One of my tiels is also called Paloma though she's a feisty little Paloma if you will.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've had two small mice in my apartment this week, both I caught alive and released
When I was 17 working in Mcdonalds a mouse came in. We closed the store while I hunted the thing down, trapped it in container and took it out to the fields at the back. Everyone was terrified of the little guy, and a few of the guys just wanted to kill it to save time. I´m sure he lived a good life out in the field... as field mice are supposed to :)

Didn't Picasso name his daughter Paloma?
Yes, his second daughter :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
He probably didn't even realise why your son would be upset, I just wish kids would learn more about animals and nature from schools and their parents.
With a father educated as a biologist, and formerly employed in a kindergarten, one would expect some education around empathy and environment, but he doesn't see why it is important. He thinks HE is just one in a billion so his efforts won't make a difference, thus, makes no effort. That's what the guys in my son's class use as arguments to continue throw things out in nature, use cars, buy and throw.. as for birds or other animals, "they aren't self conscious so it doesn't matter if they die" What kind of a reasoning is that?? :bash:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When I was 17 working in Mcdonalds a mouse came in. We closed the store while I hunted the thing down, trapped it in container and took it out to the fields at the back. Everyone was terrified of the little guy, and a few of the guys just wanted to kill it to save time. I´m sure he lived a good life out in the field... as field mice are supposed to :)

Ever seen the movie Ratatouille?
:coffeescreen:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So the bird is learning some flight. I´m scared of him taking off before he´s ready.
He just flew and landed on top of my chairs!
IMG_20190824_175909.jpg

Last edited:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What an ordeal! But does give me some faith in humanity that some of us actually do care. Knowing Zara, I'm not surprised, but still. And I'm relieved it's a been a happy ending. In NYC people refer to the pigeons and doves as flying rats. Awful.

I've had two small mice in my apartment this week, both I caught alive and released. (Actually my cats cornered and stunned the poor things.) I know people say "well they're just going to come back in," but I just need to find where they're getting in and fix it. I bought some humane mouse traps and put those out. I get so worried about the Canada geese here. I know they're invasive, but they like to cross the road with their entire family of babies and asking cars to slow down and wait.... You know not everyone cares that they're living creatures. And asking people to wait 5 seconds!? When people complain about invasive species I always point out that humans are invasive species. :bored:

Edit to say : rant over! I know I'm in good company though ;)
About the Canada Geese - it warms my heart so much when I see people stopping to let geese cross the road. And ducks. And deer. There's a town close to where we live here, and they have a whole herd of deer that live right in the center of the town. You see them sometimes, grazing in front yards, chilling in the park with their fawns, crossing the street, and I love so much that the people (most of them) accommodate them and help them out when they need it. Great type of people in that town, overall. They once had a large buck wander into the FCC there :D Strolled right in through a couple doors; someone spotted him standing frozen in a corner of an office, if I remember correctly. They got him out safely; the poor guy was too confused to find his own way out. Makes me happy to see people living in harmony with wild animals, the way it's supposed to be.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They once had a large buck wander into the FCC there :D Strolled right in through a couple doors; someone spotted him standing frozen in a corner of an office
:shocked2: Whoa!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow I'd missed all this @Zara . What a ride! I'm so glad the baby is doing well.

People bring me wild/injured birds and bunnies. Fortunately I'm only one mile from a wildlife center, so I usually say take it to them and if they won't take it I will.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm so glad the baby is doing well
Me too, poor little thing.❤

Fortunately I'm only one mile from a wildlife center
We have places like that near us, I didn´t mind driving but they refused to take him or offer any advice. The were basically saying to just leave it and if it survives it survives, if not well it is what it is. Not even any initial advice over the phone was offered.

The worst thing is it has tainted how I think of many of these organisations and centres. I will always remember how they did not help this little dove and it almost makes me not want to support them. Which is a crying shame because I see all the work these places do plastered all over their facebooks and websites.

I have unfollowed and will non be supporting one ¨bird sanctuary¨ (and I use the term loosely), because I thought they were sketchy before, and their rejection made my mind up.

I have received way more help on this thread than all the phonecalls we made yesterday combined.