• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I made the decision to clip! Warning: Long Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodeg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jo Anne
(I also posted this on TalkParrotlets, but was so surprised at the change in my birds, I just HAD to post it here also!)

I have 3 P'lets: Kermit, a male; Angelina, a female; and Kiwi, a female.

Kiwi been plucking for about a year and a half now. I have tried everything to help her, but she still plucks. She was checked by the vet and is healthy. When she started pucking (she was my only bird then), I let her wing feathers grow out, thinking it might help. It didn't, but she loved to fly.

Recently she barbered her wing feathers so badly that she could no longer fly. I have also allowed Kermit and Angelina's wing feathers to grow back in. The have both been gradually getting more aggressive, but were still manageable. Once Kermit figured out that Kiwi couldn't fly, he started attcking her at every opportunity and became much more aggressive.

Last night was the last straw. I usually spend an hour with them every evening before they go to bed (they are housed in separate HQ cages). I opened their doors to take them out and Kermit immediately flew into Kiwi's cage and started attacking her. I put my hand in to stop it. Kiwi jumped out of her cage to get away and fell to the floor. Before I could rescue her, Kermit flew out and started attacking Angelina! I again put my hand between them to stop the fight. Kermit then flew onto my shoulder and bit the c--p out of my neck and flew off. All this happened in about 30 seconds. No one was hurt (except my neck!).

I managed to catch Kermit and put him back into his cage. Boy was he mad! I spent a peaceful hour with the other two, while Kermit raged in his cage, running up and down, here and there, wanting OUT!

I had read in one of my Parrotlet handbooks that they will sometimes get more aggressive once they figure out they can fly and you can't, which is what has happened. I was getting to the point that I didn't want to handle Kermit and Angelina because of the constant attacks. The book advised clipping their wings to help calm them down and help with the bonding process. They also had instructions on how to do it.

I decided this is what I had to do. I was sad about it, because they love to fly, but the four of us couldn't go on this way. Years ago, I had a Blue Front Amazon Parrot and I always took care of his beak, nails and wings, but he was much bigger. BUT I thought I'd give it a try.

Following the instructions and picture in the book made it very easy. Neither Kermit or Angelina struggled or tried to bite me, which surprised me. I clipped six primary feathers on each wing. That was enough for Angelina, but I needed to clip two more on each wing on Kermit to keep him from gettng too much "lift".

THE CHANGE IN THESE TWO BIRDS WAS IMMEDIATE!!! I expected it to take a day or two for them to calm down, but they immediately stopped biting and they perch calmly on my finger. I could take them out of their cages and put them back without any "I don't want to" drama. I could give little beaky kisses with no biting! IT WAS AMAZING!!!

As we all have said, this is a personal decision based on each bird's situation. I was sad to do this, but now I'm happy I did it. I think this will bond them to me better and they'll be much calmer to.

Sorry for the long post, but I was so amazed at this, I just had to share my experience! :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well thank goodness it worked so well and so fast..and thanks for sharing your experience I am sure other parottlet and bird owners will benefit from this knowledge. please keep us updated on how it works out in the long run.

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Hey thats great! I would have expected a few days for them to calm down, too.

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
bicker does occur and does calm down, they may of just needed more time, unless blood was being drawn- then sure they would of been fine :)
it would be expected if they have just found out the can fly and escape, and they will pick on a weaker member off the flock
sometimes we have to endure some heavy bites to out necks and shoulders, but it's a test of dominance with our kaks and a simple 'ARK' stops them fighting (as one was hacked and has to run along the floor. so gets bullied) or a 'come here' stops them in their tracks

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I think you made the right call. Sometimes, clipping really is the best thing. Maybe peace will become the norm and you can try letting them grow back and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised...or not...LOL

I am not surprised you saw immediate changes...it usually happens that way:)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
you did right id have clipped to so dont feel bad wings grow back try it again time might be better next round if not clip , i have said many times i wish mango was clipped i had space then , now he lives on me :rofl: wont let me move or do a thing so im his during his waking hours , after all isnt this why i have a bird :laughing12::laughing12::laughing12::dance5::dance5::dance4::dance4:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
(I also posted this on TalkParrotlets, but was so surprised at the change in my birds, I just HAD to post it here also!)

I have 3 P'lets: Kermit, a male; Angelina, a female; and Kiwi, a female.

Kiwi been plucking for about a year and a half now. I have tried everything to help her, but she still plucks. She was checked by the vet and is healthy. When she started pucking (she was my only bird then), I let her wing feathers grow out, thinking it might help. It didn't, but she loved to fly.

Recently she barbered her wing feathers so badly that she could no longer fly. I have also allowed Kermit and Angelina's wing feathers to grow back in. The have both been gradually getting more aggressive, but were still manageable. Once Kermit figured out that Kiwi couldn't fly, he started attcking her at every opportunity and became much more aggressive.

Last night was the last straw. I usually spend an hour with them every evening before they go to bed (they are housed in separate HQ cages). I opened their doors to take them out and Kermit immediately flew into Kiwi's cage and started attacking her. I put my hand in to stop it. Kiwi jumped out of her cage to get away and fell to the floor. Before I could rescue her, Kermit flew out and started attacking Angelina! I again put my hand between them to stop the fight. Kermit then flew onto my shoulder and bit the c--p out of my neck and flew off. All this happened in about 30 seconds. No one was hurt (except my neck!).

I managed to catch Kermit and put him back into his cage. Boy was he mad! I spent a peaceful hour with the other two, while Kermit raged in his cage, running up and down, here and there, wanting OUT!

I had read in one of my Parrotlet handbooks that they will sometimes get more aggressive once they figure out they can fly and you can't, which is what has happened. I was getting to the point that I didn't want to handle Kermit and Angelina because of the constant attacks. The book advised clipping their wings to help calm them down and help with the bonding process. They also had instructions on how to do it.

I decided this is what I had to do. I was sad about it, because they love to fly, but the four of us couldn't go on this way. Years ago, I had a Blue Front Amazon Parrot and I always took care of his beak, nails and wings, but he was much bigger. BUT I thought I'd give it a try.

Following the instructions and picture in the book made it very easy. Neither Kermit or Angelina struggled or tried to bite me, which surprised me. I clipped six primary feathers on each wing. That was enough for Angelina, but I needed to clip two more on each wing on Kermit to keep him from gettng too much "lift".

THE CHANGE IN THESE TWO BIRDS WAS IMMEDIATE!!! I expected it to take a day or two for them to calm down, but they immediately stopped biting and they perch calmly on my finger. I could take them out of their cages and put them back without any "I don't want to" drama. I could give little beaky kisses with no biting! IT WAS AMAZING!!!

As we all have said, this is a personal decision based on each bird's situation. I was sad to do this, but now I'm happy I did it. I think this will bond them to me better and they'll be much calmer to.

Sorry for the long post, but I was so amazed at this, I just had to share my experience! :)
Congratulations. I'm so glad that it is making things more manageable.

jodeg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jo Anne
Thanks, everyone, for your support! It was a tough decision, but :omg: it's certainly much more peaceful around here! They are so much calmer! Right now, I'm in "their" room, and Kiwi and Kermit are playing around on top of two of the HQ cages, no fighting, no biting. Angelina is peacefully sitting on my shoulder, grinding her beak -- ahhhhh, it's great! They all seem so much more contented!

They are quickly learning to glide safely to the ground now when they attempt to fly, so no crash landings any more. After they land, they look around and run over to me to be picked up -- cute!

Also, at bedtime (everybody back in their own cage), there's no more "I don't want to" drama. They hop on my finger, get a beaky kiss, and off to bed they go!

I have my babies back :heart: -- this is wonderful! :dance4:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Parrotlets are such challenging birds. I went through the same thing with Harper and Maddie attacking each other. I've just had to rotate who is out when I can't watch them or be right there when they are all out so I can stop them if they fight. Maddie has actually let up on Harper a lot since she barbered her wing feathers and can't fly. Harper is much more submissive now, and I think Maddie respects that and gives her her distance. She is not very happy about Beau trying to make friends with her, but has been ignoring him lately. I find with Maddie if she is being a brat, what works the best is to just hold her head (with my pointer finger and thumb) so she can't bite and cup her in my hand. I wouldn't do that with Harper because she is terrified enough of me, but Maddie isn't scared of anything and it usually calms her down.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I know it was a very hard decision to make (one I'm also considering) and I am so happy for you that all is working out. I think you did the right thing. I bet it's a great feeling to have your sweet little babies back.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I'm glad everything has worked out for you! :highfive:

On Friday, I went and got my bratty lovebird clipped and I have felt horrible ever since. It changed him completely! But, something had to be done because he was being such a little monster, even chasing after our dogs! I am going to take this advantage to work on training him like I should have done long ago! :o:

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
I find this happens a lot with the little birds. I feel you made the right choice. And I even encourage it to new adoptees. My little Lu, was very bitey the day we took her in. I clipped her and she INSTANTLY became sweet and lovey (pun intended). As SOON as her wings came back and she could fly...INSTANT attack again. The moment she did it, I said oooh no, we are NOT having this, and I clipped her. And yep sure enough she INSTANTLY went back to sweet.

jodeg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jo Anne
It's amazing how this works! All 3 went from clipped when I got them, to letting their wing feathers grow in, so it happened gradually. I just couldn't figure out what was going on with them! When I remembered that section in one of my Parrotlet books about clipping helping calm aggressive birds, I thought I might as well give it a try, I could always let them grow back in.

The days since I clipped them have been SO CALM and SO PEACEFUL, I'm convinced! I never knew this would make such a difference!

This is a personal decision for each of us, but as for me and my three, clipping is the way to go. BTW, before this, I was an advocate for flighted birds (in safe conditions of course), so this has been an eye-opening experience for me!

All I can say is, "AHHHHHH, this is wonderful!" :laughing12:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Yep, clipping is a good thing for the right reasons. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.