• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need advice

kai k

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kai Krestchmer
Hi, my name is kai I'm kinda new to the whole owning my own parrot thing. I have always wanted a parrot (specifically an Amazon) about a month ago I was browsing craigslist and I saw a person sell/rehoming a 17-year-old Amazon that looked a little on the rough and when I was chatting with the women it sounded like she didn't know what she was doing. I decided to take it upon my self to give this bird a better home so I set up a meet and took him home and then to the vet the next day he was pretty sick and wasn't 17 but around 40 and was wild caught and I was a little shocked and scared but I'm willing to help him back to health and make him a good bird he is very scared whenever my hand goes near him if doesn't have a treat in it and he gets really scared if I get close and sit near his cage and he makes very little noise for the one month I've had him. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do or any techniques to use because it seems like everyone else bird is willing to work with them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for helping this bird. So, health wise is he better now? What is his diet like? I think it sounds like what you're doing is right. You just need to take things at his pace. I would continue to spend time sitting with him and talking to him. I used to even sit and read out loud to my cockatiel. It's a way of letting them get used to you and your voice in a non-threatening way.

@Fuzzy ? @Hawk12237 ?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Welccome! You've come to the right place. Lots of people here will help you. Just remember that a bird's pace is way different from "our" pace. Especially since yours is wild caught. Spend like 30 days sitting and reading, talking or singing --don't stare at him while doing it (that's why reading is good). You'll be amazed how much calmer he'll be just from getting to know you like that.

I'm going to defer to the experts on Amazons. I only have littles.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Kai :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi, my name is kai I'm kinda new to the whole owning my own parrot thing. I have always wanted a parrot (specifically an Amazon) about a month ago I was browsing craigslist and I saw a person sell/rehoming a 17-year-old Amazon that looked a little on the rough and when I was chatting with the women it sounded like she didn't know what she was doing. I decided to take it upon my self to give this bird a better home so I set up a meet and took him home and then to the vet the next day he was pretty sick and wasn't 17 but around 40 and was wild caught and I was a little shocked and scared but I'm willing to help him back to health and make him a good bird he is very scared whenever my hand goes near him if doesn't have a treat in it and he gets really scared if I get close and sit near his cage and he makes very little noise for the one month I've had him. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do or any techniques to use because it seems like everyone else bird is willing to work with them.
Hello Kia, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new Amazon and thank you for rescuing and taking him in and having him vet checked. All of us on here will help with any questions you may have to the best of our knowledge as we have very talented and experienced bird owners here. We also have top notch vendors for bird toys and accessories on here that will offer advice on toys and food.
That said, let's get started.
First of all, if you don't mind me asking, what type of Amazon do you have? And where exactly are you located? ( state or country).
An Amazon, especially an older one, may take some time to start trusting, and coming out of shell. Mine took nearly 7-9 months before it settled in and develops a deep trust and bond.
Don't let that scare you, every bird is different and has their own personality. To them, your a new bird in a flock, and that can be scary. I don't know that birds history, but birds understand former flock, be it other former family or other birds as their flock. Now they are in a new environment, and have to develop towards a new flock. Don't be alarmed, they adapt. But takes time, and patience. Amazon's are very inquisitive parrots, they prefer to watch and study before getting involved, testing the waters a bit more slowly at their pace. So talking and sitting with cage door open, ( and I say open because your showing the bird it's ok to come out and explore, and that they are not trapped.) Don't be alarmed if they don't come out... That might take a couple weeks, to a couple months. But they will explore. Step by step trust, it's never rushed, it's earned on their terms. Always remember that. That In my opinion is what builds a true loving bond.
Now about age and wild caught. Age isn't always a factor, they'll have their old habits im sure, you will just have to be open minded about that and keep a log diary or mental notes about likes and dislikes. Can habits that were bad be broken? Ehhh, sometimes, depends on how much and how patient you are about it. But in general, yea they Can be broken. Remember though, they watch you, study you, your the example of the flock. Don't be afraid to be silly and act like the bird. They actually like and feel comfortable when you do that. But watch their body language, sometime if you get carried away they won't understand the the nature of what your doing....for example, dancing my amazon will go in defence mode thinking something is wrong with the mate( me) and want it to stop.
Does that make sense?
Now to health...what exactly did the vet describe? What was the definition of sick in the vets terms? I ask this because of age. Long term sickness can sometimes be irreversable.
That depends solely on what type of care it had in past, I can't offer up any medical health advice not knowing what's wrong or how long it's been going on.
However getting started on a good diet is always beneficial. Amazon's love their fruit mix.
Fresh Papaya, mango, pineapple, apples, pears, walnuts ( unsalted) bananas. Mix and match, a little here and there through out the day, I find they will eat them if there is a little verses a giant bowl full. Again, be sure to check out the vendors here, they have well balanced mix for your bird and will offer their recommendation as well.
Don't be discouraged by bird not working with you, good things come to those that wait and are patent. I will leave you with this for now, if you have any questions you can message me or reach out to Many members here who are more than willing to guide you, answer questions and offer good advice.
Again welcome and thank you for taking in bird...picture of your bird would be awesome!:dance4:

Last edited:

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
This is Charlie a yellow nape Amazon we got at a hoarder that said she was a rescue. From the looks of him our avian vet guessed he was pretty old. he was in a room with the windows covered with newspapers, no air cleaner, his bowl full of sunflower seeds. One of his eyes was almost all white and all his toes on the front of his feet where gone. The cage he was in was very tall but really narrow. By looking at him I knew he had a lot of medical issues but wanted to help him. She said he kept falling off his perch and said he had seizures. She said the only way to feed him was to hold him back with a stick so you wouldnt get bit. We got him to our avian vet and had x-rays, profile, gram stain ect. He was put on an antibotic treatment and had to have a toe in the back amputated that had been bitten but didnt heal because it was left untreated. Every 2 months he was rechecked and after about 6 months he seemed to be doing better. Our vet said his eye was white from what she thought was some kind of trama. He'd been thru a lot and after a year he came to me when he was ready. We lost him 2 years later but I'd like to think we gave him a chance he might not ever of had. I didnt push him at all he made the choice to come to me.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
For starters...your picture didn't post.....
Help me out here...are talking about same bird???
Because you originally posted that you just got this amazon, then in next post state he died 2 years ago or so.
Forgive me but I'm a bit confused here. Can you clarify, in both posts you said it was an old bird which has me thinking same bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
For starters...your picture didn't post.....
Help me out here...are talking about same bird???
Because you originally posted that you just got this amazon, then in next post state he died 2 years ago or so.
Forgive me but I'm a bit confused here. Can you clarify, in both posts you said it was an old bird which has me thinking same bird.
I think it's two different posters. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This is Charlie a yellow nape Amazon we got at a hoarder that said she was a rescue. From the looks of him our avian vet guessed he was pretty old. he was in a room with the windows covered with newspapers, no air cleaner, his bowl full of sunflower seeds. One of his eyes was almost all white and all his toes on the front of his feet where gone. The cage he was in was very tall but really narrow. By looking at him I knew he had a lot of medical issues but wanted to help him. She said he kept falling off his perch and said he had seizures. She said the only way to feed him was to hold him back with a stick so you wouldnt get bit. We got him to our avian vet and had x-rays, profile, gram stain ect. He was put on an antibotic treatment and had to have a toe in the back amputated that had been bitten but didnt heal because it was left untreated. Every 2 months he was rechecked and after about 6 months he seemed to be doing better. Our vet said his eye was white from what she thought was some kind of trama. He'd been thru a lot and after a year he came to me when he was ready. We lost him 2 years later but I'd like to think we gave him a chance he might not ever of had. I didnt push him at all he made the choice to come to me.
It was good of you to help this bird. I'm sure he appreciated that his last years were happy.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It was good of you to help this bird. I'm sure he appreciated that his last years were happy.
So glad you helped that bird, had an African grey
That went through similar...I took him in and gave him a happy life for what little he had left. Had a mesirable life prior to me rescuing him. Was badly messed up. But ever so loving and sweet.
If all the birds I've had, and I've had 39 in my home, he's the hardest to get over.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Yes two different post. I'm still working on how to post pictures, I'm sure I'll get it right someday:)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for helping this bird and welcome to AA! I believe with a lot of time and patience your bird will learn to trust you and your relationship will grow. It takes a special someone to be able to give this bird what he needs, and it sounds like your headed in the right direction since you already have taken him to the vet and have now joined this forum!:heart:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes two different post. I'm still working on how to post pictures, I'm sure I'll get it right someday:)
I apologize for the mix up....my bad, stressful day today, closing on house we want then find out the well collapsed and we withdrew our offer until they investigate and fix or we cancel all together....man the phone calls !!
Anyway.... What are you using to up load pictures with?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A beautiful photo to remember him by ❤❤

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Yes it is a very special picture of him. It was the first time he walked over to me and wanted to step up:heart:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
What a nice picture. Your story reminds me of sparky, an African grey timnah I had. He was severely abused. The story behind it was the original couple had a baby, the bird apparently bit the baby some how, and he was taken and shoved in basement. Fed bread and parakeet seeds! For nearly 10 years. When I got him his beak was severely crooked, feet messed up, wing deformed, couldn't walk properly, and definitely couldn't fly. If he stumbled he'd end up on his back and couldn't right himself. I had to always help him. He had to be fed several times a day from spoon because of his beak. He was my handicapped bird. But loved the heck out of him. He was in 50's, and passed away around Christmas this past year. I gave him a couple good years, but vet said there was nothing they could do, it was a matter of time because of his past diet and abuse from previous owner. These pictures are the last few nights he was alive.feeding sparky, next pic is sparky, poppers and greyson.
IMG_20170526_100427.jpg IMG_20180312_204623.jpg

Last edited: