• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need advice and help with my budgie.

birdieowne

Checking out the neighborhood
My budgie ( called charlie) is 6 years old and for about a month his poo is getting stuck to his feathers. (His left foot has also been staved so he can hardly put force on it) Preening for him has become much harder so this has prompt me to watch him 24/7. Whenever a build up of poop happens and he cant clean it himself I'd need to clean it off myself with warm water and a cotton-bud. Now this stresses him out so I try not to do it as often ONLY when necessary. Looking at him I see his health is declining and It makes me feel upset that I can't do anything for him. His diet is fine and we dont feed him anything he shouldn't get. His full back passage is filled with access poop and all over his feathers. He refuses to take a bath (hes been like that for a few years now) But it's gotten so bad that everything is just stained with poop.. He now sleeps a lot more and is only sorta active in the mornings.. I've taken him to a vet 2 times so far for a checkup on his foot and that situation is looking permanent since his age.. I'm scared because I love him and I don't want him to die on me. Could someone please give me advice on what to do and how would I go about cleaning his bum fully without stressing him out?

I would upload pictures but I dont want to hold him again today hes currently sleeping ontop of his cage so I dont want to disturb him

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Have you been to the vet? If so please go immediately.
I came into a situation like this with my budgie. My vet put him on a what I belive is a VERY small dosage of Metacam. After a fecal and blood test, we were told it was an infection that was very deep. The medication was to make his last few months better. I would suggest towelling him gently and using another soft towel with warm water on it to clean.

For his foot, he could have fallen. Again, this requires vet care.

Hope everything works out.

birdieowne

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you. Due to covid its hard to find an avian vet that will see him immediately. Hopefully we can get him seen as early as next week

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@budgieluv3 covered it well, I hope you can get him to a vet soon.

Be careful about blood tests, they're pretty risky for small birds.

I think @Lady Jane can tell you what tests you should get done.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
feel upset that I can't do anything for him.
The best option for you is to call an avian vet and let them this will be an urgent visit for your bird. They should see you for this. You may have to sit outside in your car but bird will be taken into the vet for exam. The droppings not being normal is of concern.