• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED CAGE OPINIONS!!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I love the size. What's going on down at the bottom?

If it was my cage, I'd probably remove some or all of the dowels, replace with natural wood perches and remove the nestbox. And I'd plan on rotating in new toys every month or so to spice things up.

And knowing me, I'd probably add a few additional feeding stations. And more budgies ... :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awesome cage size!!

My thoughts/opinions after a quick look…

Too many dowels, no natural perches?
Nest box- not good or needed, you’re just asking for trouble providing it.
What are the colour beads made from? Plastic or wood? I’ve noticed many of the toys with colour beads similar to the ones you have are not safe as they’re painted beads not dyed- worth double checking.
I think the clips you’re hanging your stuff with a a hazard- I always remove those and use safer clips.

Your bird may also like some things to shred- I don’t see many toys that chewable or toys that are what budgies love.
Also check your budgie can access the bells (check also that the bells you have are safe) that are hanging- they love to bash them about and wear them like face masks/hats.

Edit: you may find that covering the bottom of your cage with white paper will make clean up faster and easier and will also give you better chances to properly monitor your budgies droppings.

Last edited:

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
ok, i dont have any other stuff, mom thinks its unneccisary, but thank you, i read the post to her lol she doesnt know what to think about that XD. i am gonna ge tsome more stuff on my birthday so i will update after then. Bluberry is not interested in the toys, i found her outside, caught her in that nesting box, so i jsut brought it along with

Last edited by a moderator:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
In addition to the advice that's already been offered, I'd consider adding something like a boing or rope that would facilitate vertical climbing movement, between lower and upper levels.

Possibly the best thing to do at this stage is to observe how Bluberry interacts with the current environment, and use that information to make adjustments.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
i have a mirror, all she does is sit on that rope perch, but she doesnt look in the mirror much, i thought that birds liked mirrors lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My budgie is also not interested in toys like that! There’s nothing to chew- they love balsa and other things to chew up like mahogany and paper… check out Mizzelys store and you might get a better idea of budgie appropriate and fun toys.
Mirrors can cause problems so many here won’t provide them and will encourage everyone to remove them.
You really do want to get some decent natural perches before your bird gets bumble foot.
You can make many safe budgie toys yourself- check out the DIY threads.

If you found this bird outside I feel I need to ask if you made reasonable efforts to find it’s real owner, I would hate to think there is someone out there missing and looking for their beloved bird. I know I’d be a certifiable mental mess if my boys were missing, I’d never stop searching for them!

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
Trust me this bird is in a loving family, owned by someone who was begging their heart out for more than 3 years for a bird! we put a post out, all we got was "what a cute bird!"

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Destiny just some wood for climbing, mom insisted...
You need to double check that any wood you supply is bird safe wood and you also need to make sure it’s free from pesticides.
Do you know exactly where that wood at the bottom of your cage came from?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your cage would be easily cleaned if you put the grate inside the cage with layers of newspaper on top of the grate. That way all you have to do is pull out the top layer of paper. Like it is now there is seed everywhere. When you have a flat top cage you can utilize the cage top and make a play/foraging area. Think out of the box.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
the wood on the toys also looks painted which could be toxic, remove the mirror and net it causes behavioral and hormonal problems, remove the random wood unless you know for sure the wood is safe, pesticide free, and has been cleaned properly through bleaching, washing, baking, and drying. Remove the dowel perches, they're bad for her feet, and what type of a diet is she on currently?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I think it’s great you’re willing to learn!
I personally like natural looking toys best. My budgies’ personal favourite things are paper, Seagrass, balsa, cardboards, mahogany, finger traps, leaves and flowers. For beads I like using hard plastic ones.
As everyone else has said removing some of the dowels and replacing them with natural wood ones is an important thing to do.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies like stainless steel toys & anything with beads to move. :)