• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need a second opinion on my hamster's gender

H.Z

Meeting neighbors
So the babies from the accidental litter I wrote about here:
are now fully weaned and ready to live in their own enclosure. I think there's 2 females and 1 male but I need a second opinion just to be extra safe. Did I get the genders right?

(this plastic cup they are in in the photos was just for transporting them into the new enclosure as they are not tame yet)
hamster1.jpg hamster2.jpg hamster3.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
It’s very hard to tell from pictures but I would say your second ones male and maybe two females but I can’t Really see

H.Z

Meeting neighbors
It’s very hard to tell from pictures but I would say your second ones male and maybe two females but I can’t Really see
Thanks! That's what I thought too.

AniemDarie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Aniem Darie
Hey! Getting a second opinion on your hamster's gender is always a good idea.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a post from March 2023. I imagine the original poster has resolved the issue to their satisfaction :)

AniemDarie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Aniem Darie
Hey! Getting a second opinion on your hamster's gender is always a good idea.
Check out Hamster Care | Hamster Now for some helpful tips. Sometimes, it can be a bit tricky to determine, but observing their behavior and looking for certain signs can be key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: H.Z

Boodylis

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm no expert, but those pictures definitely look like a female hamster to me. Especially considering the distance between the "two dots" – males tend to have them much closer together.

Boodylis

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm no expert, but those pictures definitely look like a female hamster to me. Especially considering the distance between the "two dots" – males tend to have them much closer together.
Here's a handy guide I found online that might be helpful too: Hamster Now - Your Ultimate Hamster Care Guide

Of course, if you want to be absolutely sure, a quick trip to the vet can settle the debate once and for all. They've got the golden touch when it comes to these tiny fuzzballs! Anyway, I hope I was able to help you solve your problem. If it hasn't been resolved yet, of course.