• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need a little help/advice please

Susan and Oliver

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hello! I hope some of you with large bird experience would offer me a little advice. I'm working with a customer to design his new bird room for 3 macaws...B&G, Green Wing and a Hy. I've been making toys and crawling items for almost 15 years so have a good feel for toys, etc. What I don't have is any personal hands on experience with the biggest birds so wonder if you would help me out.

First thing I'm concerned with is what to use to connect oddballs or hanging playgyms to the ceiling. Thinking the Hy would make quick work of chain. Considering s/s rods with eyes for quick links at each end. Anyone have suggestion?

Also these 3 birds get along with each other but need escape routes when feathers get ruffled. Do you think 2 feeding stations is enough or best to have 3?

Appreciate any ideas you big birders can offer.

Thanks!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I don't have big macaws but I do have multiple birds. I would think 3 feeding stations would be better. My birds would squabble with just 2.

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hi Susan, my GWM is as docile as a cockatiel so I am no help. Let's try to get Sarah over here. @Macawnutz
I've heard they can be gentle giants. Can only imagine what it's like to have an XL companion. @Macawnutz knows the ropes with the big guys.

I don't have big macaws but I do have multiple birds. I would think 3 feeding stations would be better. My birds would squabble with just 2.
Thinking the same thing. Thanks for your comment.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello! I hope some of you with large bird experience would offer me a little advice. I'm working with a customer to design his new bird room for 3 macaws...B&G, Green Wing and a Hy. I've been making toys and crawling items for almost 15 years so have a good feel for toys, etc. What I don't have is any personal hands on experience with the biggest birds so wonder if you would help me out.

First thing I'm concerned with is what to use to connect oddballs or hanging playgyms to the ceiling. Thinking the Hy would make quick work of chain. Considering s/s rods with eyes for quick links at each end. Anyone have suggestion?

Also these 3 birds get along with each other but need escape routes when feathers get ruffled. Do you think 2 feeding stations is enough or best to have 3?

Appreciate any ideas you big birders can offer.

Thanks!
I can offer one to be aware of. Have had a military in past and fostered an abandoned B&G.
You mentioned hanging things from ceiling. My advice
is to make sure you use heavy eyelets with long threads, preferably minimum 3 inches of thread to screw into 2x 4 in ceiling behind drywall, if it has that. Make sure you actually place it in a stud.
Reason I say this is those birds are big and have a set of wings on them. For example, one time I missed the center of 2x4 and had a large rope ring that my macaws could hang out on. He got flapping his wings which in turn,began tightening the chain on which the rope ring hung. Thus unscrewed it with the power of wings. The whole kaboodle came crashing down. Lou jumped off of course. But come to find out a miss the 2x4 by a thread.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Shezbug

Wasn't there a thread recently @ night for me & day for you regarding keeping Macaws away from the ceiling... It was someone I believe that had been out of the US (NZ maybe) & someone came up w/ a homade version of a ceiling protector that may help @Susan and Oliver come up w/ a cheap fix to some of this? I think it was in the last week, maybe 2. But my timeframes could be a little off, been having brain fog.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It would be the acrylic circles you are referring to that they put on the top of chains to stop the birds getting to the ceiling. I should know what thread that is but I don’t :( I’m pretty sure it was me asking where to get them or what they’re made from. I think they can be seen in some of our members pics.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd use "stainless eye x eye swivels" to hang anything from the ceiling. They spin, allowing the toy to spin & not unscrew the eye hooks. Great for hanging orbs, boings, etc.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It would be the acrylic circles you are referring to that they put on the top of chains to stop the birds getting to the ceiling. I should know what thread that is but I don’t :( I’m pretty sure it was me asking where to get them or what they’re made from. I think they can be seen in some of our members pics.
I think it was you. We often post on so much of the same things in the wee hours of the morning/evening. Lol! I'm sorry, I know you're not in NZ. :wtf:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can run the chain to the ceiling through a piece of PVC pipe. Indestructible. Any hooks definitely need to be screwed into structural framing members or they will fail.

I would replace all the trim with 2x4 lumber and screw it on so it can be replaced as it’s destroyed.

For the big birds plexiglass is your friend. Get to know him well. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
3 feeding stations. Always enough for every bird even if they share. While all mine are flighted and can share they all have their own spaces. They each have their own tree and know it. Maui can come on Korbel's tree if Korbel allows it but if Korbel is not allowing it Maui has to leave, not the other way around.You cant kick someone off their own tree is my rules. ;) Just kindergarten stuff here.

Chains are fine for hanging if they are thick enough. As people mentioned get that eye bolt in a thick stud. Hy's and GW crack acrylic, I mean like rock candy! If you are trying to protect the ceiling the acrylic would have to be under the eye bolt and so wide they can't reach the ends. I gave up and use Frisbee's. Go ahead and chew it and I'll replace them as need be. :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
3 feeding stations. Always enough for every bird even if they share. While all mine are flighted and can share they all have their own spaces. They each have their own tree and know it. Maui can come on Korbel's tree if Korbel allows it but if Korbel is not allowing it Maui has to leave, not the other way around.You cant kick someone off their own tree is my rules. ;) Just kindergarten stuff here.

Chains are fine for hanging if they are thick enough. As people mentioned get that eye bolt in a thick stud. Hy's and GW crack acrylic, I mean like rock candy! If you are trying to protect the ceiling the acrylic would have to be under the eye bolt and so wide they can't reach the ends. I gave up and use Frisbee's. Go ahead and chew it and I'll replace them as need be. :)
Frisbees....what a great idea! Great idea!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
you're going to need a wide range of perch diameters, too. macawlove on FB has a good hanging feeding station. when you're arranging eyehooks for hanging things, keep the human in mind: you have to be able to get in there without ducking the whole time. I learned this with the aviary.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
when you're arranging eyehooks for hanging things, keep the human in mind: you have to be able to get in there without ducking the whole time. I learned this with the aviary.
Now you tell me. Explains my hunchback. :lol: