• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I must have the best fed wild pigeons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I feed wild birds, and over the years have accumulated a small flock of wild pigeons. I don't feed during the summer months, but in the evenings, I do toss out my unused parrot/budgie food when I refresh their food. At first, the pigeons wouldn't touch the pellets or the fruit/veggies, first trying to gobble up the parrot seed, then fighting with the sparrows for the budgie seed. Now, the first thing they go for is the pellets. Then they jump the fence into the veggie garden (that's where I throw the discarded veggies and fruit) and pick through that. The budgie seed is now left mainly for the sparrows. I must have the only wild flock of pigeons that love parrot pellets.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I also toss out my pellet/seed mixture and for a long time it seemd to be "picked over" and I end up throwing it out. But lately that platter has been licked clean! I put it out late afternoon/early evening and by morning all of it is gone! I think it is deer eating it as many of my plants have also been eaten.:(

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
I have well-fed wild ones too. They go into the rabbit/guinea run and pinch their pellets, fruit, water etc. Must take a pic - 2 rabbits, 1 guinea and wild birds. Yet there is never any fighting.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
us too...we toss out all the leftovers and unused....we have the fattest doves I have ever seen..

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Whatever the birds and squirrels don't eat, I know for sure, the skunks living under the deck eat and I'm sure the possum living under the front stoop checks it out as well as the raccoon that we have seen wandering around sometimes.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Thats really a great idea.. :highfive:

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
That is so cool! We feed the moscovy ducks, we buy cracked corn in bulk and make sure they get some whenever they want. They are huge and so friendly, they eat from our hands. They also get thrown pellets and left over birdie bread and stuff. They actually come and knock with their beaks on the sliding glass door in the back near the pond, and if we don't answer then they go around the house to the front and wait until one of us leaves! Lol. We also have squirrels that come for nuts almost every day.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I sometimes do that for the wild birds too :)

Inverted Hammerhead?

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Olivia
That's a good idea. We have huge flocks of brewers blackbirds wheeling around this time of year. I'm sure the leftover pellets and greens wouldn't be wasted on them...

Status
Not open for further replies.