• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need advice...

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I am travelling to Virginia with my fids for a week for the holidays.
I have NEVER travelled with my birds without them being clipped. But both of them have their wings right now and are so happy I just... don't want to do it this time.

How the heck do I check on them and make sure they are fully secured with the travel cages I have? Gose in particular is a little daredevil and jumps through my hands out the door for a whirlwind of flying.

Eighteen hours... two birds... and travel cages... which aren't very big to begin with but its just a week they will survive.
(Not much space at my inlaws and other animals... these are the most secure cages I own. YES they will be a room locked away from the other animals. I wouldn't be doing this if I could have found a sitter, but the neighbor that usually does it is away for the holiday as well. You have no idea how hard it is to find a LIZARD sitter, but I found one, provided I take her to my friends house.

Blah. This is a mess.
I refuse to clip again. REFUSE.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
... A side note, the room is fully bird safe and they will have a playstand to play on, so they will get as much out of cage time as I can give them.
I wish I could do better but its not in the budget to buy new travel cages right now, I RARELY take them anywhere for this long, its been about five years and I've not had any time to think about getting them as this was a last minute plan e.e.

I feel bad in many many ways at this point.

Attachments

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also lay a towel over the top, sides & back of the travel cages. Try to position them on the back seat so they can see forward, out the door, & see you as well. Find something to clip, secure the door, so they can't open it. Everything you have inside the cages should be secured, so it doesn't fly around, should you need to hit the brakes quick. You can give them a slice of orange to nibble on. While traveling thru the warmer states crack the window to let in fresh air. Lock your car when you get out at every stop. Do NOT open the cages until you reach your destination & have them in a secure room. Leave them in the travel cages for a bit, so they can get their bearings & see their new environment. They will be fine for the trip. Every state as laws on transporting parrots across state lines, so don't let anyone you come in contact with know you have parrots in the car. Take extra towels along, so you have them in case you need them.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also suggest you put them in their travel cages for night, so they can't go flapping around the room if they get scared in the dark.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I remember that anxiety when I was getting ready for my road trip with my budgies! I'm sorry you are going through this...it's tough when you feel you have no choice! It was two days of driving each way for me, too, and stopping at a hotel the first night of the drive had its own issues. I was glad I brought the air filtration unit with me for the room to provide white noise and general hotel mustiness. My birds really came through the whole thing like champs! Breathe!! It will be OK.