• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help holistically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Gizmo shoots straight water out of him. sometimes he has matter and sometimes it looks like normal bird poop. He has done hundreds of dollars of tests and everything is negative.
any thoughts on what I should give this CAG? I want to help him. I think my biggest concern is liver right now. He could have a heriditary desease.
tumeric??? how much and how can I give this to a bird who wont try new foods.
I will try apple cider vinager also, he is done with his Aloe detox and is well enough to reject it now after his two weeks.
Any holistic vets in the baltimore dc areea?

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
I would try milk thistle powder on food and some benebac avian probiotics:)
I'm no expert but we do use these at the clinic I work at, maybe you can ask your avian vet?
good luck:hug8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Love herb salad. Love it. PM me. I'll send you some.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
If he's been treated with stuff...whatever...how about waiting for a week to let his gut settle before you do anything else. Feed him a bland diet, cooked rice and vegies perhaps, then add some probiotics (according to the instructions) and give him more time. Clean his cage and toys scrupulously...and begin his normal diet. See how he goes. If the vets say nothing is wrong then give his little body a chance to beat this. Also can I respectfully suggest you keep calm..your stress is likely to affect him and this can cause watery stools. All the best.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Love herb salad. Love it. PM me. I'll send you some.
I hope that stuff is as good as it says it is, I'm getting a free sample from a website i placed an order at earlier today... the name i can't remember had something to do with finches in the site name though

but when you place a order you get to pick 2 free items, i chose the herb salad and the bee pollen since i've read nothing but good things about both

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Has Gizmo had swabs done as well?

When Tango did that he had a GI tract infection. When antibiotics didn't work, he was given OL-Immune (herbal immune booster) and apple cider vinegar.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
You might want to mix 1 tsp of cinnamon in with a quart of water...shake well to dissolve and use as the drinking water. Add probiotics on any foods he will eat. Hopefully within a day you should start to see improvements.

I am one that is not an advocate of AVC, simply because it changes the pH in the GI tract that can be problematic, and has to be followed up with a good probiotic to help balance out the intestinal flora.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
If he's been treated with stuff...whatever...how about waiting for a week to let his gut settle before you do anything else. Feed him a bland diet, cooked rice and vegies perhaps, then add some probiotics (according to the instructions) and give him more time. Clean his cage and toys scrupulously...and begin his normal diet. See how he goes. If the vets say nothing is wrong then give his little body a chance to beat this. Also can I respectfully suggest you keep calm..your stress is likely to affect him and this can cause watery stools. All the best.
Thank you, but he came to us with watery stools and he has a serious problem. He does have liver disease but has gained lots and lots of weight here. He is on antibiotics, but we know there is other tests we could do (liver biopsy) but have spent like 500 on him in a month and just don't have that kind of money to sink into a bird that keeps coming up negative.
Well, I do need to get probiotics, He is trying some new foods very slowly. He is coming around a bit. I gave him cambucha a couple times this week. It is suposed to help with cancers. I will probably make him sicker. I need to get some milk thistle powder. Do I get that at health food sotre or bird store?

did I miss anything?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Here is some things to give if there is liver problems or damage:

Under normal circumstances a bird mfg. and synthesizes vitamin C in the body. When it is sick the body’s ability to do this is hindered, thus supplementing is needed. This is especially so when you have suspected hepatic (liver) problems or damage. Vitamin C is a great supplement when sick and to aid the body when there are liver problems. A liver is regenerative, but it needs to be given the *tools* to help heal itself.

Some of the tools are: Vitamin C (while sick), lactulose, natural exposure to sunlight or full spectrum lighting close to the caging, and a changing of caging, such as a flight cage that encourages more movement and exercise, or some flight time daily. When there are liver problems the function of the liver is hindered. This also can effect vitamin A which is formed in the liver from beta‑carotene, thus supplementing of beta-carotene is needed. An increase of the water soluble nutrients to the body. Brewers Yeast is an excellent source for these.

Milk thistle can be given for liver problems. Dandelion can also be given to detoxify and act as a stimulant to the liver. 1 drop of each (in extract form) to each 1/2 ounce of lactulose (some info below) can be mixed up and the bird given a drop 2 times a day. These 2 herbal extracts can also be added to the drinking water at a ratio of 1 drop to 3 ounces of water, and changed 2 times a day.

I've found that everything has a cause and effect to other body functions in our feathered friends. To help them many times we have to get to the root of the problem. Such as why your bird does have liver problem. Also how does this effect the other organs, and go from there. Many times giving the body the needed supplements and nutritional support (tools) can do more healing than any medication.

Lactulose (Cephulac)

Lactulose acts as an osmosis "R" wordant to the absorption of potential toxins from the GI tract. Used as a treatment with liver disease to decrease the load of metabolites that must be processed through the liver. What this does is reduce toxic potential of the blood ammonia due to liver dysfunction.

It also acts as an appetite stimulant.

It acidifies the intestinal contents.

It is also be effective in establishing a gastrointestinal environment that favors the growth of intestinal flora. This eliminates the need for lactobacillus supplementing. Lactulose can be used daily for weeks. If diarrhea is noted reduce the dosage.

Status
Not open for further replies.