• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I need help fast

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
My female cockatiels nose is bleeding and has been all day. Is there anything I can do to help her? All the vet clinics near me are closed till monday (its saturday) and I dont know what to do. I've already tried to clean her off just to help her breath. Shes wobbling on the perch and sneezing a lot too.
I dont know how to help besides the vets but again... Not open until monday

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it coming from the inside or outside of her nose? Post pics, please.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she still bleeding? Are there any emergency vets in your area?

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
Is she still bleeding? Are there any emergency vets in your area?
She is still bleeding sometimes and none of them will accept birds. Theres only two in my area that allow bird visits. She seems to be doing okay, she even hung upside down and flapped her wings like she does to stretch them. Shes been moving around and eating and drinking fine

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
Her nose its self isnt swollen nor does it look bruised. Its slightly off color from the dried blood but she isnt losing her balance or anything. Shes still begging for kisses (We arent giving them until we know its not a sinus infection) But I doubt it is since her cage mate shows no signs of being sick at all. I moved him to a different cage as soon as I noticed the blood

Attachments

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has she crashed recently?

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
I also cant tell if its from above her nose because theres blood above it, or if its from inside, since above her nose would also make it look the same.

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
Has she crashed recently?
No not that I know of. If she has then it was in the cage while I was sleeping. We think maybe while breeding they took a dive because they tend to like the highest perch and always fall down

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A minor injury seems the most likely. Have there been like drops of blood or is it just what I can see on her in the pic?

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
A minor injury seems the most likely. Have there been like drops of blood or is it just what I can see on her in the pic?
She had one drop on her chest and a tiny bit of her feet but I gave her a bath. Her whole beak was covered this morning and its bled three separate times

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess if you can't identify an injury, then I would just try to keep her quiet and calm until she can see the vet.

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
I guess if you can't identify an injury, then I would just try to keep her quiet and calm until she can see the vet.
Thats what we've been doing. I have some vitamin drops I put in her water and shes been drinking fine. So hopefully it'll help her body stay on travt and heal whatever it was that made this happen. She seems completely fine other than the bleeding. Shes sneezing a tiny bit but I figure thats more from dried blood agitating her nose than not.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it possible her cage mate injured her?

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
No not purposefully. They never get aggressive like that. Even when fighting over food its only hissing and flailing, never do they actually bite. I think she might of fallen down when breeding, I just noticed the end of her beak is chipped but the bleeding has stopped and shes still doing fine!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that she is doing OK today!

Frognbird

Moving in
Real Name
Laura
She seems to of fully recovered now. The source appears to be head force trauma, most likely from their breeding. Both birds are going to remain separated (they arent pair bonded and dont mind as long as they know the other isnt completely gone)
I'm glad she doesnt seem to have anything seriously bad. It scared me not being able to take her to the vets, but I'm thankful shes okay without the expenses of a check-up. If it happens again with-out her cage mate then I'll for sure send her to the vets straight away!