• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I need a urgent help

mgo

Checking out the neighborhood
Guys i really need help. An earthquake ocurred tonight and my cockatiel feels the earthquake few seconds ago and go crazy. I was sleeping and my cockatiel was outside of the cage. When i wake up in this morning i saw him like that. I don't know what to do. All the veterinaries closed because of quarantine. So i need some help about it what i have to do? There is a small amount of blood on her head and its clotted. IMG_20200325_104811.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it’s not bleeding I’m not sure there is much you can do for her now other than keep her quiet. Monitor her eating, behaviour and poop and let her rest.

@Mockinbirdiva @Birdbabe @enigma731

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks like a nasty injury there with cuts on the head. How is your bird behaving right now? Does it seem to be in shock or stressed? I took a quick look and found this: Though, for the time being I would want to treat for shock if your bird is behaving as in puffed up with eyes closed.. and where are you located?

Treat for Shock

Birds that are in shock appear weak, unresponsive, fluffed up and breathe in slowly and out quickly. Place the bird in a quiet, semi-dark, warm, humid environment. Warmth is essential – temperature should be between 25 and 30 degrees ( 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit) . Place a clean cloth or some newspaper in the bottom, which is laid out flat. A hot water bottle can be filled with hot water from the tap and wrapped in a slightly damp cloth, which is placed near the bird. The bird will take 4 to 6 hours to recover from shock – if it doesn’t – seek advice. While the bird is in shock, don’t force it to eat or drink.

When the Bird has recovered from Shock
Visually examine the bird

Stand a short distance away and examine the bird visually. Look for any deformity, unusual wing positions or lameness. Note the following:

• Eyes – should be both open and bright. Pupils should be equal in size. Unequal pupil size may indicate head trauma. If eyes are partly closed then the bird is unwell. One eye closed may mean an injury or infection. Check to see if the bird responds to the movement of your hand.
  • Head – head nodding, head tilting and periods of eye closing can indicate severe illness or trauma.
  • Breathing – a healthy bird’s breathing is hard to detect.

• Cuts and Wounds

Cuts and wounds can be gently cleaned with a dilute solution ( 50% water-50%) of antiseptic such as Savlon or Hydrogen Peroxide 1% or a solution of warm salt water. Don’t remove any clots of blood as this can start the bleeding again.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You might also call around to all your veterinarians that do see birds to see if they will at least give you advice over the phone. Some clinics may even let you pick up any medications or wound treatment by meeting you in the parking lot. If your bird is in pain she will at least need some pain medication.

I would hold off on cleaning those wounds for the time being... let him get over the shock.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Just in case you have aftershocks from the earthquake I would prepare a large bin ( see through, bottom lined with paper, a top with holes or the grate from a cage) or crate to put your bird in. If it spooks again it could further injure itself.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How is your bird doing now?