• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I need advice asap

doucmates

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cisem Isikoglu
After months of searching and contacting lots of vets near the area I thought I finally found an avian vet but I was wrong. My cockatiel had constant yawning, sneezing and clicky breathing and nothing else. I went to the appointment and he checked her poop under a microscope and done x-rays to check if anything was wrong. Her poop had a single undigested seed (which might be because of the brand of food I was using, it has caused the same issue when I was using the same brand a couple months back.) which was weird (All the other poops she pooped earlier today looked healthy) and it had a yellow liquid surrending it. She didn't drink any water 1-1.5 hours before the appointment, her poops are normal now after she had some water. So I think it was just dehydration. There was no fungal infection signs or anything that she'd need antibiotics for in the poop. He gave me something in powder form that'd help her kidneys and liver but it wasn't a medicine. He told me what was in it but I can't remember the name right now because I am stressed and the clinic is closed so I can't contact them right now. So while I was there he said her problem might be air sac mites and added some liquid to help into an essential oil mixture (lavender, tea tree oil, cinnamon) I knew they were toxic and asked if it'd do any harm and he said it's a product that was made for birds so no. In that moment I was so tired and nervous and didn't question anything, he showed me how to use it there and put a single drop on the back of her head. He told me to use it 2 times a week for 2 weeks and once after that.
After I got home I looked on the forums again to see if it really is toxic and kill her and yes unfortunately it was. I won't keep using this oil and the powdery mix. I tried to clean the oil as much as I can with warm water its a little better now but her feathers were stuck together in this small area and and couldn't remove it all. She seems active, eating and drinking fine and has no other symptoms added to the clicky breathing which is still present. Just because it was dropped directly onto the skin I am extremely nervous that something bad will happen till next morning. I can't find any information on the box about if the oils are diluted or not. How can I understand if this one drop of oil effected her badly? Just like I said in the beginning I've been searching for an avian vet for months and there was none except this one anywhere near 50km area. There's no emergency vet open which accepts birds and they wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. Vets near me don't even have an oxygen chamber. What are the symptoms I should look for? Would this small amount of oil be deadly? What can I do in case of anything bad happening? He also gave some vitamin drops and powder probiotic which I probably keep using. After all this effort, money and time I spent the stress she's been through, if she gets worse than getting better I really don't think there'd be anything I can do. So please give me some advice. Thank you.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d expand the search range for a decent vet. 50km is not really very far so maybe there are better qualified vets a little further away.

doucmates

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cisem Isikoglu
Well the problem is, I don't have a car so I can't travel to other cities (I am in Turkey so 50 km is almost the size of the city I'm in). There's one vet that I'm sure is an avian vet but it's on the other side of the country, around 500km away, it's very hard to get an appointment. It'd be too stressful for her also hard and pricey to go to. I've called literally all the vets in my city and this one was the only one that could run tests on birds.
She's currently sleeping and her feathers look a lot better it's just the cinnamony oil smell that didn't go away. Her poops looks healthy again and she's eating&drinking fine. The only worry I have now is her clicky breathing and sneezing. She's doesn't have open mouth breathing or serious tail bobbing. I'm still trying to find a vet that's not hard to get to, train would be a great and less stressful option so I'll keep searching for one near.