• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I may adopt a Meyer's

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I am in discussions with the owner of a 6-year-old Meyer's. I've asked about the bird's health history and the reason it needs to be re-homed. My issue is, the owner is asking $1,500. That seems high to me. I found a couple ads for baby Meyer's which are selling for $2,500. But I've also read online that baby Meyer's run from $500-$1000.

Does anyone have thoughts about whether $1,500 is in the ballpark for a 6-year old of this species. I know they can live 25+ years, the asking price just seems a bit high.

Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is the price including a cage? Has the bird been vetted recently?

I bought a bird for $100 and luckily already had a cage. It still only took me a couple months to get up to $1500 in expenses!

If you won't be needing to buy a new cage, toys, or go to the vet immediately, $1500 can be a steal. All depends on the details. A $2500 baby is the bird only... Even if $1500 is the bird only, if it's a well socialized adult, that's definitely worth something :)

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
Thanks so much for responding. It's the bird only as I would have to have the bird shipped via Delta. I e-mailed the owner because I've heard from others that hand-fed babies are going for about $1,000. So I would need the price to come down considerably for me to adopt a 6-year-old.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For me personally, I won't adopt a baby. Not a moral reason, I just hate dealing with puberty etc and have had better luck with adults overall.

Without knowing more details, the price is what it is. You can negotiate but they have their reasons for asking for that amount whether it's what the bird is "worth" or not. If it's feeling too expensive, then walk away. :)

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
Does anyone have experience with Janice Milholland in FL or Ozzie's Nest in LA? Or recommendations for other breeders? Please PM me if you do. Thank you!

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Thanks so much for responding. It's the bird only as I would have to have the bird shipped via Delta. I e-mailed the owner because I've heard from others that hand-fed babies are going for about $1,000. So I would need the price to come down considerably for me to adopt a 6-year-old.
Hmmm, I would be very careful to make sure its a legit deal before paying. Lots of pet breeder scams online.