• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need advice for my Quaker Parrot!

Me&MyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Lorael Brideau
Okay so I have a baby Quaker 3 months old (20 weeks old) and I've had him for maybe a little over a month now and I was wondering how long it takes them to get used to their owners?
He's very skittish and doesn't let my hands by him, he won't step up unless I have a treat and it's a wood dowel and I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong.
I was wondering if someone could give me some training tips and things I should start doing (I mean any tips really like, Relationship tips for my bird and me, Training tips, etc) Or any other advice please help!!
More information:
He always screams and he tries to bite me.
I got him on Thursday, December 9th and he was good but loud and wouldn't let me go near his cage (which I was expecting) but this is one month mark with him and he lets me hand feed him spray millet, lets me change his food, water, etc, and he lets me go near his cage, and more. I just wanted to see if anyone knew what to do or expect I want to try teaching him to step up onto my finger but I don't know how or when the right time is, I tried to let him out of his cage for a little bit (I used his wooden dowel to get him out which worked but he tried to go back to his perch) I just don't know what to do and when to do it so can someone please let me know because I love him so much and just wants to do what's best for him. (I also got him from a professional breeder, and he was hand tamed and hand fed and weaned onto Zupreem Seeds but I weaned him off those and he's now on Tropican Pellets.)

Tips? Advice? Anything?

It would be greatly appreciated since I'm a beginner bird owner. (but I’ve had some past experience just not my own)

Thank you!

IMG_20211217_094345.jpg IMG_20220109_111840.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It takes longer than a few months to get birds to warm up. I don't have a quaker (though there's a lovely one - not for sale - at a pet store I frequent). You might get more answers in the behaviour section as what works for one species frequently works for another.

@Wardy @flyzipper @Nnbal all have medium - large parrots, though they aren't quakers. Perhaps they can help.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two conures and followed the same routine with them both.
Just getting used to me by me sitting with them a chatting to them.
Then i started feeding millet through the cage, i then moved onto target training targetting them around the cage.
I then worked on stepping up onto a perch and then my finger.
I took this approach with both birds Mojo was stepping up within a month for me and soon after for my wife accepting scritches and she will happily snuggle into my hand and sleep.
KiKi took maybe 3 months to step up for me and will only step up if a treat is offered.
KiKi will land on me sit on my leg for long periods of time however doesnt like hands.
So each bird will be different.

Me&MyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Lorael Brideau
I have two conures and followed the same routine with them both.
Just getting used to me by me sitting with them a chatting to them.
Then i started feeding millet through the cage, i then moved onto target training targetting them around the cage.
I then worked on stepping up onto a perch and then my finger.
I took this approach with both birds Mojo was stepping up within a month for me and soon after for my wife accepting scritches and she will happily snuggle into my hand and sleep.
KiKi took maybe 3 months to step up for me and will only step up if a treat is offered.
KiKi will land on me sit on my leg for long periods of time however doesnt like hands.
So each bird will be different.
Thank you!

ems08

Walking the driveway
I am by no means and expert on Quaker behavior, since I've only had my boy since August, but he was a similar age to your baby when I brought him home. For context, Riley was parent raised for the first 4 weeks and then hand fed by the breeder with his nine (!!) siblings. He came home with me at 12 weeks old eating pellets as well as having been introduced to a handful of fruits and veggies. He also had solid flight skills and no fear of people or hands. He barely vocalized for the first few weeks but he had no problem flying around and learning our house, sitting on me, getting head scratches etc. His perching, gripping, and climbing skills were rocky so it also took a few weeks for him to confidently move around his cage and to learn step up.

So from my experience it surprises me a little bit how bitey and fearful your bird sounds. That said my mom is less experienced with birds and Riley is much more bitey with her than me, so my guess is your baby might be taking advantage of your lack of confidence a bit.

Quakers are incredibly smart, so if he has worked out that biting you means he gets what he wants (back in his cage or for you to move your hands away for example) he's now going to use that to his advantage. All you can do is take baby steps and earn his trust. You have to respect his boundaries and wants and through training you can re-enforce that being with you is a positive experience. And hands== food is better thab hands == scary!! Slow and steady, starting with just talking to him and the progressing to step up with the dowel before you get to step up on your hands.

Riley loves safflower seeds as a reward, so I only use those as a training tool. As much as possible reward good behaviors and prevent bad behaviors. So if he bites your finger, keep using the dowel to train step up. Whenever he follows the command to step up on to the dowel, give him a treat and lots of praise. Using that approach I've taught Riley to step up, spin, come here, go to his cage, and play peekaboo. You could also look into clicker training and see if that works for you and your birdy.

I have also found that the more I wear Riley out by instigating lots of flying, doing several training sessions or giving him a new/exciting toy to destroy, the better his beahvior is. Have you figured out what your baby likes to play with? Riley loves to destroy things, so I highly recommend some simple balsa blocks (1in cubes) to see of that's a hit before you try to offer bigger/harder pieces of wood. Clean cardboard and paper are also good for shredding-- you can check out the DIY section of the toy forum section here for more fun ideas! He also loves throwing things on the floor so if I give him a bowl of foot toys in the bottom of his cage he will gradually take them out, carry them up to a perch, play with it for a minute and then drop it, just so he can do it all over again. The more you can stimulate and entertain him, the better his behavior will be.

Have you talked to the breeder you got him from or done a vet check up? It's always a good idea with a new bird, whether its a baby or not to do a vet check. And they (or the breeder) may be able to help answer your questions as well.

Me&MyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Lorael Brideau
I am by no means and expert on Quaker behavior, since I've only had my boy since August, but he was a similar age to your baby when I brought him home. For context, Riley was parent raised for the first 4 weeks and then hand fed by the breeder with his nine (!!) siblings. He came home with me at 12 weeks old eating pellets as well as having been introduced to a handful of fruits and veggies. He also had solid flight skills and no fear of people or hands. He barely vocalized for the first few weeks but he had no problem flying around and learning our house, sitting on me, getting head scratches etc. His perching, gripping, and climbing skills were rocky so it also took a few weeks for him to confidently move around his cage and to learn step up.

So from my experience it surprises me a little bit how bitey and fearful your bird sounds. That said my mom is less experienced with birds and Riley is much more bitey with her than me, so my guess is your baby might be taking advantage of your lack of confidence a bit.

Quakers are incredibly smart, so if he has worked out that biting you means he gets what he wants (back in his cage or for you to move your hands away for example) he's now going to use that to his advantage. All you can do is take baby steps and earn his trust. You have to respect his boundaries and wants and through training you can re-enforce that being with you is a positive experience. And hands== food is better thab hands == scary!! Slow and steady, starting with just talking to him and the progressing to step up with the dowel before you get to step up on your hands.

Riley loves safflower seeds as a reward, so I only use those as a training tool. As much as possible reward good behaviors and prevent bad behaviors. So if he bites your finger, keep using the dowel to train step up. Whenever he follows the command to step up on to the dowel, give him a treat and lots of praise. Using that approach I've taught Riley to step up, spin, come here, go to his cage, and play peekaboo. You could also look into clicker training and see if that works for you and your birdy.

I have also found that the more I wear Riley out by instigating lots of flying, doing several training sessions or giving him a new/exciting toy to destroy, the better his beahvior is. Have you figured out what your baby likes to play with? Riley loves to destroy things, so I highly recommend some simple balsa blocks (1in cubes) to see of that's a hit before you try to offer bigger/harder pieces of wood. Clean cardboard and paper are also good for shredding-- you can check out the DIY section of the toy forum section here for more fun ideas! He also loves throwing things on the floor so if I give him a bowl of foot toys in the bottom of his cage he will gradually take them out, carry them up to a perch, play with it for a minute and then drop it, just so he can do it all over again. The more you can stimulate and entertain him, the better his behavior will be.

Have you talked to the breeder you got him from or done a vet check up? It's always a good idea with a new bird, whether its a baby or not to do a vet check. And they (or the breeder) may be able to help answer your questions as well.
Thank you soooo much!! I will try to do what you said!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
long it takes them to get used to their owners?
... I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong.
... wouldn't let me go near his cage (which I was expecting)
... just wants to do what's best for him.
I'd say you're on the right track with your attitude -- which forms a solid foundation for everything else. :)

Your little guy will be comfortable interacting with you when he trusts you, and to earn our birds' trust, we have to be trustworthy.

Being trustworthy means learning our body language and respecting it, establishing a reliable routine, giving them choices and using that opportunity to learn what they like and dislike, when training (... and everything is training) -- letting them decide to do a behaviour rather than forcing it, moving one step at a time, building on each past success, and moving at their pace, not the one established by our expectations.

Ask lots of questions, as general or as specific as needed, and you'll probably find some excellent answers.

There's lots to learn by following the forums and its discissions.

What's your little guy's name?

Me&MyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Lorael Brideau
I'd say you're on the right track with your attitude -- which forms a solid foundation for everything else. :)

Your little guy will be comfortable interacting with you when he trusts you, and to earn our birds' trust, we have to be trustworthy.

Being trustworthy means learning our body language and respecting it, establishing a reliable routine, giving them choices and using that opportunity to learn what they like and dislike, when training (... and everything is training) -- letting them decide to do a behaviour rather than forcing it, moving one step at a time, building on each past success, and moving at their pace, not the one established by our expectations.

Ask lots of questions, as general or as specific as needed, and you'll probably find some excellent answers.

There's lots to learn by following the forums and its discissions.

What's your little guy's name?
His name is Hulk

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Cool name! I haven't chosen a name for my boy yet. He is just slightly younger than yours and i have given him some comfort feedings (formula). I'm brand new to Quakers too (brought him home 2 days ago). My 5-month old tiel is skittish and won't accept treats. But i will just keep being calm and move slowly and chat or sing to him. Perhaps you could try reading or singing to him. I'm very sorry to hear he hasn't warmed to you yet. My Quaker boy is very personable and loves to hang out with me. The last few evenings he falls asleep on my lap while i stroke his head. I am sure you are doing your best, I hope you can work it out. Sorry I can't be more help.:sad4: I'll let you know if anything works with my tiel...

Last edited:

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
I know whenever I add a new bird to my flock, I always give them lots of time and patience!
Definitely save the highly valued treats for interacting with you. Try to keep him or her in a less busy area and speak quietly and softly. Sometimes I just sit with the door open, no pressure from me with reaching in and trying to take the bird out.

Looking forward to seeing your little one progress