• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need camara advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK, this board has caused it to come to my attention that I NEED a camara! Gary has one, but it takes forever to take a pic with all of the settings, lighting, etc. I want one that is small, does well with motion and clarity and I can get a pic of my birds in flight or just having tons of fun. Any suggestions?

hsmoscout

Well, it really depends on your budget. I can probably help a little, but Blazeybird knows way more than me...

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, it really depends on your budget. I can probably help a little, but Blazeybird knows way more than me...
Thanks for your quick reply, I am interested in knowing what are the best options and then I will worry about the budget after I find out what will work for what I need. You all take pics of birds so you know what it takes....clear, quick, action shots.

ThatDarnBird

Which one does Gary have? Just so we know what level of complication you don't want. :) My old camera is a Kodak ezshare, like this, it's been upgraded several times since I got it. I took some great pictures with that camera and it was pretty simple. Motion and lighting are always going to be tricky when taking pics indoors.

edit: All the major brands make this level camera, it's a matter of which one feels right to you.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Which one does Gary have? Just so we know what level of complication you don't want. :) My old camera is a Kodak ezshare, like this, it's been upgraded several times since I got it. I took some great pictures with that camera and it was pretty simple. Motion and lighting are always going to be tricky when taking pics indoors.

edit: All the major brands make this level camera, it's a matter of which one feels right to you.
He has a Nikon D200. A light weight camera is what I looking for, large lenses make it too heavy for me.

hsmoscout

Well any DSLR camera can have heavy lenses, as they are a totally separate subject than the camera. If you don't want to get a DSLR, a good point and shoot that takes good, easy, quick action shots would be a Canon Powershot SX10 or SX20

ThatDarnBird

I think either camera mentioned would suit your purpose, Nikon and Sony have the same level too. I would go down to the store and hold them to see how they feel to you.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
mine is Bulky and has a lot of settings but honestly I barely ever get off the AUTO mode LOL

but if you want to look into it its a Canon Power Shot S5 IS

about my only complaint is it is bulky, but I upgraded from a Vivitar Vivicam 5100 - it fit in my front pocket of my blue jeans

but took crappy pics inside and decent ones outside if what I was taking a pic of wasn't too far away

but all in all I love it , no real complaints other then its bulky and a Major boo boo I CAUSED by not knowing the time on it was in Military time - I was told to remove the clock battery and put it right back well when i went to put it back the pins or what ever hold it were screwed up and now its REALLY screwed up and every time I turn it on I have to hit menu to exit out of the option to fix the time/date( it doesn't stay any more because the battery isn't getting full contact any more)

hsmoscout

about my only complaint is it is bulky
Yes, but your camera actually uses all that space. My camera is from '04 and slmost as bulky as yours, but it is a VERY basic camera. Now you can buy cameras with the same features and quality as mine that are less than half an inch thick :omg:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Yes, but your camera actually uses all that space. My camera is from '04 and slmost as bulky as yours, but it is a VERY basic camera. Now you can buy cameras with the same features and quality as mine that are less than half an inch thick :omg:

oh now something that small in my possession would last about 20 minutes if it was lucky ! LOL

I am very proud to say come June 2010 I will have had this camera for 2 years and Have not YET dropped it

now the one I had before it got dropped a lot BUT kept on working LOL

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, yes, I need it durable too. I will use it inside more since our FIDS are flighted and the aviary won't be built until next year.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I use a Nikon D90 DSLR. While I have not tried every small camera our there every one that I HAVE tried, no matter how expensive, suffers from shutter lag. It drives me nuts to miss a shot because I am waiting for the camera to fire.

DSLR's are bigger but they can be as simple to operate as a point and shoot. There is virtually no shutter lag. Unless you were to get a ruggedized camera I think a DSLR is as durable if not more durable than most point and shoots.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is a very good site to get the real poop on any camera your interested in. These reviewers are not biased and do a very complete review.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/

I have a Canon SD780is. It takes great pictures. Has very good image stabilization and accurate color. It also takes video in Hi Definition (720p) and is the size of a credit card only thicker. Best camera I've used in a while and I've used lots of them. Under $300.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
This is a very good site to get the real poop on any camera your interested in. These reviewers are not biased and do a very complete review.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/

I have a Canon SD780is. It takes great pictures. Has very good image stabilization and accurate color. It also takes video in Hi Definition (720p) and is the size of a credit card only thicker. Best camera I've used in a while and I've used lots of them. Under $300.
thanks for the link John

almost wish I had looked :D just bought a new camera this year and it didn't take long to start a wish list LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.